PDA

View Full Version : Pilot dies in light plane crash at Oberon

Surreal
16th Dec 2019, 04:03
An investigation is underway after a light plane crash in the state’s Central West today.

About midday (Monday 16 December 2019), the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) detected a distress beacon registered to a light plane in the Kanangra National Park at Oberon.

A NSW Ambulance helicopter was tasked and located the aircraft. A paramedic was then winched down to the site and located the pilot, a man believed to be aged in his 70’s, and sole occupant, deceased.

A crime scene has been established by officers from Chifley Police District and POLAIR and Police Rescue officers will retrieve the body.

A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.

Desert Flower
16th Dec 2019, 05:02
Oh dear - not another one. Sad at any time but even more so this close to Christmas.

DF.

Squawk7700
16th Dec 2019, 08:11
Lots of smoke and low cloud around that area today. I noticed Mount Panorama was particularly bad.

mcoates
16th Dec 2019, 08:28
Any idea on what type of plane ? I have a freind (a lifelong pilot) at Little Hartley and he said it was not a good day for flying period.

Squawk7700
16th Dec 2019, 09:21
I believe it was a Bristell from Bathurst. Chap heading home from Wollongong where he departed from.

machtuk
16th Dec 2019, 09:59
Tragic-( Such events seems to touch a little of every pilot, wish we where not here on this sad page -(
We each are owed a death, sometimes it takes us before we are ready.
RIP aviator.

mcoates
17th Dec 2019, 03:51
From a local source in Bathurst.

Aircraft was a Bristell belonging to the owner of the flying school with the Jabiru six cylinder engine.

Pilot was 70 years old and from Bathurst.

Doing the owner of the aircraft a favour by flying it back to Bathurst because it had been stuck down in Wollongong when the owner couldn't fly it home for some reason.

RIP

Not sure if it was medical, engine or bushfire smoke at this stage.

Apparently ballistic parachute was deployed but they are not sure if it has gone off on impact or it was deployed for another reason, perhaps deployed too late and too close to the ground ?

Okihara
17th Dec 2019, 16:06
RIP.

Tough weeks for GA in Australia. Second Bristell down within days of the Moorabbin one :(

Dick Smith
17th Dec 2019, 23:41
Would anyone know if the aircraft had an installed ELT with a G-switch, or did the pilot turn the ELT on?

mcoates
18th Dec 2019, 00:19
Hello Dick, they are airframe mounted in the Bristell so probably G switch.

pilotdave69
19th Feb 2020, 03:28
From a local source in Bathurst.

Aircraft was a Bristell belonging to the owner of the flying school with the Jabiru six cylinder engine.

Pilot was 70 years old and from Bathurst.

Doing the owner of the aircraft a favour by flying it back to Bathurst because it had been stuck down in Wollongong when the owner couldn't fly it home for some reason.

RIP

Not sure if it was medical, engine or bushfire smoke at this stage.

Apparently ballistic parachute was deployed but they are not sure if it has gone off on impact or it was deployed for another reason, perhaps deployed too late and too close to the ground ?

The owner of the Bristell was bringing his plane back from Wollongong when the incident occurred. Another pilot had taken it down to the airport and couldn't fly it back. Sad times to a good friend.. Miss the guy alot...

KRviator
19th Feb 2020, 21:12
Everyone's favourite regulator has published this safety notice (https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/safety-notice-bristell-lsa-20-feb-2020-00000002.pdf) regarding the Bristell and hinting that it may not be compliant with the LSA rules as regards spin testing, and ability to recover from one and as a result, suggesting pilots avoid stalling the aircraft intentionally - including in a training environment.. I'm surprised they haven't come out with their usual knee-jerk reaction and grounded all the Bristells on the register and directed RAAus to do the same, so I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies, but I do wonder if this will have ramifications for blindly accepting other NAA's sign-offs for various things.

Squawk7700
19th Feb 2020, 21:36
I'm surprised they haven't come out with their usual knee-jerk reaction

Perhaps they should have...

There have been a significant number of deaths in these aircraft from a fleet of 200, possibly related to their stall/spin characteristics.