PDA

View Full Version : I have some sad news to relate to you all, Grolsch will no longer be sold in the UK

NutLoose
11th Nov 2019, 14:25
That bastion of beers, the mainstay of RAFG is gone...… the news could drive a grown man to alcohol :sad::{:{:{

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/grolsch-lager-will-no-longer-be-sold-in-supermarkets/ar-BBWAGKF?ocid=spartandhp

57mm
11th Nov 2019, 16:05
I'll definitely miss those old lever top bottles, but not the hangovers......

oldmansquipper
11th Nov 2019, 16:26
Ah yes, giggling beer. Down to the Trevvy in Venlo for several crates (the deposit on the crate was more than the beer) for the Friday beer call.

A Dujardin and coke man me - Grolsch was the only beer that DIDNT make me ill...

Herod
11th Nov 2019, 16:34
I think this is the UK brewed version, which I was led to believe was brewed to "British tastes". Not the same stuff as you can get in Holland. Don't think it will be missed.

Saintsman
11th Nov 2019, 16:45
I think this is the UK brewed version, which I was led to believe was brewed to "British tastes". Not the same stuff as you can get in Holland. Don't think it will be missed.

l agree. Most ‘foreign’ beers that are brewed in the UK are usually a poorer version of the real deal.

In fact most mass produced beer and lager is not as good as the smaller batched, which is probably why craft beers are so successful (even though they can cost a great deal more).

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2019, 16:51
Good old Grolsch. When the NAAFI started selling it in Gutersloh, we could buy a crate, drink the beer, then export the empties back to UK and make a profit by claiming the deposit. :E

Kiltrash
11th Nov 2019, 17:01
Grolsch, the staple food when I was at Uni

Chris Kebab
11th Nov 2019, 17:03
Good old Grolsch. When the NAAFI started selling it in Gutersloh, we could buy a crate, drink the beer, then export the empties back to UK and make a profit by claiming the deposit. :E
Ah yes, recall filling the boot of the (tax free) car up with crates of this to give to folks back home as Xmas presents (wasn't easily available in UK then) and leave them to get the deposit back. As I recall they were 40p a bottle in the NAAFI and most off licences in the UK gave you 50p deposit for an empty! Mind you I do recall drinking with a Dutch guy once who said that Grolsch to them was "...the same as your Watney's Red Barrel", i.e. throwing beer!

langleybaston
11th Nov 2019, 17:04
never mind, there is always Wobbly Warsteiner ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I hope

weemonkey
11th Nov 2019, 17:15

And Bitburg ! both 1.49 pounds sterling NOT brewed in stoke on trent either...

Krystal n chips
11th Nov 2019, 17:39

Be aware......this alternative to, or in conjunction with Groslch at the time, depending entirely on your location and company that is.... now comes in....ready for this ?........an alcohol free version !......scandal ! sacrilege !. defamation !

NutLoose
11th Nov 2019, 18:12
Ah yes, recall filling the boot of the (tax free) car up with crates of this to give to folks back home as Xmas presents (wasn't easily available in UK then) and leave them to get the deposit back. As I recall they were 40p a bottle in the NAAFI and most off licences in the UK gave you 50p deposit for an empty! Mind you I do recall drinking with a Dutch guy once who said that Grolsch to them was "...the same as your Watney's Red Barrel", i.e. throwing beer!

Then stocking up on 5p coins for the 1DM machines :O

or so I'm told ;)

ShyTorque
11th Nov 2019, 19:55

When it was first sold, in the very early 1980s, it used to cost the equivalent of 17p a bottle. Then we got 30p back on an empty bottle in UK. It was better to drink the beer overseas because there was no customs restriction on how many crates of empty bottles you could import.

Sloppy Link
11th Nov 2019, 21:27
I was a Wobbly man, Grobbly gave me to much of a sh!t in the mouth morning.

just another jocky
12th Nov 2019, 07:35
I was a Wobbly man, Grobbly gave me to much of a sh!t in the mouth morning.

Wot he said! :yuk:

woptb
12th Nov 2019, 08:10
Wot he said! :yuk:
Grolsch the mainstay of RAFG? Filthy,fizzy stuff & Dutch to boot! Wobbly is the stuff!

ShyTorque
12th Nov 2019, 08:16
Grolsch the mainstay of RAFG? Filthy,fizzy stuff & Dutch to boot! Wobbly is the stuff!

Maybe, but with Grolsch you could get your mates to drink the beer, get a proper beer* in return and still make a profit. Win, Win!

*But hopefully not "Wobbly" ...it earned the nickname for a reason!

teeteringhead
12th Nov 2019, 09:17
Ah yes, recall filling the boot of the (tax free) car up with cratesGet a whole lot of crates in a Chinook.

Think some Basingstoke offies must have gone bankrupt.

Rigga
12th Nov 2019, 09:35
GOOD! - It always gave me a headache!

I stick to Wobbly, Veltins and Erdinger...

NutLoose
12th Nov 2019, 10:52
Or Jever Pils, that used to turn your poo black..

Gulf Flyer
12th Nov 2019, 11:02
Too much Keo beer - many times, physically ill? Too much Grolsch - thumping headache!

I was seriously pleased when the Wall came down, and those 4 a.m. phone calls finally stopped?!

ShyTorque
12th Nov 2019, 12:21
Get a whole lot of crates in a Chinook.

Think some Basingstoke offies must have gone bankrupt.

The landlord of the Water Witch pub ended up with his back yard overflowing with crates.

Dave Sharpe
12th Nov 2019, 16:19
The good news is at least in Morrisons in England one can buy three 660cl bottles of wobbly for a Fiver.......

k3k3
12th Nov 2019, 17:09
Sainsbury's own brand Czech beer is actually brewed in Prague, whereas all the beers they sell with Czech sounding names are manufactured in the UK, choice of names for the processes is deliberate.

Buster11
12th Nov 2019, 22:54
l agree. Most ‘foreign’ beers that are brewed in the UK are usually a poorer version of the real deal.

In fact it's not only beers. The British-produced versions of soft drinks (sorry, I'll wash my mouth out later...) like Coke and various other fizzies seem grossly over-gassy, so the overall taste is of the straight-up-your-nose CO2, rather than a more subtle tingle that mainland Europe seems to prefer and that doesn't mask most of the taste.

pax britanica
13th Nov 2019, 08:10
I used to work close to M4 J 11 Reading west right by the big brewery there. every day . Different day different tankers different beer-all made in the same place with same water and probably the same materials just with small variations but then I am not a fan of 'foreign lagers' that have brewed in UK in small letters on the label. For that reason and the fizziness I prefer some of the continental products especially Czech where my son lives who have an extrordinarily wide range of local beers alongside the well known names . Because its national obsession quality is always very good and highly competitive price wise , 6 x 500ml in supermarket being the best value as one brewery or another has special deals on and a six pack can be had for about 1 euro 50

esa-aardvark
13th Nov 2019, 17:25
Not mine, lived near the Jever brewery and walked through their yard many times.
Mind you at age 13 was not a heavy drinker.

Stu666
14th Nov 2019, 08:18
I used to work close to M4 J 11 Reading west right by the big brewery there. every day . Different day different tankers different beer-all made in the same place with same water and probably the same materials just with small variations but then I am not a fan of 'foreign lagers' that have brewed in UK in small letters on the label.

Trouble with most of the big breweries is it's all about maximising profits - quantity over quality. Their brewers are little more than cooks working to a script. A relation of mine works for a successful microbrewery who make some of the most stunning craft beers I have ever tasted. They were interested in mass producing one of their popular beers, but without losing the quality which so often happens once you cross the line into mass production. They approached one of the big breweries about a potential partnership and went to have a look around. They realised that, although the big firm had the necessary kit many times over, they didn't actually have the skills to produce it. Nor were they prepared to expand their knowledge. Not prepared to sacrifice their good reputation, the microbrewery had to knock it on the head unfortunately.

Very rare that I drink a UK-produced lager these days, there's just no going back with the amazing variety of craft beers now available.