PDA

View Full Version : Any Piaggio P180 Pilots? Need advice..

haztronic
30th Nov 2019, 17:53
I just recently flew my 3rd flight as SIC in the P180 Avanti I. So far so good and I am thoroughly enjoying the plane.

One thing I am struggling with a little though is on takeoff as the PIC asks for "set power", I always seem to slightly over-torque either one or both engines briefly before bringing them back a little. They seem incredibly sensitive and while I DO try to slowly advance the power by taking my time, I am also conscious that we don't have endless amounts of runway so it is kind of important to get the power set sooner than later.

Our bird is a mid 90s built.

Basically looking for any tips on trying to better my power setting skills in this particular plane.

Thanks for the help!

Kelly Hopper
2nd Dec 2019, 13:07
I don't know your aircraft at all but assuming it is like other turboprops Why is the PIC expecting you to set power?

Who is rejecting a T/O when there is a control split during take off?

I am all for giving the other guy as much input as you can but for one person to have control of all the steering and another of the power on a torquee turboprop is nuts?

Isn't it?

rigpiggy
2nd Dec 2019, 17:50
Always set about 250# below desired torque, it will come up with ram rise. Tweak a litlle thru 80 kts

haztronic
2nd Dec 2019, 22:29
I don't know your aircraft at all but assuming it is like other turboprops Why is the PIC expecting you to set power?

I am all for giving the other guy as much input as you can but for one person to have control of all the steering and another of the power on a torquee turboprop is nuts?

Isn't it?

That's the way FlightSafety West Palm Beach teaches it. For the PIC to add power and then for the SIC (if there is one) to adjust as necessary to get the appropriate power.

Intrance
3rd Dec 2019, 09:50

Isn't it?A type I flew before also required some fine tuning as to not over torque or hit temperature limits (not much automatic protection except for a very simple computer that would just cut fuel if temp got too high... not so nice during a takeoff).
PF would set ballpark T/O power, then focus on the actual T/O. PNF sets exact power. Otherwise in worst case, you are heads down as PF for an important part of the T/O trying to get the power right. Most of the time not much adjustment was needed as everyone was pretty well practiced, but still.

N707ZS
3rd Dec 2019, 10:04
Why not ask this question to the PIC, presume he has great experience of the aircraft.

PDR1
3rd Dec 2019, 10:26
Or perhaps not - as he always gets the SIC to set the power...

PDR

N707ZS
3rd Dec 2019, 14:45
My main point is no one should be in a position were they feel they cannot ask questions as its a sure route to an accident.