piperjim
8th Dec 2019, 19:56
Hello folks,
I have the following flying experience.
Total Flying Experience 7,000 hrs
P2 (ATR 72) = 3000 hrs
P1 (ATR 72) = 2900 hrs
P1 B737 = 1100 hrs

I am interested in converting my Indonesian ATPL to Transport Canada ATPL, I have done the Class 1 medicals and am currently preparing for SARON, SAMRA and INRAT.

It will be greatly appreciated if anyone here can help me about how to transfer my current type ratings (ATR-72 and B-737) to Transport Canada ATPL.

Thanks

Climb150
9th Dec 2019, 02:06
I would love to say it will be easy but verification of an Indonesian license will be difficult. I assume you have another licence but the ATR and 737 type aren't on it?

piperjim
10th Dec 2019, 07:11
I would love to say it will be easy but verification of an Indonesian license will be difficult. I assume you have another licence but the ATR and 737 type aren't on it?
I do have an FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate, but as you guessed it has no type ratings on it. With regards to the verification from the Indonesian DGCA, it is a bit hectic and have to push the documents and clerks to get the work done, but it is possible. And I guess it will be worth it, if I can get both the type ratings on the Canadian ATPL. I am willing to undergo a Sim Check in Canada for the same (for both the aircrafts).

taufiqpilot
10th Dec 2019, 10:21
If you hold a FAA airman certificate with an instrument rating, I guess it is possible to save at least one exam. To convert your existing current FAA instrument to Canadian. And do the SAMRA and SARON due to the fact that both TC and FAA will recognize each qualification to ease the conversion process. Check the TC web for detail of FAA to TC conversion.

Cheers

Neovolt
12th Dec 2019, 11:55
Hello folks,
I have the following flying experience.

I am interested in converting my Indonesian ATPL to Transport Canada ATPL, I have done the Class 1 medicals and am currently preparing for SARON, SAMRA and INRAT.

It will be greatly appreciated if anyone here can help me about how to transfer my current type ratings (ATR-72 and B-737) to Transport Canada ATPL.

Thanks
Hi piperjim

I am also looking to convert my Indian ATPL to Canadian ATPL. How are you preparing for SARON, SAMRA and INRAT..any website/forum offering online course OR study material and for how much...?
And maybe later I would also get the licence endorsed with A330 rating transfer with a SIM chk..thanks !

piperjim
17th Dec 2019, 04:42
Email recieved from Transport Canada on the same issue.
Experience

An applicant shall have completed flight training on the aeroplane type and have completed a minimum of 250 hours pilot flight time on aeroplanes.

(iii) Skill

The applicant shall comply with one of the following requirements:
(amended 2005/12/01)

· (A) An applicant shall have passed a pilot proficiency check conducted in accordance with Part VII of the Canadian Aviation Regulations for that aeroplane type within the 12 months preceding the application for the rating or passed a pilot proficiency check acceptable to the Minister for that aeroplane type within 12 months preceding the application for the rating;
(amended 2005/12/01)

· (B) An applicant who successfully completes a Line Operational Evaluation (LOE) from an approved Advanced Qualification Program (AQP) within the 12 months preceding the application for the rating shall be considered to have met the pilot proficiency check requirement pursuant to Part VII of the Canadian Aviation Regulations; or
(amended 2005/12/01)

· (C) When employed by the holder of a private operator certificate issued pursuant to section 604.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, an applicant shall have successfully completed the operator’s training and proficiency program and be certified proficient for operations by the chief pilot within the 12 months preceding the application.
(amended 2005/12/01)

(5) Credits for Foreign Applicants

· (a) Qualifying Flight Requirement
(amended 2000/09/01)

The holder of a licence issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the qualifying flight requirement specified in 3(c)(iii), 3(g)(iii), 3(k)(ii), and 3(l) above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 10 hours pilot-in-command flight time on the appropriate aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for rating;
(amended 2005/06/01)

· (b) Pilot Proficiency Check Requirement

The holder of a licence with a two-crew type rating issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the Pilot Proficiency Check requirement specified in 3(a)(iii), 3(b)(iii), 3(f)(iii), and 3(g)(ii) above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 50 hours flight time on that aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for the rating.
(amended 2005/06/01)

AirUK
25th Nov 2020, 18:33
Hi there,

I've also posted my questions in another thread, but I've been searching for more information and haven't been very lucky so far.

I hold a UK CAA-issued ATPL(A) with B757/767 TR. I would like to obtain a Canadian ATPL as well. I wondered if anyone had been through the process and if so, would they be willing to answer a couple of questions for me please?

From what I understand, I need to carry out the following:

1. TC Class 1 medical - I can do this in the UK.
2. SAMRA/SARON/INRAT exams - is there a distance learning course or good study guide and/or practice questions for these? Also, can I sit thee exams anywhere in Europe or do I need to travel to Canada for that?
3. Training as required then Flight test - I assume this needs to be carried out in Canada, but perhaps there is an authorised instructor/examiner in the UK/EU who can do this?
4. Paperwork - as part of this my UK ATPL needs to be checked by TC - I am in full-time airline employment so I can't send this away, I guess the only option would be to book a flight to Canada to have the licence verified in person and have ny logbooks verified at the same time?

Have I missed anything else pertinent? I really appreciate anyone's assistance with this. I have a lot of family in Canada so the dream is to emigrate there one day, but for now I'd settle for just obtaining the licence. Thank you in advance, UK.

Ilyushin76
1st Oct 2021, 12:22
Also trying to convert my ICAO ATPL to Transport Canada ATPL.

Issue - 250 p1 hours. for the ATPL. Where I come from, P1 starts when you get promoted to Captain. Therefore, half of P2 is automatically credited to P1, hence the P1 requirements are met.

Doesn't seem to be the case in Canada though. Any way around it?

Hotoffthepress
13th Oct 2021, 05:44
Hi Guys.

I’m currently in the same boat, converting my ICAO ATPL towards a TC ATPL.
I’m wondering if you guys have completed the process, and could forward any tips?

I have obtained my Medical.

I am planning on sitting the 3 exams in January 2022.
(How did you all prepare for these? I’ve been recommended to use Nizus or Aerocourse)

Afterwards I’ll book a Simulator with CAE Toronto for the required Flight Test.

My concern is the hours requirement - I have 3300HR, with A320 and A330 Type Ratings. However I don’t specifically meet the P1 requirement, as nearly all my experience is on Airbus classified as P1U/S and P2.

Cheers

MustafaLaskar
23rd Oct 2021, 18:09
How long does it take for Transport Canada (TC) to issue Medical Certificates? I did my initial medical (first time in Canada) on May 08, 2021? There were no issues with the medical fitness. It is almost 05 months, I have not received anything. I called TC Canada almost every day for the last couple of days, no one picks up. Visited the office in Younge Street, Toronto a month back, no one was present there. Three weeks ago, they emailed me a file number and informed me that the file was in queue. Is it that busy? I was planning to get the licensing done (ICAO ATPL to TC ATPL) before January 2022 but I guess that may not be possible given the speed at which TC is working.

Thanks
M
(TT 7000, B737NG P1 2700, E145 P1 2600, E145 P2 900, Military Jets 800)

lee_apromise
31st Oct 2021, 18:03
Hi Guys.

I’m currently in the same boat, converting my ICAO ATPL towards a TC ATPL.
I’m wondering if you guys have completed the process, and could forward any tips?

I have obtained my Medical.

I am planning on sitting the 3 exams in January 2022.
(How did you all prepare for these? I’ve been recommended to use Nizus or Aerocourse)

Afterwards I’ll book a Simulator with CAE Toronto for the required Flight Test.

My concern is the hours requirement - I have 3300HR, with A320 and A330 Type Ratings. However I don’t specifically meet the P1 requirement, as nearly all my experience is on Airbus classified as P1U/S and P2.

Cheers

TC does not recognize PICUS/P1US obtained under foreign air carriers. CAR explicitly says PIC time required for ATPL can only be substituted by PICUS time obtained from Canadian operators approved for PICUS program.

That's why many Canadian FOs go on unpaid leave to build the required PIC time by doing 703 gigs.

+TSRA
1st Nov 2021, 17:34
How long does it take for Transport Canada (TC) to issue Medical Certificates? I did my initial medical (first time in Canada) on May 08, 2021? There were no issues with the medical fitness. It is almost 05 months, I have not received anything. I called TC Canada almost every day for the last couple of days, no one picks up. Visited the office in Younge Street, Toronto a month back, no one was present there. Three weeks ago, they emailed me a file number and informed me that the file was in queue. Is it that busy? I was planning to get the licensing done (ICAO ATPL to TC ATPL) before January 2022 but I guess that may not be possible given the speed at which TC is working.

Thanks
M

Not speaking in an official capacity as I don't work for Transport Canada, but they are just a little busy dealing with all the recall paperwork from pilots at all the airlines. I am a check pilot though, so I do see the speed you're seeing. To give you some perspective on the issue, they are only now processing the check rides I did back in March because that's how busy they are.

Also, the airline I work for is bringing back in one month the same number of pilots we would hire in 6 months. That's one airline. Multiply that by the four other major airlines who laid off plus all the other corporate and regional airlines, and you have your answer why it is taking so long. TC is short-staffed at the best of times, so new applications have likely taken a back seat to the thousands of pilots returning to work. They all need medicals, check rides, security passes, and everything else that goes along with making sure they get back to work, so they naturally take priority over a new application. January 2022 is the next time my airline will be training the next batch of recalls and it sounds as though we'll be doing new hires for the pool candidates by the spring, so all those people will come ahead of a new applicant as well.

I'm not saying that TC can't process a new application quickly during normal times, but this is not a normal time and new applicants are likely on the wrong side of the priority list right now. I'd factor at least 3 to 6 months into your plans just for paperwork delays.

MustafaLaskar
1st Nov 2021, 17:48
Thanks for the info. It will be helpful in my personal planning.

Hotoffthepress
2nd Nov 2021, 03:47
Not speaking in an official capacity as I don't work for Transport Canada, but they are just a little busy dealing with all the recall paperwork from pilots at all the airlines. I am a check pilot though, so I do see the speed you're seeing. To give you some perspective on the issue, they are only now processing the check rides I did back in March because that's how busy they are.

Also, the airline I work for is bringing back in one month the same number of pilots we would hire in 6 months. That's one airline. Multiply that by the four other major airlines who laid off plus all the other corporate and regional airlines, and you have your answer why it is taking so long. TC is short-staffed at the best of times, so new applications have likely taken a back seat to the thousands of pilots returning to work. They all need medicals, check rides, security passes, and everything else that goes along with making sure they get back to work, so they naturally take priority over a new application. January 2022 is the next time my airline will be training the next batch of recalls and it sounds as though we'll be doing new hires for the pool candidates by the spring, so all those people will come ahead of a new applicant as well.

I'm not saying that TC can't process a new application quickly during normal times, but this is not a normal time and new applicants are likely on the wrong side of the priority list right now. I'd factor at least 3 to 6 months into your plans just for paperwork delays.

Thank you for the update.

I've heard the same, TC maxing out which can only be good news.

I'm converting my license for a future move to Canada. I have plenty of time and am in no particular rush, happy to wait. I just hope to have no hiccups in the application.

All the best. Cheers.