PDA

View Full Version : QF10 PER-MEL

kjvmw
4th Dec 2019, 04:06
Hi,

I was in the terminal today waiting for the above flight and overheard an SO tell the captain that he had been repositioned from Mel earlier in the day to do this flight. Why is there a need to carry an SO for the PER-MEL flight?

Thanks

AerocatS2A
4th Dec 2019, 04:35
Perhaps not the only sector they flew?

AmarokGTI
4th Dec 2019, 07:05
I have some QF SO friends who tell me they have done the domestic sectors for familiarisation/training/recency. As applicable. I’m not QF crew but don’t have any reason to doubt them.

Blueskymine
5th Dec 2019, 04:31
It’s more an FRMS issue to do with the rest stop in Perth I believe.

Transition Layer
5th Dec 2019, 04:31
Mixed two pilot and three or more pilot crewing may be operated to the following standards:

1.During any one tour of duty, if any portion of the flight time involves operation with less than three pilots, then the provisions of CAO 48.1 sub-section 1 shall apply to that tour of duty.

2.During any seven consecutive days:
a. if a pilot operates entirely as a member of a two pilot crew, the pilot shall not fly and an operator shall not roster the pilot to fly in excess of 30 hours.
b.if a pilot operates entirely as a member of a three or more pilot crew, no total limit applies to the pilot’s flying within the seven day period.
c.if a pilot operates partly as a member of a two-pilot crew and partly as a member of a three or more pilot crew then the pilot shall not fly and an operator shall not roster the pilot to fly in excess of:
i.in the case where the pilot’s next flight is to be as a member of a two-pilot crew – 30 hours; or
ii.in the case where the pilot’s next flight is to be as a member of a three or more pilot crew – 40 hours.
Whilst the sector is used a lot for training and recency, the real reason is because of paragraph 2b above