View Full Version : What should I do?????

sam_flying
23rd Apr 2001, 18:49
Guys, some advice please.

I currently have about 70 hours and an FAA PPL. To convert to a JAA PPL I need 100 hours plus some exams and a flight test, and probably a RT licence (why on earth did I ever do a US licence???!!!).

My question is two fold....firstly, is it possible to start my IMC and Night ratings (and use the time to build to the 100 hour mark) then once I reach 100 hours take the conversion test, then take the IMC test and get the night rating as I will have done the required hours, or is this not legal/possible???

Secondly, as far as I see it to start my flight training via the modular route for my ATPL (frozen) I need 150 hours. I presume this is 150 hours before you start the Instrument Rating, Multi-engine etc....so in other words the only licence I should have at the start (hopefully) is a PPL(A) with Night rating and IMC. Am I correct??? In which case I would still need to build some hours to reach the 150 hour goal to begin professional training??

Ok,..I am more confused than I was to start with http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif ...hope I have confused you all too! :)

Finally, could anyone recommend a place to get my RT licence. Anywhere within a reasonable distance will be considered....oh and does anyone know how long it should take to get and how much it costs???

All these questions eh?? :)

Thanks people in advance.
Confused Sam_flying http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

TooHotToFly
24th Apr 2001, 01:33
You can't start your IMC rating until you have got your PPL so that is not possible. The merits of doing an IMC rating if you are going on to do an IR are now not so great in the fact that you won't get a reduction off the IR course. Good practice though.

I see no reason why you can't do your night qualification as you are allowed to combine it with your PPL and it doesn't stipulate how far through the course you need to be - so techinically you could do it prior to starting your PPL (although not practical generally), but in your case it may work out fine. Check with the CAA about this.

You need 150 hours total time to start the CPL (A) modular course. You need 200 hours total time and 100 hours P1 to apply for your CPL.

You need 50 hours P1 cross-country before applying for your IR.

The only licence requirement to start the CPL course is a PPL. If you don't have a night qualification you must complete it with your CPL (so you might as well do it prior to starting your CPL). There is no requirement to have an IMC rating, although you can if you wish.

Hope that helps.

expedite_climb
24th Apr 2001, 13:36
"100 hrs for a JAA PPL".

Who told you that ? You can convert now, exams and flt test.

You ask for a recommendation for RT 'within a resonable distance'. - From where my son ?

Delta Wun-Wun
24th Apr 2001, 15:05
You dont need a 100hrs to convert to a JAA Licence.Sort out a flying school near to where you are,go and see the CFI and explain you need to covert your licence.You may need a couple of hours to get used to the ways things are done here.You will then need to do the PPL Exams,again the flying school will advise you on that.Then you need to do a flight test.You will also need a medical.Class 2 for PPL (£80) and Class1 if you intend to go commercial after(£400).You will need to build 150hrs for your CPL of which 100hrs need to be P1 and 5hrs night.But you would need that anyway.
Good luck DWW

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

sam_flying
24th Apr 2001, 16:01
Thanks for your responses guys!!!

The 100hr requirement came from the CAA website. I quote -
"We have been asked how the holder of a non-UK PPL(A) may obtain a JAR- FCL PPL(A). The
following terms have been agreed:
· Hold a licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 which is current and valid in
all respects
· Hold at least a JAR- FCL Class 2 Medical Certificate
· Pass the JAR Air Law examination
· Pass the JAR Human Performance and Limitations examination
· Have completed a minimum of 100 hours flight time as pilot of aeroplanes
· Pass the JAR PPL(A) Skill Test
Section 7 9-22 01/04/01ഊIn addition, if an applicant requires a UK Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence (FRTOL), he
must pass the JAR-FCL Communications theoretical knowledge examination and the
Radiotelephony (RT) practical test with an authorised RTF examiner.

So you see why I ask what I ask. Am I wrong in thinking I need 100hrs??? Confused now http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

expedite_climb - I am in Berkshire but will travel 100 miles or so to do a weekend RT course if neccessary....oh and I am a girlie ;)

Delta Wun-Wun - hopefully will have the Class 1 medical soon...its booked for the second week in May!!

Again thanks for your responses....any clarification on the 100hr rule would be much appreciate :)

Sam-flying

Flypuppy
24th Apr 2001, 16:31
Sam,

The CAA quote says that you need to have 100 hours flight time as pilot of aeroplanes. Since you currently have 70 hours that therefore means you only require 30 hours, at any rate that is my understanding of it.

funkster
24th Apr 2001, 17:20
Sam
You said that you don't know why you did an FAA PPL, why did you??

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who does not have US citizenship and has done all FAA licenses, and now instructs in US to build up his hours then hw will eventually convert back to JAA(I think??). He said it was because there are more instructing jobs over in the states, and he didn't have any problems with US customs??? Was this your reason??

Anyway I was thinking about doing a JAA PPL but he is trying to convince me to go the FAA route like him, and now I'm really confused!! I was just interested in someone elses opinion!

Cheers

[This message has been edited by funkster (edited 24 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by funkster (edited 24 April 2001).]

sam_flying
24th Apr 2001, 17:43
Funkster

My original reasoning was very much the same as your friends. I was advised by a friend from here but who had all the FAA licences to get the FAA ones because it didn't really make a difference. UNTRUE. At least that is what I have found since. My original plan had been to go the whole FAA route, including working out there. It is fairly simple if you go to certain schools with a certain visa it then allows you to work as a flight instructor for two years.

HOWEVER - since then the conversion from FAA ATPL to JAA ATPL has become very complicated and you seem to need a hell of alot of hours or you have to do all the ATPL exams again!!

Although I can and do fly in the UK on my FAA PPL, I have found it is restricting me because I cannot progress here without first converting it to an JAA PPL, which involves building 100hrs and still having to sit exams and redo a flight test.

In my personal opinion, if I were to do this again I WOULD go to the USA to get my licence but I would choose a JAA PPL not an FAA PPL. I found the USA a fantastic place to fly, much more relaxing and more geared up to us pilots....I went into Tampa International in a C172 twice and didn't get charged any landing fees!!! However, the UK is different. And I would come back here and immediately go for the Night rating and IMC to help acclimatise with the UK environment.

As for the job front, when I was in the USA it was widely considered that there was a desperate shortage of flight instructors. Nearly all the instructors at my school were from Europe and not the USA. But I want to live and fly in/from the UK, and to do this I need a JAA licence. Yes it maybe harder to find a job at the end of the day but if you try hard, have the determination hopefully it will all pay off.

I think its purely up to you, and what your plan for your future is. If you need any more advice from my limited experience then email me if you like :)

Flypuppy - yes I know....I did the maths and came to the exact same conclusion ;)

Hope that helps!!

Sam