View Full Version : FOD on parking stands

Pilot Pete
9th Aug 2002, 23:12
Thought a survey might be interesting to find out which are the best/ worst airports for clearing the apron/stands of FOD having put in an ASR yesterday due to finding 13 assorted items of metal FOD on the centreline and in a line parallel behind the engines on stand at GCRR. These included the usual 'feet' off suitcases, buckles, zips and padlocks (including proper brass ones which are pretty rugged). Again, today in LEMH picked up circa 10 assorted items from similar locations. This stuff is a hazzard. What are the requirements/ procedures for sweeping? Are baggage staff expected to pick up the numerous items that fall from their conveyors (and I don't just mean the entire suitcases!). So lets get a 'rogues gallery' going to highlight the worst places.

PP

nitefiter
10th Aug 2002, 07:20
Whilst doing a walkaround check at MAN recently i found two passengers out on the apron,does this count?

BELHold
10th Aug 2002, 16:19
I think BFS has a pretty good procedure in relation to this problem. All stands must be visually inspected by the handling agent, and then declared clear or otherwise to apron control before the A/C reaches the stand. The same principle applies once the stand has been vacated.

This task is usually undertaken by the despatcher who is normally present throughout the TR.

Pilot Pete
20th Aug 2002, 21:58
Just returned from Palma where I must admit to being very impressed by the 'road sweeper' that drove onto stand as soon as we pulled off, well done LEPA.

PP

Come on, anyone else care to report?

BryanC123
23rd Aug 2002, 13:17
As a dispatcher recently witnessed a captain doing his walk around when he found a small stone. Without thinking he decided to throw it off the stand but instead of throwing it off the stand he throw it thru the tug window with an almighty smash. I had to laugh afterwards at the expression on his face.

(no injuries which is nice):D

corsaman
23rd Aug 2002, 13:41
They even hoover up the puddles in BFS, with their roadsweeper!

Confirmed Must Ride
23rd Aug 2002, 15:33
Our company policy is that the arrival team must do a FOD walk before every arrival and again before pushback for departure. Most of of vendors pretty good at this, shame about our own guys back in the hubs....!

BryanC123
23rd Aug 2002, 17:53
9 TIMES OUT OF 10 its down to dispatcher to make sure stand is clear for approaching aircraft

aztruck
24th Aug 2002, 09:03
Alicante had a couple of empty beer cans blowing around the ramp, actually around the feet of the ground handlers. F/O(moi) yelling " cerveza....."out of window and pointing...big Spanish grins and I'm in line for channel 4 documentary....but seriously folks, they had no idea. Beer cans migrated towards the DC10 next door. Same airport had a little man drive his pick up next to the aircraft after push back with the No 2 spooling up and walk right in front of the aforesaid engine. Incredible.
Then again, in Freetown FOD consists of wild dogs which trot ahead of you as you taxi. Now and again the airport go out and shoot a few.....