PDA

View Full Version : Accident Investigator Flying

tcasblue
18th Dec 2019, 01:31
I saw an advertisement for an accident investigator at the AAIB recently and noticed that they are looking for an experienced pilot in this ad. The ad also stated that....
"You will be given the opportunity to maintain your license privileges and expand your commercial and general aviation experience"

Does anybody know any further details of what sort of flying is done by these investigators?

Loose rivets
18th Dec 2019, 01:49
I have the vaguest memory of a Ministry of Aviation* chap joining our company, possibly British Eagle, and being checked out as a captain. It's possible he was under constant line-check.

*Could have been the ARB back then.

Locked door
18th Dec 2019, 05:54
Big Airways has several CAA and AAIB staff at the bottom of the seniority list. They always fly with trainers as recency is an issue.

OvertHawk
18th Dec 2019, 07:22
My understanding is that most AAIB investigators with pilot (as opposed to engineering) backgrounds fly the line for various operators on a part time basis to maintain their knowledge and skills. (Although some have retired from flying for age or medical reasons).

Bergerie1
18th Dec 2019, 07:54
OvertHawk,

That is right, I flew with several of them on route flights which they did for recency/familiarisation. They flew in the LHS acting as P1, while I acted as co-pilot, but retaining command.

Waldo
18th Dec 2019, 08:32
Yes they do some line flying with a trainer normally.
We had an interesting situation at my last annual safety test.
The CAA inspector was required to attend and pass the airbus safety exam. Unfortunately he failed spectacularly and had to have one to one tuition to get through!

Sleeve Wing
18th Dec 2019, 09:50
Not surprising really, Waldo, considering their lack of recency and day-to-day involvement due to other duties.
I've flown with DoT/MoA/CAA pilots in the past and they have all been good, (except one !) just rusty.
I did a check ride on one once and he flew a perfect manual ILS but one dot limits, to the left of centreline and low, all the way down !
You try it, say, after your annual holiday...... ;-)

Thread Creep Alert
Btw, we should be discussing AAIB inspectors, not CAA inspectors.

Abbey Road
18th Dec 2019, 16:07
I did a check ride on one once and he flew a perfect manual ILS but one dot limits, to the left of centreline and low, all the way down !
Not really "perfect" then, is it? Did you, perhaps, mean 'steady'?

zerograv
18th Dec 2019, 20:54

Heard that that is how they test the testers. On such situation they will fly on the full scale deflection.

Can result in very interesting discussions apparently

Sleeve Wing
18th Dec 2019, 22:17
>>>> Heard that that is how they test the testers. On such situation they will fly on the full scale deflection.
Can result in very interesting discussions apparently <<<<

Exactly that, zg. TIRE regrade.
Supposedly not out of limits therefore not a 'fail'.
But I failed him !
He made no attempt to correct back to the centreline within 30 secs., in fact not at all.
Yep, interesting discussion. He knew exactly what he was doing. :)