PDA

View Full Version : Denham or Elstree

BarrFly
9th Dec 2019, 09:07
This has probably been done to death a million times already - and I did read the recent (upto two years ago) threads on the subject.

I had started my PPL about five years ago, but then had to give it up due to circumstances. Eager to get back into the cockpit again now.

I was wondering if I could get feedback or recommendations between a PPL at Denham versus at Elstree?

I live more or less equidistant between the two. I am probably going to be able to fit in a lesson a week or thereabouts.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Dec 2019, 16:24
Denham.

The schools at Elstree have a good reputation, but it's surrounded by conurbations, making getting in and out a pain, and the circuits huge and fiddly.

Denham also has a good school, but a tight circuit, a simple entry/exit route (admittedly to the North only because of Heathrow) and being much smaller, less mucking about on the ground.

G

horizon flyer
9th Dec 2019, 16:42
Agree with Genghis, Pilots Centre on the North side, used to have a 10% discount for prepayment of a £1000 on account, worth checking out hourly rated used to be the lowest in the area.

heli14
9th Dec 2019, 21:06
Another vote for The Pilot Centre Denham

TheOddOne
9th Dec 2019, 22:10
No-brainer - it's got to be Denham, for the reasons above and more.

TOO

OpenCirrus619
10th Dec 2019, 10:59
Another vote for the Pilots Centre

BarrFly
10th Dec 2019, 15:47
Thanks people.

I will head there and get a feel of the place.

rb14
11th Dec 2019, 14:45
I did my PPL at Denham and can absolutely recommend it. The Pilots' Centre is a good place to be. A plethora of great instructors.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2019, 16:46
Incidentally, unless it's changed hands, the cafe next to the pilot centre is excellent too. I particularly recommend the freshly made pizzas.

G

horizon flyer
11th Dec 2019, 19:16
Agree the café is a hidden gem. If coming out of London on public transport Denham train station is only a 10 minute walk away.
The airfield and the Pilots Centre are owned by the same family and seems very financially sound, so prepaying may not be to big a risks as at some other training sites. Happy flying.

22nd Dec 2019, 09:38
The airfield and the Pilots Centre are owned by the same family and seems very financially sound, so prepaying may not be to big a risks as at some other training sites. Happy flying.
CPL / CRI / FI done at The Pilot Centre. Very good school. They are not after your money as their first priority. Their first priority is to teach you how to fly safely.
My only worry would be if they would sell the airfield.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Dec 2019, 10:27
CPL / CRI / FI done at The Pilot Centre. Very good school. They are not after your money as their first priority. Their first priority is to teach you how to fly safely.
My only worry would be if they would sell the airfield.
Or HS2 gets built across it, which was a concern at one point, although the present maps suggest not.

http://www.thehs2.com/phase1/maps/showmap.php?place=Denham%20Aerodrome&type=dOSM&lat=51.586&lon=-0.522&zoom=13

G