PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Linux matters.

lossiemouth
12th Nov 2019, 15:01
Just purchased a vu+ Zero, and slowly getting to grips with it (I think!)

To enable me to record onto a usb stick I need to "By a software FTP or by telnet create a folder named movie on your usb stick: /media/usb/movie" I've had quick look at programmes that deal with FTP and telnet, and I don't know if it's my sadly shrinking grey matter, but it seems incredibly complex for what appears a simple task.

I'm using Windows 10 at present for computers/laptop. Can someone point me in the direction of a simple way of doing this. I would be very grateful.

netstruggler
15th Nov 2019, 09:38
Just purchased a vu+ Zero, and slowly getting to grips with it (I think!)

To enable me to record onto a usb stick I need to "By a software FTP or by telnet create a folder named movie on your usb stick: /media/usb/movie" I've had quick look at programmes that deal with FTP and telnet, and I don't know if it's my sadly shrinking grey matter, but it seems incredibly complex for what appears a simple task.

I'm using Windows 10 at present for computers/laptop. Can someone point me in the direction of a simple way of doing this. I would be very grateful.

Well I'd plug the USB stick into your computer and try creating those 3 folders using Explorer. . ie double click the usb icon, then right-click / New Folder.Then move the stick into the Vu+ and see what happens.

If that doesn’t work then you’ll have to do what they say and create the folder while the usb is plugged into the Vu. First question will be: Do you know the IP address of the Vu? If you don’t understand that question then you've got a bit of work ahead of you :-)

EEngr
11th Dec 2019, 00:51
Well I'd plug the USB stick into your computer and try creating those 3 folders using Explorer. . ie double click the usb icon, then right-click / New Folder.Then move the stick into the Vu+ and see what happens.

Almost, but not quite. If the Vu+ is running Linux then a USB stick plugged in will be 'mounted' at /media/usb. So using a Windows system, you would only need to create the /movie folder at the top level of the USB device. Once plugged back in to the Vu+, it would appear as /media/usb/movie.

Logging in via FTP (if you can find the Vu+ IP address as w.x.y.z) depends on the FTP client used. Assuming a command line FTP (opening a cmd window):
ftp w.x.y.z
ftp>cd /media/usb
ftp>mkdir movie
ftp>quit

lossiemouth
2nd Jan 2020, 14:30
Huge apologies for the delay in replying to this (never buy a house by water!!). Many thanks for the replies, it was kind of you to take the trouble.

I have managed to get everything set up, only to find that my viewing card isn't accepted by the Vu+ box (my fault for not checking first!) The only other thing that seems a bit unusual to me is how fussy this box is, it will quite happily accept one usb stick, and won't play at all with another.

Thanks again for your help.

:)

jimjim1
4th Jan 2020, 04:33
it will quite happily accept one usb stick, and won't play at all with another.

You may be familiar with this but in case otherwise -

USB memory sticks need to be formatted with a File system. There are quite a few options and it may be that the Vu+ box does not like all possibilities.

Very briefly - The most compatible is FAT32 however there is an absolute file size limit of 4GB which may be a problem with video files if you use high quality settings. It's replacement exFAT has no such limit. NTFS is the Windows native file system but there could be compatibility issues with Linux (likely the basis of Vu+).

lossiemouth
4th Jan 2020, 16:50
Thanks JJ1, I'll give exFAT a try and see how we go.

Grateful for your help.

Robin.