PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get my ME IR with TR EASA

Robin Bol
9th Dec 2019, 18:52
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has some tips on a cheap and reliable company where to get an ME IR with the typerating. Would you recommend to get the MCC course as well?

I have around 220 hours done in the R44 and cabri, is it advisable to get the IR with this few hours?

Thanks in advance.

ersa
9th Dec 2019, 20:50
Look at some of the European nations eg. Norway , they have ME IR with twin and MCC at a fraction of the cost of the UK.

if you have the money to spend , why not ?.

would I spend the money in your position NO

Ovc000
10th Dec 2019, 04:04
I agree with Ersa, a fixed wing career would be my choice if I had to do it all again. And then just fly heli for fun maybe even do a bit of instructing.
Fixed wing aviation is still expanding, helicopter aviation is shrinking :'-(
But if you want to continue:
NL: Heliholland, don't know the company but they might keep you on for a bit of work. Helicentre in Lelystad don't do IR (yet) I think.
UK: Helicopter services in White Waltham or Castle Air in Gloucester
Norway; EHC

MCC: CRM europe in white waltham is a good company to do your MCC but most of the time, the company you're gonna work for will pay for it. Bit it could be the difference between your resume and another one.

A thing to consider is also, would the company where you do your IR give you work or how well are they connected with the Offshore/Onshore world ?

ersa
10th Dec 2019, 04:38
I agree with Ersa, a fixed wing career would be my choice if I had to do it all again. And then just fly heli for fun maybe even do a bit of instructing.
NL: Heliholland, don't know the company but they might keep you on for a bit of work. Helicentre in Lelystad don't do IR (yet) I think.
Norway; EHC

MCC: CRM europe in white waltham is a good company to do your MCC but most of the time, the company you're gonna work for will pay for it. Bit it could be the difference between your resume and another one.

A thing to consider is also, would the company where you do your IR give you work or how well are they connected with the Offshore/Onshore world ?

Just out of interest , is it still the case that an MCC needs to be performed in a helicopter sim , and the fixed wing MCC is not adequate ?

Robin Bol
10th Dec 2019, 06:00
What is the reason you're looking to get your IR?
Assuming you've got your CPL?
Yes I have my CPL and the ATPL IR theorie, I have the possibility to fly some hours at the moment but, especially in the winter season it is not much (like 1 flight of 1,5 hours this month).

Robin Bol
10th Dec 2019, 06:06
Norway; EHC

I know the possibilities in NL, have some good and some bad experiences with the ones you named 😉. However if there is a place in Scandinavië or eastern Europe to get the IR for a cheaper price I would prefer that. You are right, about looking for an IR provider who could give me work. Any tips on which companies this could be?*

ersa
10th Dec 2019, 07:42
Yes I have my CPL and the ATPL IR theorie, I have the possibility to fly some hours at the moment but, especially in the winter season it is not much (like 1 flight of 1,5 hours this month).

IFR is a skill, that unless kept current, it will perish , its highly unlikely anyone would give you any work after completing an IR. You really need to make some contacts and fly VFR,to gain some operational experience .

gipsymagpie
10th Dec 2019, 19:32
Babcock Onshore at Staverton can do TR, IR and MCC all on the same simulator/aircraft combo. Full motion simulator with identical cockpit to aircraft. Simulator has twin GTN750 and most aircraft have GTN750 too and have track bug making IF simples. Both sim and aircraft are fully PBN. The simulator as an FTD3 is streets ahead of other places that use fixed base FNPT2

Vantage Aviation can do you a SE IR which is relatively simple to convert to a twin IR when you convert to your first multi type.

ApolloHeli
10th Dec 2019, 21:16
EHC in Norway (https://en.ehc.no/helicopter-pilot/school/instrument/) do it for 470.000NOK all in (that's incuding the Type Rating). I chose EHC over Babcock because of 1) cost and; 2) I figured doing the initial training on good old steam gauges and a very basic autopilot is more useful training/experience than in doing it in a 4-axis AP/glass cockpit that can do almost everything for you on it's own. That's just my personal opinion and yours may differ, but it's something to keep in mind when making the decision on where to go and what to do it in.

gipsymagpie
10th Dec 2019, 21:34
I figured doing the initial training on good old steam gauges and a very basic autopilot is more useful training/experience than in doing it in a 4-axis AP/glass cockpit that can do almost everything for you on it's own.

Valid thought but remember it’s the hardest thing you have to do in training. Why make it hard? Plus glass + AFCS (actually only 3 axis at Babcock) experience will count for a lot going for a co pilot job which the OP is doing as he mentions MCC. And of course MCC is in the same sim

Helisweet
10th Dec 2019, 22:19
Go fix wing and avoid helo hell