PDA

View Full Version : Colourblind: Ishihara & CAD (Question)

TD4_Reaper
12th Dec 2019, 09:18
Hi everyone, new here. Wanting to get a PPL and perhaps take it further, however i tend to fail the Ishihara test by getting 4 or 5 wrong.

I know i can most likely achieve a class 2 medical, but my question is;

Is there anybody who failed the ishihara and went for a CAD at city university and achieved a class 1 medical?

Just wondering if there's potentially hope for me yet

AA5 Flyer
14th Dec 2019, 20:56
The CAD test is definitely worth a go. I always failed the Ishihara test and the lantern test the CAA used to do. I thought I’d never be able to get a Class 1 but when they originally introduced the CAD test I was invited as one of the first people to take it. The good news is that I passed and got a Class 1! I vividly remember the CAA doctor saying he was very surprised I passed. Perhaps that shows what an unrealistic test the Ishihara is?

Go and take the CAD - you might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

TD4_Reaper
15th Dec 2019, 22:03
Cheers for the reply A5.

I have the CAD test tomorrow. Will let you know how i get on, don't hold much hope being that i fail the Ishihara though!

BombasticAce
16th Dec 2019, 12:37
I failed the Ishihara test doing my class 3 medical when I initially looked at completing my PPL (this was about 12 years ago). The CAD test is quite intense but it was worth it in the end as the CAA reviewed my medical and removed the day time only restriction, thus enabling me to pursue commercial flying as a profession in the future.

Best of luck for today I hope you are successful!

TD4_Reaper
16th Dec 2019, 15:35
8.9 on the red-green threshold. <6 needed for a class 1.

Yikes.

TD4_Reaper
22nd Dec 2019, 09:39
<6 for r/g and <12 for protan