PDA

View Full Version : R44 (M) procedures for the MEL

ghidi89
19th Dec 2019, 07:25
Hi gents,

Could anyone help me with some information?
I have been asked be my company to look into the MEL of a R44 and find out what are the (M) procedures. Does any of you know what these procedures are for each specific MEL item installed on the aircraft that is marked with an (M)? As I couldn't find anything in the maintenance manual...

Much appreciated and kind regards
Silviu

212man
19th Dec 2019, 09:01
Hi gents,

Could anyone help me with some information?
I have been asked be my company to look into the MEL of a R44 and find out what are the (M) procedures. Does any of you know what these procedures are for each specific MEL item installed on the aircraft that is marked with an (M)? As I couldn't find anything in the maintenance manual...

Much appreciated and kind regards
Silviu

Are you referring to an operator's MEL or the Regulator approved MMEL? MMEL seems quite self-explanatory to me: http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/mmel/r22%20-%20r44_rev%203.pdf (http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/mmel/r22%20-%20r44_rev%203.pdf)

gulliBell
19th Dec 2019, 13:34
An (M) symbol in column 4 of the MMEL/MEL indicates that a specific maintenance procedure must be accomplished before beginning operation with the listed item of equipment inoperative. The aircraft mechanic will do what the MEL says to do and an appropriate endorsement will be made on the aircraft maintenance release.

212man
19th Dec 2019, 14:20
An (M) symbol in column 4 of the MMEL/MEL indicates that a specific maintenance procedure must be accomplished before beginning operation with the listed item of equipment inoperative. The aircraft mechanic will do what the MEL says to do and an appropriate endorsement will be made on the aircraft maintenance release.

Exactly - hence my comments. E.g from my link:

2140-01
Cabin Heating

System
C
(M) May be inoperative provided the valve is secured to the "OFF" position.

JimEli
19th Dec 2019, 15:11
The MEL is intended to permit operation with inoperative equipment for a period of time while deferring a repair. Since the maintenance manual primarily covers removal/replacement and repair of certain items, the requirements in the MEL don’t necessarily reflect a specific procedure in the manual. For example, you will not find a procedure in the manual for “…seat must be blocked and placarded,” just like you won't find a procedure on how to use a wrench to remove a bolt. It is left to the discretion of the person performing the procedure. Furthermore, MEL conditions and limitations do not relieve the operator from determining that the aircraft is in condition for safe operation with these items inoperative.

ghidi89
19th Dec 2019, 17:26
Firstly, thank you very much for your reply.
I have consulted the MMEL and built the company one from it. Also, I have removed as per the CAA request the items that were marked as not fitted.
The question from them was for this specific item (floats), which we plan to use only for Part-NCO, and are marked with (M). They were asking if there is any other specific procedure for this item other than the one specified in the MEL (or in the maintenance manual), which I couldn't find any.ATA CHAPTER: 25 Equipment and furnishings
PAGE: 25-10
(1) System & sequence numbers
(2) Rectification Interval
item

(3) Number installed

(4) Number required for dispatch

25-60-7 Emergency floatation equipment

(5) Remarks or exceptions
25-60-7A (OTHER THAN CAT)
D
Any in excess of those required may be inoperative.
25-60-7B (ALL)
D
May be inoperative for flights over land (including take-off and landing)
25-60-7C (Performance Class 3)
C
(M) May be inoperative provided:

(a) Take-off and landing are not performed over water, and

(b) Flight is not conducted over water beyond safe forced landing distance

Kind regards,
Silviu

P.S. Sorry about the formatting but i haven't got the required amount of posts to be able to upload pictures.