PDA

View Full Version : Senior Examiner (RT)

justmaybe
29th Nov 2019, 18:17
Anyone heard or been advised of any developments on this?

bylgw
29th Nov 2019, 19:00
I've heard some interviews took place this week

Whopity
29th Nov 2019, 21:20
Published here (https://mailchi.mp/f6f0fb84925a/uk-caa-looking-for-rt-senior-examiners-910025?e=d2d947a2e9): quite bizarre.

parkfell
29th Nov 2019, 22:18
Interesting how this element has developed over the years. IFR airways flight in 1972 for my VHF test. Then CAP46 replaced by CAP413. Option not to have a practical test in the1980s to a “how goes it” sign off which definitely resulted in a lowering of standards/quality. Then the reintroduction of the synthetic flight.
I will always remember learning to fly at Carlisle. Blackpool flying club aircraft comes on frequency. Transfers to Newcastle eventually, ending the conversation with “over and out”. Their quality of R/T was to say the least interesting.

The present test which is fine for the flying club VFR operations, but little to do with CPL/IR training, line flying R/T for the MCC onwards.

Development of airspace, GPS etc all needs to be taken into account.

Whopity
30th Nov 2019, 09:22
The current RT practical test format will be replaced by an oral assessment conducted by the RT examiner. A bit like some non standard examiners have operated for a number of years. Overall, a complete waste of time.
The newly appointed SE (RT) will form a panel of examiners, delegated by the CAA to manage oversight of the 160+ RT examiners, and the training and testing for FRTOL in the UK and overseas. The SE’s will be responsible for training and testing all new RT examiners, plus the conducting of three yearly assessments of competence, for the revalidation or renewal of examiner privileges. Presumably the RTF Examiners will have to fund the SE (RT) because the CAA are not! Attend in person regular meetings for the next 12months at Aviation House Gatwick and other locations, and attend a minimum of 2 meetings per year thereafter, at your own expense Net result will be no renewal of existing RTF Examiners, because it will no longer be cost effective.
We have now received expressions of interest from 66 RT examiners, of which 55 meet the experience criteria set for the initial phase of this process. And how many if any bothered to respond further?

TCAS FAN
30th Nov 2019, 09:57
Surely its not (according to ICAO) RT or R/T, its RTF!

What hope do we have if the apparently world class regualtor still gets it wrong!

parkfell
30th Nov 2019, 18:34
If that was the only chink in the CAA armour, I would be relatively content.

TheOddOne
30th Nov 2019, 21:48
Surely its not (according to ICAO) RT or R/T, its RTF!

What hope do we have if the apparently world class regulator still gets it wrong!

Well, in this case, I think it's ICAO that needs to amend. They seem to have made the letter 'F' stand for '-phony', if you want a TLA, surely it should be RTP?

I think RT or R/T stands well for Radio Telephony, as a complementary term to and to distinguish it from W/T or Wireless Telegraphy.

I had thought vaguely of applying as I qualify for the time experience, but just short of the total number of tests. Thank goodness I don't qualify if it's going to cost me money! I hope there's going to be someone within a day's round trip to revalidate me when the time comes. I also hope it's an opportunity to tidy up some aspects of the test that I find unsatisfactory. Unlike the examiners that Whopity alludes to (not for the first time), I try to play it by the book. Without going in to details here, there are several things that just plain get in the way of getting the test done, distracting the candidate. I find myself saying half a dozen times during the test 'it's not a navigation exercise'.

TOO

Whopity
1st Dec 2019, 09:29
They seem to have made the letter 'F' stand for '-phony', if you want a TLA, surely it should be RTP? It comes from "radiotelefone" hence RTF. A bit like the "e" that was put on the end of Concord.
You must be using RANT if you have to make the comments about navigation! One of the drawbacks of that method, not an issue with traditional test equipment.

justmaybe
1st Dec 2019, 12:43
It comes from "radiotelefone" hence RTF. A bit like the "e" that was put on the end of Concord.
You must be using RANT if you have to make the comments about navigation! One of the drawbacks of that method, not an issue with traditional test equipment.
Still using a kit (Master Station/Student Station) that Mike Grierson recommended way back in the day. Think it was made to order, but a good robust bit of kit.

TheOddOne
1st Dec 2019, 22:02
fone (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fone)
Slang for phone. It is used by people who don't fully understand the English language (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=the%20English%20language) and feel the need to spell it phonetically (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=phonetically). Or somehow think that not typing in one letter saves (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=saves) them time.

From the Urban Dictionary...

Hat, coat.

TOO

Whopity
1st Dec 2019, 23:23
It comes from the Italian radiotelefono, remember Marconi was one of theirs.

BEagle
2nd Dec 2019, 16:41
Radio Téléphonie sans Fil, surely? Like many early aeronautical terms (longeron, aileron, monocoque), it comes from the French, n'est ce pas?

Whopity
2nd Dec 2019, 21:22
RTF was originally Radio Telegraphy sans Fils which became W/T; Telephonie being a later development.
Either way the influence was Continental and as ICAO HQ is located in a French speaking town, English was not the primary consideration.

BigEndBob
3rd Dec 2019, 17:35
RT examiners, good little earner, like i saw one do four tests in a day and earn more than i do instructing in a month.
And i have noticed the customers are no better capable after the test, than good instruction from flying instructors from the start.

TheOddOne
3rd Dec 2019, 18:35
like i saw one do four tests in a day

...I'd say that's a very long day. I allocate a half day for each test. With the initial briefing and a verbal assessment of whether or not they are going to pass (I don't fail people, I just don't do the test if I don't think they're ready) and the actual test taking about an hour and a half, it takes a half day. I start by asking where abouts in CAP413 they can show me emergency procedures (for instance). If they say 'what's CAP 413', I abandon the test. I must also say that I find it quite taxing and tiring, even after having done 50+ tests. It's a welcome relief to do some instructional flying afterwards! Actually, I'd earn more from 2 hours flying, so I try and book tests for wet days, not always possible.

TOO

Whopity
3rd Dec 2019, 19:09
I've heard of an Examiner doing 10 tests in a day whilst his equipment was unserviceable! The method used is the one the CAA is proposing to adopt, a chat across a desk.

justmaybe
23rd Dec 2019, 22:26
Latest episode released.

Whopity
2nd Jan 2020, 22:56
Latest episode released.
Can't find anything!

justmaybe
3rd Jan 2020, 13:59
Here we are:
https://mailchi.mp/f1e2ff025c09/uk-caa-looking-for-rt-senior-examiners-910213?e=3911f5f1b3

Whopity
3rd Jan 2020, 22:11
Thanks, couldn't find that anywhere. Unfortunately their current proposals are likely to result in the resignation of most of the existing examiners on cost grounds alone.