PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome - Freeliveradio.co

WIDN62
1st Dec 2019, 18:33
Some time ago, whilst in the USA I tried to listen to live ATC on my laptop. Doing this downloaded something called freeliveradio.co on to Google Chrome. I now get unwanted and irrelevant (mostly USA-based) adverts popping up randomly and, annoyingly, always as the top window so they have to be swiped off each time.
Is there a way of removing this - it does not appear as a separate program so I assume it is attached to Google Chrome? Will an uninstall of Chrome and then a re-install fix the problem?

Jhieminga
2nd Dec 2019, 10:37
It might not. Try this:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Freeliveradio.co in the list of extensions and click on 'Remove'.

In addition, it might be worth checking for other malware on your system. Scan using your installed anti-virus or use something like Malwarebytes.

WIDN62
2nd Dec 2019, 13:52
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I have had a look there and it does not appear. It is not malware - I know how it appeared - entirely my fault, I just misunderstood what I was accepting.

Prop swinger
2nd Dec 2019, 14:03
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-free-live-radio/

Jhieminga
2nd Dec 2019, 14:04
The fact that you chose to install it doesn't mean that can never be malware. Some of the extensions being offered for various purposes may appear to be safe while still harbouring some unwanted code that can act as malware or adware. If it's not hiding within Chrome, I would definitively advise you to scan your system for any malware/adware. It may have copied itself across to another browser or somewhere else in your system. These extensions sometimes manage to sneak other bits of software onto your system which may be why you're not seeing the extension itself in the list.

Have a good read through this: https://malwarefixes.com/remove-free-live-radio-chrome-firefox-ie-safari/

As for the additional bits of software that this page recommends you use, I have used Malwarebytes (free) and Sophos in the past and can recommend them. I'm not familiar with the Avast tool, but the company is legit. Just make sure to download these from official sources only, so don't use the links on that page but go directly to the Malwarebytes and Sophos sites and download the software from them.

Apologies if I'm repeating the obvious or bits you've already tried. The behaviour you're describing definitively points towards something on your system that should not be there.

WIDN62
2nd Dec 2019, 14:45
Thanks again for the replies. I will have a good look at the suggestions when I have time.

WIDN62
3rd Dec 2019, 21:41
Once again thank you for the suggestions.
I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran the scan, which showed no problems.
I then looked at the link to the Youtube video. "Google Settings/Advanced/Restore settings to their original defaults" seems to have solved the problem - 24 hours without adverts popping up.
In fairness to Free Live Radio it clearly wasn't as bad as some I read about in the above links. It hadn't taken over my browser - just giving me some unwanted and irrelevant adverts.
Incidentally, my internet was working at snail's pace with Malwarebytes installed - I have uninstalled it and am back to my previous speeds. I am using Avast which has always done its job for me.
Thanks again.

The Range
17th Dec 2019, 19:36
Some time ago, whilst in the USA I tried to listen to live ATC on my laptop. Doing this downloaded something called freeliveradio.co on to Google Chrome. I now get unwanted and irrelevant (mostly USA-based) adverts popping up randomly and, annoyingly, always as the top window so they have to be swiped off each time.
Is there a way of removing this - it does not appear as a separate program so I assume it is attached to Google Chrome? Will an uninstall of Chrome and then a re-install fix the problem?
This happened to me, too. I opened a twit and a lot of ads began to pop up.
I uninstalled Google Chrome and problem solved.

Harry Wayfarers
18th Dec 2019, 01:20
Crome isn't a browser, it's a virus that Google use to feed the user all sorts of cr*p, I use Firefox, no problems whatsover

Asturias56
18th Dec 2019, 07:52
I find it a useful alternative to Firefox - it's better for some websites

The Range
18th Dec 2019, 22:02
I forgot to mention that I installed Chrome again and is working fine now.
I don't like firefox because it doesn't let you enlarge and reduce pages with the trackpad.
I tried Opera for a few days but I like Chrome better.