PDA

View Full Version : 43 Air School + FAA licences

Piper Warrior Pilot
10th Aug 2002, 06:30
Ive considered the Orlando Flight Training Centre for my PPL next summer, and from what ive heard about the Visas, it sounds harder to get the visa than it does to get the actual licence.

The FTO did contact me and have sent a brochure out to me, so i will take a look through it.

Can anyone tell me if i would be able to fly G registered aircraft in the UK with an FAA licence. I know that most peoples answers will be 'dont bother with an FAA licence' but if someone could let me know what my options would be with it, id be grateful.

Also, ive been looking at the 43 Air School in South Africa who seem to have a very good reputation and are used by many African defence forces and South African Airlines to train their cadets. If anyone has any experiences or comments about them, id be very grateful if you could e-mail me.

Thankyou for everyones replies to my threads and im sory for being a pain in the a**e. ;)

Thanks Guys

Freak On A Leash
10th Aug 2002, 10:09
Are you only getting the FAA private in the States?I`d strongly advise you to go for the "whole package" with commercial/instrument/multi, as well as flight instructor, that is if you`re planning of making a career out of it.
It is my understanding that you can fly G registered aircraft with an FAA certificate, but only with PPL priveliges.But to be sure you should contact the UK CAA and ask about foreign license/certificate validations.This seems to be the norm throughout Europe with regards to the individual countries` CAAs.

If`ve you`re only planning on getting the private, then I`d say do it all in the UK so that you won`t get caught up in the validation beaurocracy.

The visa deal is more up to the flight school than yourself.Once they`ve given you the OK to enroll in a course, they`ll send you the papers/forms which you in turn bring to your local US embassy.There will be some days` waiting to get it approved (don`t know how bad it is nowadays) but this is normally not a big issue.

Don`t have any info about the SA scene, but Orlando FT seems to be OK - at least that`s what I`ve heard.Get in touch with some of their students and instructors to get the "reality facts" in stead of the "advertisement facts".

MVE
10th Aug 2002, 10:30
P W Pilot,
You can fly in the UK or any member country of JAA with any ICAO PPL BUT day VFR only AND the aircraft has to be registered in the country you fly AND you must stay within the countries borders.

There are plenty of good schools in SA, you'll find websites listed under the ICAO website. Do a search for ICAO PPL's in SA. Lots cheaper than 43 but 43 are a good school all the same.

Limey
10th Aug 2002, 13:58
PW Pilot

I am pretty sure that you can do the JAR ppl syllabus at Orlando

I am pretty sure that Cabair is the owner of OFT

So no conversion worries ! :) :cool: