PDA

View Full Version : Help needed ref patch.

Dave Haggas
4th Dec 2019, 09:23
Sorry for this re run. I am trying to locate a Harrier pilots hours patch. It’s the last missing piece of a project that will undoubtably be destined for a museum in time.
There have been some chaps here who did kindly get in touch and kindly helped with either surplus kit or information and to all who have helped, I am extremely grateful.
i have a Mannequin dressed correctly as a 1980s RAF Harrier pilot. Correct with flaps on boots. Last missing piece is the patch for the left upper arm. Contents for the Mae West pouches would be great too!
Any help gratefully received. Naturally funds available for the correct patch. I have contacted Terraine regarding a remake but as they didn’t do the original it wouldn’t be correct. I’ve also located a new one but quite understandably the owner wants it kept in his family.
So even if anybody has knowledge of where the originals were made or know of any info, please do get in touch. [email protected].

AndoniP
4th Dec 2019, 14:17
Can you not take a high resolution scan or close up photo of the patch and get it remade?

BVRAAM
4th Dec 2019, 23:35
Can you not take a high resolution scan or close up photo of the patch and get it remade?

That wouldn't be an original then, would it? Thus not museum-worthy.

OP, try asking Squadron Prints. If they designed it, they might have some spare in a drawer.

Mogwi
5th Dec 2019, 16:19
That wouldn't be an original then, would it? Thus not museum-worthy.

OP, try asking Squadron Prints. If they designed it, they might have some spare in a drawer.

I think you will find that they were supplied by British Aerospace (as it was then).

mog

Lima Juliet
5th Dec 2019, 18:28
Yes, Mog has it. They were made and supplied by BAe. It was the same for the Tornado F3 patches. The Company would dish one out at the end of OCU and also on 1,000 hour (or multiples of) milestones. Panavia also had a patch to dish out for Tornado crews at 1,000hrs. Again, you won’t find those in the shops, either.

Dave Haggas
5th Dec 2019, 19:16
Thank you all for your help chaps.
Any ideas as to how I can find one?

Dave Haggas
5th Dec 2019, 19:18
Yes, Mog has it. They were made and supplied by BAe. It was the same for the Tornado F3 patches. The Company would dish one out at the end of OCU and also on 1,000 hour (or multiples of) milestones. Panavia also had a patch to dish out for Tornado crews at 1,000hrs. Again, you won’t find those in the shops, either.
I recently was with an ex RAF pilot who had a new one with 500 hrs on it. Sadly he doesn’t want to part with it.

Lima Juliet
5th Dec 2019, 19:39
Why don’t you just get a replica made? The pictures are in this thread (one of yours too): https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/591910-harrier-patch.html

PS. $14.99 here... https://www.airforcecollectables.com/RAF-Patch-1-Fighter-Squadron-Royal-Air-Force-Harrier-GR-7-a-1P-01UK-1RAF-01SQN-2OP-0001SQ-01.htm?categoryId=-1

Dave Haggas
25th Apr 2020, 18:04
Some of you chaps may recall me looking for a Harrier pilots patch back in 2017?
just as an update, said patch came through from an ex Harrier pilot.
what an absolute gentleman indeed.
thank you to all you who got in touch.

sycamore
25th Apr 2020, 20:37
Does the `mannequin` talk when anyone goes near it..? just fo authenticity......!...and a big watch...

OK, hat,coat,specs,door.......