PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand trials edible coffee cups to combat waste

PAXboy
5th Dec 2019, 20:00
Does what it says!
BBC web news (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50672553)
New Zealand's national airline says it is trialling edible coffee cups in a bid to reduce the amount of waste on board its planes.

The cups, by local company Twiice, are made from vanilla-flavoured biscotti - and are apparently "leak-proof".

Air New Zealand, which serves more than eight million cups of coffee a year, said it wanted to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills.

nonsense
6th Dec 2019, 01:31
That's one way to make the punters take the cups with them when they leave...

Alsacienne
6th Dec 2019, 05:08
Yum! Free nibbles ...or is there a BOB surcharge for the cup?

DaveReidUK
6th Dec 2019, 05:40
Grounds for optimism, then ... ?

PAXboy
6th Dec 2019, 12:20
DaveReidUK that comment had me grinding my teeth ...

crewmeal
7th Dec 2019, 06:40
I suppose it's similar to eating an ice cream cornet just a different flavour!

treadigraph
7th Dec 2019, 13:55
That's taking the biscuit...

Piper.Classique
8th Dec 2019, 09:10
So, they have to be coffee proof for how long? And if eaten, what chemicals are you now ingesting? Sounds like a not great idea to me. Not that the water was all that good to start with, if it's out of the tank. I think I'll stay with red wine and continue to pass on the coffee

MathFox
8th Dec 2019, 16:22
These cups would be poisonous for those needing a gluten-free diet!

PAXboy
8th Dec 2019, 16:30
I'm allergic to coffee, so no problem for me.

Ancient Observer
10th Dec 2019, 16:21
Whenever we get an interesting thread like this, someone comes along and makes a meal of it......

Alsacienne
10th Dec 2019, 17:14
Does the temperature of the enclosed liquid have any bearing on the impermeability of the surrounding cup material?

Rwy in Sight
10th Dec 2019, 20:11
I would be more concerned about how hygienically the cups are stored and handled from pax - I am told the table in front of the pax is not too clean.

TLDNMCL
11th Dec 2019, 01:15
I would be more concerned about how hygienically the cups are stored and handled from pax - I am told the table in front of the pax is not too clean.
Yep! That would be my concern too. Seen too many unpleasant things on tray tables to want to consume anything that has been in direct contact with them.

Paul Lupp
11th Dec 2019, 12:49
It's been in my mind for years - the best way of eliminating packaging waste is to make all packaging (particularly of food stuffs) edible.

Buy a new TV, eat the packaging. Buy a loaf of bread or a yogurt.... eat the packaging when the main food product is consumed. Simples ;-)