PDA

View Full Version : WW2 - Sunderlands - My father

Davidsa
11th Nov 2019, 21:49
This remembrance season I find myself thinking - and wondering - about my late father and his time with the RAF.

He was a farmer's only son and thus not called up.

He volunteered to join towards the end of the war - of course no one knew it was coming to an end - partly because he didn't want to inherit the farm and joining was a means of escape. And of course there was a desire to "do his bit".

He was allocated to Coastal Command and trained to be a flight engineer on Sunderlands. (I recently came across some of his lecture notes which are fascinating).

He flew for many boring hours patrolling the empty grey sea, but was not involved in any action as such. Again, at the time he wasn't to know that was how it would be. He did recognize how lucky he had been.

I was born shortly after VE day.

But the war didn't end at VE day. His squadron was chosen to go to the Far East - I don't know exactly where - and was sent somewhere in Scotland to be trained. The technique that was being developed was to use a Sunderland to entice an enemy fighter onto its tail, dive steeply towards the sea to pull out at the last minute. The fighter, being much less manoeuvrable than the Sunderland, would plunge into the water. At least that was the theory!

My father came home for embarkation leave, and before long had to catch the train back to Scotland, fully expecting never to see his family again. I shudder to imagine what that parting was like.

But no sooner had he settled in his seat and the train started to move than someone ran alongside and jumped onboard panting and spluttering that the Japanese had surrendered. Dad fully believed that the atom bomb saved his life.

I am curious to know whether the gambit of leading a fighter down into the sea or the ground with a more manoeuvrable aircraft has any credibility. Does this story ring a bell with anyone? Was this ever tried? I rather suspect that whoever dreamed it up did not have to try it himself!

It is possible that it was a leg pull but I doubt it; I heard the story many times and although Dad was a great leg puller his jokes were short, sharp and original; the war was by no means a laughing matter.

NutLoose
12th Nov 2019, 00:46
I am curious to know whether the gambit of leading a fighter down into the sea or the ground with a more manoeuvrable aircraft has any credibility. Does this story ring a bell with anyone? Was this ever tried? I rather suspect that whoever dreamed it up did not have to try it himself!

Sunderlands used to hug the sea because it offered them protection, they were bristling with armament and were nicknamed the flying porcupines by the Germans, their one vulnerability was the lower hull.. So yes I could believe it.

The Sunderland was hit many times and some crew members were wounded but they managed to shoot down two, damage another and return home safely. Normal tactic for a Sunderland pilot when attacked by enemy fighters was to descend to water-level to protect the vulnerable hull from being riddled with holes and fight it out.

Your father sounds like he was a fine man.

Short Sunderland- The flying porcupine | Let Let Let - Warplanes (http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2013/10/07/short-sunderland-the-flying-porcupine/)

Sky blue and black
12th Nov 2019, 08:18
My local museum may be interested in copies of the lecture notes. https://www.sunderlandtrust.com/collections/

ShyTorque
12th Nov 2019, 08:35
Davidsa, Any idea which squadron he served with?

Davidsa
12th Nov 2019, 10:29
Squadron number was two hundred and something - 200, 201, 210 ... or etc.
He was certainly at Pembroke Dock for some of the time.
And in Scotland on the Moray Firth I think.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

David Layne
12th Nov 2019, 12:06
Squadron number was two hundred and something - 200, 201, 210 ... or etc.
He was certainly at Pembroke Dock for some of the time.
And in Scotland on the Moray Firth I think.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

Probably 204 Squadron

Video Mixdown
12th Nov 2019, 12:15
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1573x785/200_085d096d7bdf1bdae29b005557730f9aca09ecc4.jpg
Probably 204 Squadron

I'd have said more likely to be 201 or 228

Alan Mills
14th Nov 2019, 10:31
I think 204 was in Dakar for the final part of the War

MPN11
14th Nov 2019, 15:50
Sadly no data, logbooks or anything (apart from photos and medals) but my late FiL was a Nav on 201 at Pembroke. ‘His’ Sunderland is NS-Z at Hendon, and he was invited to the unveiling. Eventually ordered back to his civil occupation (he was originally exempted) as a Civil Engineer to help rebuild UK. F/O Jack Gillett, anyone?

57mm
14th Nov 2019, 16:44
One of the Navs on our Canberra outfit had been 2nd Nav on Sunderlands in the Far East. As 2nd Nav, he was the galley slave, expected to cook for the crew during sorties. Because of the heat, he cooked in shorts and vest; until the day they passed through a very active frontal system and the aircraft was turned almost inverted. Two fried eggs from the skillet landed on his chest, leaving him with a couple of noticeable scars.......

MPN11
14th Nov 2019, 18:53
My late FiL was apparently a renowned cook on Sunderlands, Not heroic, but a nice memoire! :)

Davidsa
14th Nov 2019, 20:46
They probably ate better than they would have on some airlines today. I wonder if any recipe books were provided, or there were any cookery lectures?

Chugalug2
14th Nov 2019, 22:43
One of the first Amendment Lists I carried out as a Flt Cdt was to QRs, removing all references to Hard Lying Allowances for Flying Boat Crews. In certain sea and wind conditions they were required to start up, cast off, and taxy into wind (usually all night) until conditions improved to enable re-mooring. I remember thinking at the time that it marked the end of an era...

Davidsa
15th Nov 2019, 11:43
Sounds horrific! Could have been for 8, 10, 12 hours, and then maybe fly a patrol the next day?

Innominate
15th Nov 2019, 16:04
Some 30+ years ago I had a long chat with Gp Capt K R (Jasper) Coates, an interwar flying boat pilot (Southamptons and other types) who had commanded (I think) 201 Sqn and the Sunderland OTU at Alness. He told me that the most common reason for rear gunners failing the course was that they couldn't cook...

Icare9
15th Nov 2019, 17:08
The crew for a Sunderland on long patrols could be u to 12, so cooking would be a long chore!

PlasticCabDriver
15th Nov 2019, 17:16
230 Sqn has an entry in their wartime F540 about one of their Sunderlands being attacked by some Italian fighters in the Med. They certainly shot at least one down, and one was listed as "flew into the sea unable to cope with the Sunderland's evasive manoeuvres" (or words to that effect) so perhaps some merit in the

" The technique that was being developed was to use a Sunderland to entice an enemy fighter onto its tail, dive steeply towards the sea to pull out at the last minute. The fighter, being much less manoeuvrable than the Sunderland, would plunge into the water. At least that was the theory! "

tactic!

MPN11
15th Nov 2019, 17:55
I find that “less manoeuvrable” concept slightly strange, TBH.

Yes, if the fighter is barrelling in at multi-knots and faced with a sharp evasive move at 20ft amsl, I could see it going wrong. But surely the fighter isn’t in close formation? It’s a few hundred feet away, overtaking relatively slowly given the target, and pumping metal and largely matching speed? Or is this statement implying ‘target fixation’?

I defer to experts to clarify ... I find it difficult to express myself in this context.

Davidsa
15th Nov 2019, 20:33
I remember my father referring to "Alness". He could well have been in squadron 201;

Video Mixdown
16th Nov 2019, 10:28
I remember my father referring to "Alness". He could well have been in squadron 201;

The references to Invergordon and Alness are possibly related to time spent on No.4 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit, who trained Sunderland crews out of Invergordon during that period

Warmtoast
16th Nov 2019, 22:34
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x544/addu_20atoll_202_zpsi9gt7rlg_a7b2aabeb8b62457f0099b439e83c4a 91069a3b3.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x545/addu_20atoll_201_zpszalfe7rl_71dd76e82c2012c6ed5a11496517906 4900e0cea.jpg

Davidsa
Your #1 above
His squadron was chosen to go to the Far East - I don't know exactly where
FWIW 230 Squadron were in the Far East during WW2 (and afterwards) in Ceylon, Burma and Singapore. These two IWM photos show a 230 Sqn Sunderland at Gan during WW2.

Davidsa
17th Nov 2019, 10:55
Many thanks, Warmtoast :O

ShyTorque
17th Nov 2019, 11:00
230 Sqn has an entry in their wartime F540 about one of their Sunderlands being attacked by some Italian fighters in the Med. They certainly shot at least one down, and one was listed as "flew into the sea unable to cope with the Sunderland's evasive manoeuvres" (or words to that effect) so perhaps some merit in the

" The technique that was being developed was to use a Sunderland to entice an enemy fighter onto its tail, dive steeply towards the sea to pull out at the last minute. The fighter, being much less manoeuvrable than the Sunderland, would plunge into the water. At least that was the theory! "

tactic!

230 would never do that at lunchtime though - it might upset the chef!

Wander00
17th Nov 2019, 13:04
My OC Admin at Watton mid 60s was a chap called Peter Moon. He had been involved with Sunderlands during the war, and received some sort of commendation for saving a moored aircraft when on storm watch. He became an admin wallah an by sheer grit and hard work and despite formal educational qualifications got commissioned and left as gp capt. Many years later when I was Secretary of a large S Coast Yacht Club, he called in to invite me to lunch at Barton on Sea Golf Club where he held some exalted position. He had seen my name in the Lymington Times. Lovely man, but I wished that I knew more of the Sunderland incident..

Lancman
18th Nov 2019, 07:35
An ex-engine fitter told me that once when he was working out on the wing of a Sunderland on a mooring at Pembroke Dock there was a mighty splash and a very worried armourer shouted that an armed depth charge had dropped off its under-wing hook into the water. The depth charge was fused to go off at a depth of thirty feet and the tide was rising. He and the armourer started running up and down the wings waving frantically and shouting at the Marine Craft section for a quick trip ashore.

Eventually a tender started out towards them and as it drew alongside the armourer shouted “Quick, quick, there’s a depth charge below us and it’s likely to explode at any moment”. “Thanks mate” said the coxswain and promptly shot off back to the MCS leaving our two heroes aboard the Sunderland.

Lesson; the timing of a message can be vital.

The eventual fix was to un-moor the flying boat and to let her drift to a tender that was standing off at a respectful distance.

Union Jack
18th Nov 2019, 20:07
My OC Admin at Watton mid 60s was a chap called Peter Moon. He had been involved with Sunderlands during the war, and received some sort of commendation for saving a moored aircraft when on storm watch. He became an admin wallah and by sheer grit and hard work and despite formal educational qualifications got commissioned and left as gp capt. Many years later when I was Secretary of a large S Coast Yacht Club, he called in to invite me to lunch at Barton on Sea Golf Club where he held some exalted position. He had seen my name in the Lymington Times. Lovely man, but I wished that I knew more of the Sunderland incident..

That's surely rather a hard reflection on your eventual branch surely, Wanders! Incidentally, I was a guest in your regal yacht club on many occasions (during your tenure I suspect) and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of both the bar and the dining room. Barton on Sea GC isn't too shabby either....

Jack

oxenos
18th Nov 2019, 21:54
The depth charge was fused to go off at a depth of thirty feet

Shackletons carried the same Mk. XI.depthcharge.
It is a mere 55 years since I did the MOTU course, and was taught about them.
The hole which let the water into the pressure capsule which fired the pistol was covered by a screw cap with a rubber seal, which kept the water out. This cap had vanes on it, so that when it fell into the slipstream the cap would unscrew and fall away, uncovering the hole. To prevent this from unscrewing prematurely, the vanes had a length of soft copper wire threaded through them. A loop at the end of this wire sat in the open jaws of the fusing unit. If the aircraft ditched, or the D/C was dropped safe, or as in this case, fell into the ogg, the wire would stay in place, the vanes would not rotate, and the water would not enter the hole. Only if the Nav "fused" the D/C would the fusing unit jaws close, so that the wire would be pulled from the vanes and the cap would unscrew to let the water in.
!. It is amazing what you can remember when you don't need to.
2.I really was paying attention to Pete C+++++y's lecture.
3. Can't remember where I left the car keys.
4. The depth charge couldn't possibly have gone off.
5. I reckon I would have swum half a mile in about 2 minutes in those circumstances.

Davidsa
19th Nov 2019, 10:04
Thanks Oxenos
:O
I'm trying to picture the setup!
So the Navigator would fuse the D/C's remotely from within the aircraft, the D/C's being hung under the wing?
And if the cap's screw thread got just a little bit corroded maybe it would stick and not unscrew itself?
David

Caramba
19th Nov 2019, 12:30
Sadly, my father isn’t here to ask. However, on a Sunderland wouldn’t the DC’s be fused just before running the underwing racks out into position?

i was also under the impression that additional DC’s could be loaded onto the (empty) racks from within the fuselage and the racks run out again once the first lot had been dropped.

anybody know for sure?

caramba

pS I’m sure the racks ran in and out. At least, they did on my Airfix model!

Lancman
19th Nov 2019, 13:55
Oxenos’ description of the Mk XI depth charge safety system is undoubtedly correct. In fact now that he mentions it I vaguely recollect being told of it when I first joined Shacks and thinking that it was a jolly good idea in the event of a ditching. But that was in 1952 and must have slipped my mind.

oxenos
19th Nov 2019, 16:30
if the cap's screw thread got just a little bit corroded maybe it would stick and not unscrew itself?
I am sure that the armourers would be most offended at that suggestion. No doubt the cap would periodically be removed and greased.
Navigator would fuse the D/C's remotely from within the aircraft, the D/C's being hung under the wing?
The Depth charges, and any other stores would be attached to Electromagnetic release units, whether in a bomb bay or on a wing. These would be released electrically from the pilots or Navs bomb firing switch. Similarly, the fusing unit was electrically operated. The jaws were spring loaded open, (which meant the safety wire would stay with the D/C,) and were closed electrically to retain the wire so that the D/C would drop live.
On the run up to a drop, the Nav would call "weapons selected and fused" Weapons selected meant that he had made connections between the chosen weapons and the bomb firing switch. Fused meant that he had closed the jaws of the fusing units so that they would drop live.
Some time ago I came across a video on the net of D/Cs being loaded onto a Sunderland. I cannot now find it - if someone does perhaps they could add it to this thread.

Wander00
19th Nov 2019, 17:27
UJ, sorry we (presumably) did not meet. What I wrote was intened as a compliment to the guy concerned, he was a very good egg indeed

Geriaviator
20th Nov 2019, 12:15
Caramba, like myself you probably have so many questions you could ask only it's too late. You might like to read the memories of my long-gone friend Bob Hume, who trained as a flight engineer at Pembroke Dock in 1943 and perhaps even met your father. By the way, there's an excellent Sunderland museum in the old chapel at Pembroke Dock which you would enjoy visiting. https://www.sunderlandtrust.com/

Bob remembered takeoffs as being exciting, as in calm conditions a Sunderland or Catalina at operational weights could take three miles to get airborne. Usually it was between one and two miles. Wind had most effect of course, but calm water increased suction on the hull due to the Bernoulli effect. In such conditions a couple of launches would zig-zag across the fairway to roughen it up, a task exciting to the boat crews and to the anxious aircrew in the Sunderland thundering towards them at 40 knots or more.

The flying-boats began their run by 'ploughing' through the water with the stick fully back until the nose rose and the bow-wave began moving aft. In calm conditions it helped to pump the stick gently to encourage this. At this stage the stick was eased forward to encourage the hull to rise onto its step and begin planing at around 50 knots, so decreasing the water drag and enabling the craft to attain flying speed. Of course there were no powered controls so pilots had to be pretty fit.

Bob recalled that they would often taxi a couple of miles along Milford Haven before takeoff, while for certain wind conditions they used an area off Angle, several miles away, and were sometimes towed by boat to save fuel, adding an hour or more towage each way to a typical 12 hour sortie.

Bob and his colleagues liked their sturdy Sunderlands although their 965bhp Bristol Pegasus engines sometimes gave trouble because they were consistently overworked and had two-speed VP propellers. The Sunderland V had 1200bhp Twin Wasps and constant-speed props as used in Catalina, Dakota and Liberator, enabling the big boat to maintain height on two engines.

During their long patrols Bob's skipper encouraged his crew to interchange their duties in case of emergencies. Twenty-three years later I took Bob aloft again to make him one of the few pilots to transition to Tiger Moth after 20 hours ab-initio in a Sunderland, and very well he managed it.

Despite hundreds of hours on Atlantic patrol, Bob and his crew saw no action although in early 1944 they did sight a Kurier circling a convoy about 100 miles out from Donegal. “We were all dead keen to have a go, the skipper turned towards it and we opened the Peggies flat-out though we had no chance of catching it, maybe we thought we could sneak up on him. The nav was up in the astrodome giving a running commentary: he's going left, no he's going right, dammit he's turning south, the ------'s running away!

I don't blame him, said the skipper, the first time I saw you lot forming up at OTU I felt like doing the same thing.

Union Jack
20th Nov 2019, 22:41
UJ, sorry we (presumably) did not meet. What I wrote was intened as a compliment to the guy concerned, he was a very good egg indeed

Perfectly understood, Wander00 - I was merely teasing about the lack of "lack of" in your post and I am of course suitably impressed by the achievement of the gentleman concerned. Speaking of gentlemen, my lovely host was Ben R, who very sensibly kept me out of your way.

Jack

Wander00
21st Nov 2019, 07:44
Aah, another fine chap

Krakatoa
21st Nov 2019, 10:15
I find it hard to believe calm calm conditions existed at Pembrioke Dock. A night departure from Seletar was usually
flat calm. The Rule was if you are not off by the end of flare path ..... close the throttles and try again. I remember
one night we managed to get off on the third try.

pax britanica
21st Nov 2019, 11:03
A fascinating thread about an aircraft and service branch that (to me at least) doesnt get the credit for playing a critical part in WW2 -keeping the Atlantic open.
I was interested to read of the rather demanding takeoff requirements as I have spent alot of time in Bermuda in my carer and the Great Sound, the large inlet running West to East in the centre of the Island was a flying boat base in WW2 . I do not know if Sunderlands operated from there but it must have been a challenge as although it is long enough it is littered with islands and obstacles and very capricious winds as well as having very few takeoffs towards open sea. Bermuda is not exactly mountainous but none of it is flat (except the airport and thats almost all reclaimed) and most take off directions would face some obstacle so it must have been a real challenge in a Sunderland fully armed and fuelled to the brim for an ocean patrol.

On a smaller scale I had an Airfix Sunderland model which when finished was great - had a lot of moveable bits including the run in run our depth charge system. It was also made of white plastic so not much painting. On the downside the high wings and as all modells know you need to make up some form of support to stop them sagging while the glue dried. Thanks for a fascinating thread

Davidsa
21st Nov 2019, 21:53
This is all very interesting and in accord with what I remember my father saying. Thanks, everybody!!There are references to "Pegasus" in the lecture notes so that confirms what version of aircraft he was on.

The notes include several diagrams of the VP propeller mechanisms but from what I can see there is no mention of there being just two settings. Maybe there were lots of variations.

I remember Dad talking about it being easier to take off in choppy water than calm, which is counter-intuitive at first sight, and about planing "on the step" and - hopefully - coming "unstuck". Also wasn't "alighting" onto calm water quite difficult? Hard to see the surface and judge when to flare?

I seem to remember that much of the patrolling was flown at 1000 feet - must have been bumpy. You would need a strong stomach to survive particularly if your mates were doing the cooking! Must have been wonderful views though, when there was something other than sea to look at!

Q-SKI
22nd Nov 2019, 13:06
Possibly 230, the old boys association back in the day consisted of some marvellous ex Sunderland crew.

Davidsa
24th Nov 2019, 12:29
Bob recalled that they would often taxi a couple of miles along Milford Haven before takeoff, while for certain wind conditions they used an area off Angle, several miles away, and were sometimes towed by boat to save fuel, adding an hour or more towage each way to a typical 12 hour sortie.

Just out of curiosity, if desired could a fully fuelled Sunderland make it all the way to NE Canada or Bermuda from Pembroke Dock or Alness?

David

Geriaviator
24th Nov 2019, 13:34
No chance David, Sunderland range was almost 2000 miles, distance from Pembroke Dock to Bermuda is 3000+ miles, to Nova Scotia about 2,700, and then you've got the prevailing westerly winds. There could be no air cover in mid-Atlantic until the arrival of the Liberator and the escort carrier.

Davidsa
24th Nov 2019, 13:57
No chance David, Sunderland range was almost 2000 miles, distance from Pembroke Dock to Bermuda is 3000+ miles, to Nova Scotia about 2,700, and then you've got the prevailing westerly winds. There could be no air cover in mid-Atlantic until the arrival of the Liberator and the escort carrier.

So at the end of a 12 hour sortie they would be down to the last few pints?

Geriaviator
24th Nov 2019, 14:47
Not necessarily, others here better qualified than myself but any aircraft performance varies with power settings. I'd guess that a Sunderland cruised around 160mph to and from station but would patrol at lower speeds and so use less fuel. The Catalina cruised around 130mph but would patrol at 110 or even less, with endurance of 20 hours or more thanks to its long glider-like wing. To quote one of the poems remembered by our late lamented Danny:
The Cat was a dandy, the Cat was a Yank
And her crews they called her the f-f-flying plank.

Chugalug2
24th Nov 2019, 16:04
The notes include several diagrams of the VP propeller mechanisms but from what I can see there is no mention of there being just two settings. Maybe there were lots of variations.

The classic illustration of the transition from fixed pitch to fully variable pitch constant speed propellers is of course the Spitfire. By WWII the early fixed pitch two bladed wooden propellers of the Mk1 had been replaced by two pitch propellers. This was an improvement but still left the advantage very much with the opposition. It is often related how De-Haviland (which had UK rights to the Hamilton Standard design) servicing teams were touring the Fighter Command Stations replacing these two pitch propellers with their three bladed ones fitted with CSUs, just in time for the strategically all important Battle of Britain. Other types no doubt went through a similar transition at about this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spitfire_(early_Merlin-powered_variants)#Mk_I_(Type_300)

We had an ex Sunderland pilot on 30 Sqn when we flew the Hastings. He always said that with operating the 'boats you needed to know as much about Seamanship as you did about Airmanship!

Davidsa
24th Nov 2019, 20:03
I've had another look at the lecture notes and found some information about weight and range. Obviously a crucially important topic.
Speeds in knots:
AUW: 58000 lbs
Max Cruising speed/max continuous speed: 205 kn
"Desirable" cruising speed: 125 kn
Speed could be reduced by 5 kn for each 4000 lb of weight reduced, equivalent to 550 galls fuel burnt, down to 110-115kn
Use high boost and low revs
Absolute min speed for endurance 95 - 98 kn,
And fly at 1000 - 2000 feet for low fuel consumption and visibility.

Another question occurs to me, not directly related to the above:
When the Sunderlands were moving from one base to another - ie from Pembroke Dock to Alness, would they have gone round the coast, so they could alight in the case of engine failure, or taken a direct route overland?

Thanks in advance

David

Brian 48nav
24th Nov 2019, 20:43
Chugalug2

Sorry to correct you! I think you meant to say on 30Sqn Hercs at Fairford - Abe Lincoln of course. I flew as Abe's nav a few times and boy was he a stickler for everyone giving 100% at all times! When the squadron moved to Lyneham, Abe went off to be one of the wing pilots - for those not in the know, that meant his job was carrying out check rides on captains and co-pilots.
Flying en-route at 25000' Abe would look down at the sea and give a surface wind check for his nav. He was a great guy to fly with and I learnt so much from him, but he could be so frustrating after landing, at say Akrotiri - the crew would be in a hurry to get to the bar for a wind-down beer but Abe would take 20 minutes plus to get out of his seat. IIRC he was teetotal and in not such a rush as the rest of us!
He left the RAF in the mid-70s in the big exodus and returned to NZ - about 20 years later I happened to be looking at magazines ( !! ) in W H Smiths in Blandford when I heard a short snippet of conversation behind me at the checkout, crikey I thought that sounds like Abe Lincoln. I looked around and there he was - I went over to say hello and to my everlasting pleasure he recognised me and said "My favourite nav' ! ". He had got fed up with life and aviation bureaucracy in NZ and had returned to Blighty. At that time he was restoring an old aeroplane ( Stinson?? ) at Henstridge. I think he passed away in the early 2000s and he left instructions that no-one was to attend his funeral!!

Pax B

According to Jefford's book "RAF Squadrons' Sunderlands were never based in Bermuda. I guess the US covered that part of the Atlantic.

Chugalug2
24th Nov 2019, 21:52
Brian, yes Hercules of course! Am I getting old? "Oh, no not you!", do I hear you say? No? Well please yourself. I clearly don't drink from the same fountain that our dear Danny did!

Interesting that Abe went back to NZ only to then return to Dear Ole Blighty. Ever a man of discernment, and one of nature's gentlemen. He came to 30 from the British Antarctic Survey where he drove garishly painted Trotters for a living. A varied and distinguished career indeed.

Davidsa, your suggestion that Sunderlands would choose to overfly water where possible is well made. I can only say that the Sunderland that the King's brother, Prince George, perished in was planned to route around the Scottish East Coast before setting heading for its supposed destination, Reykjavik. Instead it crashed well inland on Eagle Rock that overlooked Loch More, which in turn bordered the estate of Sir Archibald Sinclair, then SoS for Air . The Duke, an Air Commodore, was officially on a tour of inspection of RAF bases, though mysteriously had a briefcase chained to his wrist stuffed full with Swedish Kroner.

15 bodies were recovered, the official SOB, when a 16th, the rear gunner, turned up alive. The aircraft supposedly was some 30 mins late on flight plan in crashing, the time of impact being recorded by witnesses. The extra body was supposedly that of Rudolf Hess on his way home via neutral Sweden. Which raises the question of who died at Spandau with a horizontal ligature, evidently a hitherto unique result of suicide?

What has this to do with Sunderland routeing? Nothing much, but a rattling good yarn wouldn't you say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbeath_air_crash

Prince George's mysterious death in 1942 - Political Conspiracies - The Education Forum (http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/18317-prince-georges-mysterious-death-in-1942/)

Geriaviator
25th Nov 2019, 13:41
I've had another look at the lecture notes and found some information about weight and range. Obviously a crucially important topic.

Yes David, that's the info your father would have used. Speeds were even slower than I thought but were seldom important, rather maximum endurance to loiter on convoy escort, opening up only when a target was detected.

One of his major responsibilities as f/eng, in between monitoring pressures and temperatures and adjusting mixtures for each power setting, would have been keeping a meticulous log of fuel consumption against time. The Sunderland had up to 10 fuel tanks which would be emptied in a prescribed order or perhaps transferred one to another using crossfeed connections. As each tank emptied, its capacity against time gave the fuel consumption which could be compared with the flight manual figures to reveal any inconsistency. This info would be constantly passed to pilot and navigator.

Of course there were no flowmeters to measure consumption of each individual engine and tank gauges were notoriously inaccurate. Some crews even ran each tank until the engine spluttered, so ensuring they took the last drop.

As regards overland flight, there were several instances of damaged aircraft alighting on land so it wasn't a problem, and a lightly loaded Sunderland could maintain height on three engines anyway. The Pembroke Dock aircraft had only to head west along Milford Haven and out into the Celtic Sea, towards the Western Approaches or the Bay of Biscay. The other big base, Castle Archdale on Lough Erne in Northern Ireland, had a short corridor across neutral Eire to avoid the long flight around Donegal – but in practice, I was told, they came and went via the most convenient routes.

Whichever way you look at it, your father and his colleagues did a fine job!

Fareastdriver
25th Nov 2019, 18:34
alighting on land so it wasn't a problem,

There was a Sunderland in the aircraft dump at Aldergrove in 1949. It would have been to difficult to tow from Lough Neagh across the railway so it must have 'flown' in.

We wanted to convert the floats into boats but the RAF police kept chasing us away.

oxenos
25th Nov 2019, 18:59
When I joined Coastal in 1964, people still joked that the Catalina used to take off at 90 knots, fly at 90 knots and land at 90 knots.
Years later I bought a facsimile copy of Catalina Pilots Notes at the excellent museum at Pembroke Dock referred to above. The speeds quoted were not that far off the joking reference to 90 knots.
It left the water at 65 knots, but was then accelerated to safety speed, which was 80 knots. Climb was at 85kts.
Range speed was 98 knots heavy, 88 kts. light.
The graphs show endurance speed at 75 kts, but the text says"for endurance, speed may be reduced to the lowest speed at which the aircraft can be comfortably flown - about 80 kts."
Graphs are given for nautical miles per U.S. gallon with and without depth charges. Being under the wing and not in a bomb bay the drag of the depth charges reduce the ANMPG by about 10- 15%.
Range clean to dry tanks was about 2500 N.M.
However, after the fall of Singapore and the cutting of the telegraph cables a secure mail service was operated jointly by the RAAF and QANTAS between Perth and Ceylon, a distance of around 3100 N.M. The aircraft were stripped of a possible weight, and carried additional fuel tanks in the hull.

Fareastdriver
25th Nov 2019, 19:38
3,100 n.m. / avg 93kts. 33 hrs. 20 minutes. That would do your ears no end of good.

pettinger93
25th Nov 2019, 21:23
Fareastdriver: Have some memory of seeing a photo of a Sunderland after landing on grass at Aldergrove, or somewhere nearby, after badly holing the hull on takeoff, This, of course, removed the possibility of landing on water. It apparently slid easily along the grass and suffered very little more damage. This may be the hull you saw?

oxenos
25th Nov 2019, 22:04
If you giggle "Sunderland flying boat at Angle" there is a film on youtube of a landing at Angle, a grass airfield near Pembroke Dock - not at Anglesey

Geriaviator
26th Nov 2019, 08:36
#pettinger93 -- Another senior member on frequency. Good health Sir!

Wander00
26th Nov 2019, 08:51
A guy I knew won a DFC for a Catalina flight Sullom Voe to Spitzbergen and back, 23.5 hrs ISTR. Later got a bar for sinking an Italian submarine in the Med

binbrook
26th Nov 2019, 09:56
I had one trip in a Sunderland. Engine synch was interesting: 1 and 2 were done first, by eye looking through the prop discs, then 3 and 4, and then the two pairs were matched by ear.

Davidsa
26th Nov 2019, 10:36
I had one trip in a Sunderland. Engine synch was interesting: 1 and 2 were done first, by eye looking through the prop discs, then 3 and 4, and then the two pairs were matched by ear.

Who would do the synch? Captain, engineer, or a joint effort? Presumably getting the synch right would make a 10 or 12 hour sortie a shade less unbearable.

Flying in WW2 aircraft generally could not have been good for the hearing!

Davidsa
26th Nov 2019, 10:57
Brian, yes Hercules of course! Am I getting old? "Oh, no not you!", do I hear you say? No? Well please yourself. I clearly don't drink from the same fountain that our dear Danny did!

Interesting that Abe went back to NZ only to then return to Dear Ole Blighty. Ever a man of discernment, and one of nature's gentlemen. He came to 30 from the British Antarctic Survey where he drove garishly painted Trotters for a living. A varied and distinguished career indeed.

Davidsa, your suggestion that Sunderlands would choose to overfly water where possible is well made. I can only say that the Sunderland that the King's brother, Prince George, perished in was planned to route around the Scottish East Coast before setting heading for its supposed destination, Reykjavik. Instead it crashed well inland on Eagle Rock that overlooked Loch More, which in turn bordered the estate of Sir Archibald Sinclair, then SoS for Air . The Duke, an Air Commodore, was officially on a tour of inspection of RAF bases, though mysteriously had a briefcase chained to his wrist stuffed full with Swedish Kroner.

15 bodies were recovered, the official SOB, when a 16th, the rear gunner, turned up alive. The aircraft supposedly was some 30 mins late on flight plan in crashing, the time of impact being recorded by witnesses. The extra body was supposedly that of Rudolf Hess on his way home via neutral Sweden. Which raises the question of who died at Spandau with a horizontal ligature, evidently a hitherto unique result of suicide?

What has this to do with Sunderland routeing? Nothing much, but a rattling good yarn wouldn't you say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbeath_air_crash

Prince George's mysterious death in 1942 - Political Conspiracies - The Education Forum (http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/18317-prince-georges-mysterious-death-in-1942/)

Excellent yarn indeed. Surprising that it hasn't been filmed.

My father did speak about going to Iceland, but I don't know if hey actually went, or went ashore if they alighted there.

He did patrol to such places as Rockall and the Faroes.

oxenos
26th Nov 2019, 11:13
The Shackleton had an instrument which aided synchronising, but if it was not working the procedure as quoted by binbrook.

pettinger93
26th Nov 2019, 17:17
Geriaviator: Thank for your greetings, but I fear that I do not qualify as a senior member: the number '93' on my ID name is not my age, (though I hope to get there eventually.)

Chugalug2
27th Nov 2019, 11:20
Who would do the synch? Captain, engineer, or a joint effort? Presumably getting the synch right would make a 10 or 12 hour sortie a shade less unbearable.

Flying in WW2 aircraft generally could not have been good for the hearing!

Synchronising props on the Hastings was a dark art of the FE's revealed to none. Synchronising between 1&2, and 3&4, was simple enough. The Capt would tweak the #1 RPM so that the shadow cast (if at night seen by shining the Aldis Light out of the window) across the blades of 1&2, which would be slowly moving, became stationary. Similarly the FE looking out of his window on the RHS of the a/c (or the CP) would synch the #4 to #3. This would leave an audible beat between the inners (3&4). This could then be taken out by then tweaking the #3 (usually). The shadow cast between 3&4 would then start moving again, so once more the #4 would be adjusted. The synch would then be complete, until someone (usually the AQM!) complained again about the beat in the cabin. Repeat as above on all 4!

This is only my theory as it was never spelled out (especially to inquisitive young CP's!), so unless anyone is prepared to reveal all (and then be blackballed out of the FE club), that is the best I can offer.

Fareastdriver
27th Nov 2019, 11:50
My father described this system of synchronisation as 'ghosting'.