PDA

View Full Version : AFP King Air job ad

wishiwasupthere
5th Dec 2019, 00:29
https://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3755/B-350%20King%20Air%20Captain

$74k - $87k??? Call the cops, that’s highway robbery! :yuk:

spektrum
5th Dec 2019, 00:33
To add insult to injury they want to waste peoples time and put them on a 'hold file'.

Global Aviator
5th Dec 2019, 00:34
Ducking for cover here but is this not PC over the top?

If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact [email protected]

Or is there a condition that would mean one could not read this but still hold a class 1?

Yes pay seems a little low, however 6 weeks leave plus 4 mandatory rest days per year???

It is a gubment job to there are certain benefits.

However advertising to create a hold pool if you read it all.........

wishiwasupthere
5th Dec 2019, 00:38
NSW Police pay more to fly their Caravan.

KRUSTY 34
5th Dec 2019, 02:06
NSW Police pay more to fly their Caravan.

Beat me to it!

geeup
5th Dec 2019, 02:52
You guys are on drugs!

15.4% super, 6 weeks annual leave with a flexible roster.

Job security is all but guaranteed.

Is that not better then most other turbo prop jobs??

What is REX & QLink etc paying?

The surprise for me is no ATPL requirement for the 350 nor 2 crew

Squawk7700
5th Dec 2019, 03:18
6 weeks annual leave with a flexible roster.

You mean bucket loads of night shift ! That’s why they give you 6 weeks off!

j3pipercub
5th Dec 2019, 04:18
74k to fly a King Air about at all hours of the day and night? And you get to live in Canberra? I wonder if the flexibility is 2 way?

15.4% of 74k is still pretty low.

87k is nowhere near as good as other Turboprop jobs, the top tier of 87k here is pretty close or even below the lowest tier of RFDS and they’re struggling for pilots.

And job security is not guaranteed, a change in Government and cutbacks, and you may also find yourself out of work.

j3

Capt Fathom
5th Dec 2019, 04:24
Four mandatory rest days per year

Ok, someone care to enlighten me!

machtuk
5th Dec 2019, 04:28
Gee that's an appalling salary! Careflight are seeking Beech drivers and they offer $133K!
plenty of Guvmit admin positions would get similar and no shift work no medical no check & training! Kinda shows a pilot position is really more a trade than a professional position at that rate! YSCB would be the pits!
be interesting to see how many applied?

wishiwasupthere
5th Dec 2019, 04:30
Four mandatory rest days per year. Ok, someone care to enlighten me!

Probably a poor attempt by the AFP to stop its people from commuting suicide.

IFEZ
5th Dec 2019, 05:07
machtuk - most tradies I know are earning twice that figure. They're dreaming if they think anyone suitably qualified and experienced will sign on for that pittance. Amazes me how these organisations still keep trying it on though.

Squawk7700
5th Dec 2019, 05:21
Probably a poor attempt by the AFP to stop its people from commuting suicide.

That comment is in very poor taste especially towards those of us in those kinds of organisations.

Office Update
5th Dec 2019, 05:43
A privately operated B350 only requires a CPL as a minimum. (the Mass of the aircraft has nothing to do with S/P Ops)
All Beech turbo props assuming the minimum equipment for SP Ops is fitted can be flown single pilot. (fact!) Seating numbers may be limited for Charter Ops or RPT in S/P Ops
Salary on offer?, about one half of what the position is worth. + super + 6 weeks leave as a minimum. Canberra loading would be a good idea, along with rent/housing assistance.

RatsoreA
5th Dec 2019, 05:45
That comment is in very poor taste especially towards those of us in those kinds of organisations.

Poor taste, maybe. Accurate? Most definitely

De_flieger
5th Dec 2019, 05:49

If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact [email protected]

Or is there a condition that would mean one could not read this but still hold a class 1?

Probably just part of the standard boilerplate text that goes with every job ad they list? The way I read it the total pay includes a 22% composite allowance, so that takes it up to $91k-$106k approximately, which is a bit (not a lot though) better.

Squawk7700
5th Dec 2019, 07:09
It’s a better salary than most of the passengers you’re flying around and they may get shot at doing their job.

wishiwasupthere
5th Dec 2019, 07:16

Whats to say I haven’t been?

currawong
5th Dec 2019, 10:32

Yes pay seems a little low, however 6 weeks leave plus 4 mandatory rest days per year???

It is a gubment job to there are certain benefits.

However advertising to create a hold pool if you read it all.........

Maybe its the "safe space/ trigger warning" brief?

junior.VH-LFA
5th Dec 2019, 12:49
The ADF pay their B350 copilots more than that. After they’ve trained them.

Squawk7700
6th Dec 2019, 02:55
The ADF pay their B350 copilots more than that. After they’ve trained them.

Not everyone is in a position to join the defence force. I’m certain this job would be perfectly suitable for many of the applicants.

rcoight
6th Dec 2019, 05:44
Sorry, but that is an absolute joke of a salary.
I hope they don’t get a single applicant.

Global Aviator
6th Dec 2019, 05:55
Sorry, but that is an absolute joke of a salary.
I hope they don’t get a single applicant.

They may indeed but they are asking for twin applicants... :)

The name is Porter
6th Dec 2019, 09:43
Not everyone is in a position to join the defence force. I’m certain this job would be perfectly suitable for many of the applicants.

Dood, I'm sure you're very good at what you do. In fact, I know you are. Would you recommend peeps in your industry applying for jobs at your salary level at half the going rate?

Squawk7700
6th Dec 2019, 10:12
Dood, I'm sure you're very good at what you do. In fact, I know you are. Would you recommend peeps in your industry applying for jobs at your salary level at half the going rate?

$150-$160k, is that the going rate to pilot a Kingair with 1,500 hours on a CPL?

When did that become the norm?

You’d have to put it into perspective... they are probably not flying many hours per day and it would likely be fairly cruisey for the right candidate.

rcoight
6th Dec 2019, 10:46
$150-$160k, is that the going rate to pilot a Kingair with 1,500 hours on a CPL?

When did that become the norm?

You’d have to put it into perspective... they are probably not flying many hours per day and it would likely be fairly cruisey for the right candidate.

You’re kidding, right? As an absolute minimum, it’s a $120k base salary job.

Whats the average wage in Canberra, where every second person is a pen-pushing 9-5 Mon-Fri drone doing basically ****-all on the taxpayers teat?

Squawk7700
6th Dec 2019, 10:58
You’re kidding, right? As an absolute minimum, it’s a $120k base salary job.

Whats the average wage in Canberra, where every second person is a pen-pushing 9-5 Mon-Fri drone doing basically ****-all on the taxpayers teat?

Wages in Canberra certainly aren't amazing across the board.

j3pipercub
6th Dec 2019, 11:07
Squawk,

Firstly, drop the whole, ‘could get shot at’ holier than thou crap. No one forces anyone to do their jobs, it is a choice. Don’t like it? Stop doing it.

Secondly, are you seriously suggesting that the AFP is willing and ready to put a 1500hr CPL in charge of a 350 in a multirole, day/night, complex, dynamic and ‘flexible’ operation? Sounds really prudent...

The AFP may get applicants at the salary being offered. They may also go on to cost the AFP many many times their salary in mistakes and inefficiencies. When your salary is bottom of the barrel, so is the standard of applicant. How much does a hot section on a PT6 go for these days?

j3

Squawk7700
6th Dec 2019, 11:48
Squawk,

Firstly, drop the whole, ‘could get shot at’ holier than thou crap. No one forces anyone to do their jobs, it is a choice. Don’t like it? Stop doing it.

Secondly, are you seriously suggesting that the AFP is willing and ready to put a 1500hr CPL in charge of a 350 in a multirole, day/night, complex, dynamic and ‘flexible’ operation? Sounds really prudent...

The AFP may get applicants at the salary being offered. They may also go on to cost the AFP many many times their salary in mistakes and inefficiencies. When your salary is bottom of the barrel, so is the standard of applicant. How much does a hot section on a PT6 go for these days?

j3

The problem is that they can’t pay any more due to the salary band that they are tied to.

It’s not an airline; it’s practically a private operation. These fancy airline EBA’s and travel allowances simply don’t apply. I’m certain there are plenty of IFR twin pilots zipping around our skies for less than $100k!

gerry111
6th Dec 2019, 12:04
The problem is that they can’t pay any more due to the salary band that they are tied to.
It’s not an airline; it’s practically a private operation. These fancy airline EBA’s and travel allowances simply don’t apply. I’m certain there are plenty of IFR twin pilots zipping around our skies for less than $100k!
No it isn't! It's the Federal Police with their vast budget and resources. I wonder what salary bands those guys are on that visited the ABC a while ago?

junior.VH-LFA
6th Dec 2019, 13:06
I’m certain there are plenty of IFR twin pilots zipping around our skies for less than $100k!

Probably not in a B350.

Sorry, but that is just a ridiculously low salary for that job description. As has been said already, a hot section on a PT6 is worth more than half that years wage, and it’ll happen pretty quickly flying it single pilot with no experience on type.

If you have experience on type, you won’t be flying it for that little.

Stan dard
7th Dec 2019, 07:54
Whatever happened to their C208?

deja vu
7th Dec 2019, 08:41
Seriously, why on earth do the AFP need an aircraft at all? Plenty of RPT services or charter outfits or even set up a contractor for say a 3 year period. I weep for the poor taxpayer!

longrass
7th Dec 2019, 10:41
From what I understand, after speaking to someone in the know, this role, with overtime and loading will average around $120k. You also can’t lose your job and if you did, redundancy is massive. It’s a great addition to your resume as well.

As with most government jobs, it’s all in the overtime.

rcoight
7th Dec 2019, 10:50
From what I understand, after speaking to someone in the know....

Squawk7700?

Seriously, it’s a pathetic salary for a B350 Captain flying around at all hours.
They’ll get some low quality applications from people who just want a few hours of turbine in the book before moving on, and as others have said they’ll probably end up spending far more on maintenance and training the endless new pilots than they would by simply paying a proper wage to start with.

Squawk7700
7th Dec 2019, 11:21
Seriously, why on earth do the AFP need an aircraft at all? Plenty of RPT services or charter outfits or even set up a contractor for say a 3 year period. I weep for the poor taxpayer!

You obviously haven’t seen what they get up to ;-)

Ops would not be limited to ACT and it’s not just flying around passengers.

The name is Porter
7th Dec 2019, 11:38
It's all in the OT eh? That's what makes your salary good eh? So once you're F&D are exhausted you wash the the plane? Do admin? Data entry? Awesome.

Squawk7700
7th Dec 2019, 18:58
You also can’t lose your job and if you did, redundancy is massive.

If only that was true! I’d love a job where I could never lose it, especially if I lost my medical or they outsourced their flying contracts, because that’s never happened before!

geeup
8th Dec 2019, 01:42
How does it compare????

https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/448354-australian-airline-wages-compilation-19.html?highlight=Air+Niugini+salary

havick
8th Dec 2019, 08:25
Squawk,

j3

L3, Mag aerospace and a few others put low time guys in charge of 350’s doing similar jobs for the US DOD all over the world, not just flying circles around Victoria. That being said their pilots are being paid north of 160k USD 3 weeks on/off.

hillbillybob
8th Dec 2019, 13:12
There is no overtime. That is what the 22% composite covers

Horatio Leafblower
9th Dec 2019, 03:24
You mean bucket loads of night shift ! That’s why they give you 6 weeks off!

Squark,
That's standard Pilot award Annual Leave entitlement: 4 weeks with Leave Loading and an additional 2 weeks without, in lieu of weekends and public holidays.

Squawk7700
9th Dec 2019, 04:03
Squark,
That's standard Pilot award Annual Leave entitlement: 4 weeks with Leave Loading and an additional 2 weeks without, in lieu of weekends and public holidays.

It’s a standard cop arrangement too. They get 10 days for public holidays, but also get a couple more off as there are more than 10 in a year (depending on the state).

Stan dard
10th Dec 2019, 04:49
Even the old Airvan Drivers were on way better money than what they are offering now.

Ixixly
10th Dec 2019, 13:12
Does anyone know what a Composite Allowance actually is? People are making this assumption that it's 22% extra pay but it could be 22% of some base wage like most allowances so adds up to not very much.

Also a bad look for them when Careflight has an ad 2 below them for B200 Pilots and offering $133k a year! lol.

WannaBeBiggles
10th Dec 2019, 19:28
QGAir Base Manager $135,499

megle2
10th Dec 2019, 22:45
and QGAir pilots are flat out staying current with so little flying. Granted the Police sector pilots do a lot more and maybe on less pay

hillbillybob
11th Dec 2019, 05:37
Does anyone know what a Composite Allowance actually is? People are making this assumption that it's 22% extra pay but it could be 22% of some base wage like most allowances so adds up to not very much.

Also a bad look for them when Careflight has an ad 2 below them for B200 Pilots and offering $133k a year! lol.

from the EBA at https://www.afp.gov.au/careers/benefits-and-conditions/afp-enterprise-agreement-2017-2020#VIOperations or Rostered Operations Core Composite(6) An Employee who is required to work in accordance with the Operations working pattern or Rostered Operations working pattern will receive a Core Composite of 22% of their Base Salary which will count as salary for superannuation.

Stan dard
11th Dec 2019, 06:52
from the EBA atOperations or Rostered Operations Core Composite(6) An Employee who is required to work in accordance with the Operations working pattern or Rostered Operations working pattern will receive a Core Composite of 22% of their Base Salary which will count as salary for superannuation.

So essentially they own you and can recall you anytime of the day or night, weekends etc with very little notice.

Squawk7700
11th Dec 2019, 23:35
They never had one. QPOL has them.

They charter one. Survey 400. Exemptions exist for lights-off on casa website. Regularly seen over Melbourne in a grid pattern at 8,000ft plus.

flying-spike
12th Dec 2019, 09:26
They never had one. QGAIR has them. Also if you want to work at QGAIR, good luck. Id rather do circuits in YPJT with overseas students then work for that organisation.
Is that so? Most state governments have one......funded by the AFP....FACT

FOI
12th Dec 2019, 23:19
You guys are on drugs!

15.4% super, 6 weeks annual leave with a flexible roster.

Job security is all but guaranteed.

Is that not better then most other turbo prop jobs??

What is REX & QLink etc paying?

The surprise for me is no ATPL requirement for the 350 nor 2 crew

No job security is ever guaranteed. Especially in the government.

flying-spike
13th Dec 2019, 01:29
lying-spike, which states? NSW AND QLD have them. Others have PC12. (WA, NT). VIC use contractor. Please enlighten your FACT statement?
I have been directly involved with these aircraft and the fit-out etc. is funded by the AFP. As you may appreciate, to go into more detail would be indiscreet. You can accept that or not, your choice

geeup
8th Jun 2020, 03:07
Is this job still available?

Or was it a secure job?

Climb150
8th Jun 2020, 18:03
I would say that seeing it was advertised in Dec 19, it isn't available anymore.