PDA

View Full Version : Les Rutherford - the Shed Door Veteran & former Bomber Command

NavyNav2
3rd Dec 2019, 20:16
Escaped Dunkirk, shot down over Germany, Prisoner in Stalg Luft III - a remarkable man.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-50645045

rolling20
5th Dec 2019, 07:45
How long winded can the BBC be? He was a Bomb Aimer, end of. RIP Sir.

Hawk98
5th Dec 2019, 08:07

I don’t see what’s wrong with reporting his very interesting wartime career!

Either way, RIP.

Whenurhappy
5th Dec 2019, 09:04
I'm not sure what you mean. The BBC have one sentence describing the role of a bomb aimer. Hardly long-winded.

Herod
5th Dec 2019, 15:06
Perhaps rolling20 has a short attention span, and missed the door incident.

caped crusader
5th Dec 2019, 20:06
I had the privilege to meet Les and attended his 100th Birthday celebration at the IBCC. He had a remarkable life and did a lot to tell his generation's story to schoolchildren in the Lincoln area. Originally in the Army, at Dunkirk he was part of the detail that defended the outer perimeter to hold the Germans off whilst those on the beaches could escape. When the order was given for everyone for himself he and another soldier made for the coast and used a barn door as a raft to cross the English Channel. Fortunately they were picked up and Les made it back to England.

He transferred to the RAF and trained as a bomb aimer. Posted to RAF Skellingthorpe, he was standing in for a bomb aimer on another crew when he was shot down over Germany and became a POW. He endured the Long March before being repatriated on Operation Exodus.

Les wrote a book about his wartime experience, the proceeds of which were all given to support the IBCC. In 2016 the local Scampton schoolchildren planted poppies on all the RAF graves in Scampton churchyard and it was Les who laid the wreath on the German graves. A remarkable gentleman.

Thoughts and prayers are with Coral and the family.

CC

rolling20
6th Dec 2019, 10:56
Perhaps rolling20 has a short attention span, and missed the door incident.
Bit bored and lonely are we Herod?

Herod
6th Dec 2019, 11:11
Nope, but I do actually read the details. Your "bomb-aimer, end of" misses the fact he was a Dunkirk veteran, and a POW.

2 TWU
6th Dec 2019, 21:23
Rolling20, you, sir, are a complete boor.