PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA lapsed ATPL exams

Yara-ma-yha-who
18th Nov 2019, 00:44
Hi all,

I completed the ATPL(H) exams back in 2011, but after doing so did not complete the flying components for the issue of a licence. I hold an Australian ATPL(H), and have been flying under that licence since competing the EASA exams.

Obviously, I have now passed the 7 year validity for the exam credits. My question is, will I have to carry out another full ATPL course including the mandatory classroom time, or can I skip the classroom requirement and self-study for the resit exams?

Thanks

rudestuff
18th Nov 2019, 02:48
Your Australian ATPL exempts you from any training.

Yara-ma-yha-who
18th Nov 2019, 07:28
I thought I needed 500hrs on a multi-pilot type for an exemption? My current type is the AW139 which is certified SP.

Duchess_Driver
18th Nov 2019, 08:53
The exams are only valid for 3 years for the issue of the licence - the 7 years is the cut-off for renewal if you have held a licence.

If you hold a ICAO ATPL and valid TR and meet the requirements for EASA ATPL you’re exempt the study but still have to write the exams. You will need ATO sign off for that.

500 MP time is a requirement.. for ATPL but not for CPL.

ersa
18th Nov 2019, 09:48
If you log on to the caa website and select exams , there is a function for self certify to sit the exams.

The 500MP hours are for a ATPL issue

Yara-ma-yha-who
18th Nov 2019, 18:06
Thanks for the replies.

The references I can find suggest that just having an ICAO ATPL is not enough to exempt from the formal training requirements. As far as I can tell I also need too satisfy the prerequisites for the EASA ATPL. This includes 350hrs flying multi-pilot in a multi-pilot type. I don't satisfy this requirement as the AW139 and other types that I have experience in are not multi-pilot types.

Can anyone provide a reference to confirm that simply holding an Australian ATPL will exempt me from the formal ground school requirement? If not, will the fact that I've previously successfully passed the exams exempt me from the ground school?

Thanks

selfin
18th Nov 2019, 19:39
Article 8 of the Aircrew Regulation.

Consolidated version of 8 Apr 2019 at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg/2011/1178/2019-04-08

There has been a subsequent amendment to the regulation and some of its annexes although article 8 remains unmodified. Amendments not yet reflected in that consolidated version are here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1574109260107&uri=CELEX:32019R1747

rudestuff
18th Nov 2019, 23:03
Register with the CAA portal and you'll see you're exempt

ersa
18th Nov 2019, 23:54
From the portalCredit from Approved Training - Theoretical KnowledgeIn certain circumstances holders of a third country licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 and UK Military Pilots are able to claim a credit from the requirement to attend approved training prior Part-FCL Theoretical Knowledge examinations.

The conditions for the credit are different for third country pilots and military pilots. Both requirements can be found in CAP 804 - Flight Crew Licensing: Mandatory Requirements, Policy and Guidance. Credit from approved training is by self assessment; therefore the examination applicant must read CAP804 prior to claiming the credit.

Third country pilots claiming credit in accordance with Article 8 of Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 are referred to CAP804 Section 4, Part Q, and Sub -part 2.

UK Military pilots claiming credit in accordance with Article 8 of Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 are referred to CAP 804 Section 4, Part O.

If you meet the requirements for a credit please complete one of the following forms and submit as stated in the guidance material:

SRG1192 - http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1192FF_EUR.pdf
SRG2133 - http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG2133FFenabled1.pdf

When you register in preparation for booking your Theoretical Knowledge examination, at the Organisation stage please select one of the following options based upon your credit:

Exempt Approved Training (Exempt from Approved Training Provisions)

Yara-ma-yha-who
19th Nov 2019, 21:53
Thanks to all for your replies. I've submitted my form to the CAA for consideration.