PDA

View Full Version : RAF info Needed!!!

Helgard
10th Aug 2002, 10:41
I am a South African Commercial pilot seeking information about flying for the RAF.

I have tried the RAF official webpage and they have told me the would send me the relevant info about a month ago!

SOme of the info I need is:
Can a South African fly for the RAF?
Is it an advantage/disadvantage to have a pilots liscense already?
Schooling requirements etc.etc?
Where can I get application forms?

I would appreciate to come in contact with someone who works at the RAF!

Thanks for the help!

Regards
Helgard ([email protected])

bakseetblatherer
10th Aug 2002, 10:57
Helgard,
South africans can fly in the RAF (as can any Commonwealth citizen) but there is sometimes a residency requirement in the UK- ie you have to have lived in the UK for 5 years before you can join, however this is often ignored.
It is an advantage to have a pilots licence 'cos you know the basics of flying and this will help you through your early training (and later stuff as well I would imagine if you end up going pie fleet- multi engine)
Schooling requirements are A level (or Sth A equivalent- I don't know) in english, and two more subjects and maths is a bonus -ie you don't need a degree.
I would contact the UK High Commission in Sth A and chat with the defence attache or the RAF rep for forms and interviews.
You need to be (I think) under 25 when you join for pilot but, like the residency requirement, this is often waived.
Good luck