PDA

View Full Version : Starting PPL: Aerodromes & Aircraft

LewisSad
19th Nov 2019, 15:21
Good afternoon all,

I'm looking into starting my PPL in the not too distant future. I've narrowed down to 3 airfields where I would carry out my training. I've yet to have an informal chat at these airfields / clubs yet but was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences of visiting/PPL training themselves.

Rougham airfield near Bury St.Esmunds. Not too far from me and I routinely drive past / work near this airfield which has prompted me to get moving onto making a start!

Crowfield Airfield outside of Ipswich. Seems to be a bit of a hidden gem. The closest airfield to where I live.

And Clacton airfield. Chosen because I logged a few hours here some 10 or so years ago

As for aircraft, going what's available at these clubs, a C152 Which I've had some time in previously, or a HR200. I've heard the C152 is better for training because of the high wing being helpful with navigation, but any opinions on either as far as training goes?

Any input much appreciated!

Lewis.

Jan Olieslagers
19th Nov 2019, 18:05
In selecting a field, an important factor is its availability. Some fields are semi-flooded half of a year, some are often unusable due to fog or low cloud. A hard runway is definitely an advantage.

However the most important point is to find an instructor - or, even better, a team of instructors - that you feel good with.

LewisSad
19th Nov 2019, 20:20
Yes very good points Jan, Thankyou.
The instructors at Clacton were all easy to get along with, but again, that was some 10 years ago now.

Hoping to visit the aforementioned fields / clubs this weekend

rkgpilot
19th Nov 2019, 20:27
You’d really enjoy flying the Robin and yes, Crowfield is a gem. For a hard runway and all year-round training, plus learning in a Robin, Earls Colne probably isn’t too far from you either.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Nov 2019, 21:59
I don't know the three airfields, I do know the two aeroplanes and think both are excellent for learning in. Not a lot to choose between them.

I did my PPLs in high wing, one CPL high wing, one CPL low wing. Can't honestly say I see a particular advantage or disadvantage - just a little different in terms of how you manage looking out.

G

kghjfg
20th Nov 2019, 05:42
I finished my training at Rougham when Bourn closed, 3 1/2 years ago now.

Can recommend it. Especially Richard Francis if he is still instructing there.

Important thing is to buy a logbook, trial flight at each, put the flights in your logbook, find an instructor that suits your learning style.

I tried another airfield (none of those 3) which was way too formal for me, churning out BA pilots. Nowt wrong with that, but wrong for me.

150commuter
2nd Jan 2020, 23:51
I learnt to fly at Clacton in 1991-92 and I'm still flying so they must have got something right. I did my PPL in two residential periods of about a fortnight each and being around flying and other students all day everyday was a definite plus for me. Clacton now offer training on tailwheel Supecubs for very little more than on their Cessna 150-152s so an option worth considering. When I was there the cost differential was much greater and though I fly a Cessna 150 now I've always slightly regretted not going down the tailwheel route. Their training rates are very competitive but Crowfield aren't far behind. I flew into Crowfield a couple of times during my training, including my Qualifying Cross Country *Clacton-Crowfield-Norwich-Clacton, It seemed a pleasant enough place and the runways were good but I don't remember much about it. I prefer the high wing of my C150 for nav and sightseeing but I'd probably feel the same about a low wing's better visibility if I'd trained on that so it's swings and roundabouts.

Best of luck wherever you go. Getting a PPL when I was forty was one of the best things I've ever done.

David

flyingorthopod
3rd Jan 2020, 05:21
I revalidated my PPL at Rougham about four years ago. It's a lovely flying club, well run and very friendly and you can't go wrong with them.
Flew with Clacton's examiner also and went there on a cross country - looked like another good club.
I haven't been to Crowfield.

I've flown 152 and HR200 and personally prefer the HR200 - I like a low wing and stick and prefer the visibility with acres of sky, and I think it handles better. But both are perfectly good aeroplanes to learn in.

Have you thought about doing a tailwheel PPL? The Super Cub is more fun and interesting to fly than a 152 or HR200 and will give you stick and rudder skills that will help you along the way. Easy to go from Super Cub to tricycle aeroplanes later on.

You could always try a trial flight with each.

I would strongly weight it in favour of whichever airfield you will find most accessible and usable both for lessons and for post PPL flying

Good luck!