PDA

View Full Version : Motley Down

retreating blade
21st Nov 2019, 21:24
I regret to advise that Peter Gibson has succumbed to an aggressive cancer. His background was on SAR and as an RAF MAOT in the 70s.
His funeral will be held at Edenbridge on 5 December; please pm me if you would like more information.
Very sad news indeed.
Pedro

teeteringhead
22nd Nov 2019, 10:23
Not just SAR - he was on 18 at Gutersloh as a Dep Flt Cdr and then his last tour before retirement was on 72, in the manic "3 stations in a year" days of 81-82. And IIRC he started out on Belvederes in Borneo.

Much missed.

RIP Pete, we'll be at the funeral (I have the details).

Old-Duffer
22nd Nov 2019, 15:26
Peter went to 225 Sqn in Borneo not long before it folded and shared its assets with 103 and 110. Not initially Belvederes TTH but the much loved Whirlwind!!!

I had been with him at Tern Hill, where we were regulars at the T/H Hall Hotel. It was he who introduced me to my favourite non-alcoholic long drink - a sort of Ribena and Lemonade.

After leaving the RAF Peter spent much time flying up and down power lines, presumably looking for problems. I was always told to stay well away from them - not make a career seeing how close you can get.

Old Duffer

teeteringhead
23rd Nov 2019, 11:04
O-D ... my apologies Sir.

But it was before my time....

Certainly there were some interesting tales about the power line job. Seems a (very?) early use of IR to detect the weak points in the cables, which were hotter. Best results on (very) cold mornings - not my idea of a perfect job.......

"Oh joy - it's freezing and the cloud base is just above the cables - let's get airborne!"

Old-Duffer
23rd Nov 2019, 14:07
TTH,

I penned my last before getting your snail mail and had already heard from John and Jane D.

I only flew with Peter once - at the time I was on a punishment tour at RAF Carlisle and Peter was at Boulmer. We spent some pleasant time photographing LZs at hospitals, so that a montage/information sheet could be quickly produced should the need arise.

It is my intention to attend on 5 Dec and I shall lob into the Premier Inn at East Grinstead the night before.

OD