PDA

View Full Version : W.H "Nick" Carter

Cloudcutter
11th Nov 2019, 09:35
Nick Carter was a fighter pilot during WW2....just missing out on participating in the Battle of Britian
Nick was a larger than life character in the style of Keith Miller
He joined Qantas and was an FO on the Connies and 707s
Not sure if he ever gained Command
I'm just trying to fill in the blanks on his life.Three days googling bought up zilch
If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated
CC

Wunwing
12th Nov 2019, 20:51
I remember Nick from my early 707 days, starting in 1970. When I flew with him he was an FO.

The Adastron site lists all QF B707 crew and shows him as an FO but not a Captain which ties in with the little that I remember about him.

Wunwing.

bobbelmore
13th Nov 2019, 00:53
Nick's name was William Hamilton Carter.
He joined Qantas on 5/7/1949. Soon after, he was posted to Qantas in New Guinea.
He never made it to captain other than in New Guinea.
He retired on 5/7/1980 as a B747 (classic) F/O.
He died in sad circumstances on 14-15/3/1987.
When in New Guinea the following is on the record:
24/11/1950 DH 83 VH-URI Captain W.H.Carter
Boana
After take-off was abandoned the aircraft entered kunai grass at the end of the runway and nosed over.
extensive damage to aircraft
1 pax seriously hurt

Ross Richardson
15th Feb 2020, 01:00
I have come across the conversations about Nick.
I am Nick's nephew and have very fond memories, of a remarkable man.
I have Nick's log book and photo albums and would be happy to provide any details or assistance, if you are interested.

Cloudcutter
15th Feb 2020, 04:09
Ross
could you contact me on
[email protected]

Cloudcutter
15th Feb 2020, 04:42
Ross Id love to know more about Nick
Could you send me a PM please

Cloudcutter
15th Feb 2020, 07:00
Hi Ross
Nick certainly seems to have lead an amazing life
I have a photo of him taken in the Late 70s
i have sent you a PM

Hoosten
15th Feb 2020, 07:41
I recall a conversation on this site about logbooks. This seems to be a case of another aviator in which very many pilots would love to browse through the entries. Not access to the originals perhaps. Maybe a replication?

tail wheel
15th Feb 2020, 22:21
DH83 Fox Moth VH-URI

From Ed Coates web site:
"VH-URI was sold in New Guinea after WW II and was based at Wau in 1952, passing to J.K. Gray of Goroka in 1958.
It crashed and was written off at the Lutheran Mission strip at Boana in PNG in November 1958."

The 1958 date that Jack Gray allegedly acquired the aircraft wreck is incorrect as sadly Jack Gray and Jim Smith were killed in a PNG Tiger Moth crash in 1956. By 1958 the company, Territory Airlines (TAL) had been acquired by Dennis Buchanan.

The 1958 crash date is also incorrect, the Fox Moth accident with Nick Carter flying occurred in 1950.

The wreck of VH-URI languished at the back of the Goroka TAL hangar for many years. Finally around 1958 it was taken to the Goroka Tip and buried.

I don't know why Jack Gray acquired the aircraft, maybe he had plans to rebuild it? He already had two operational DH84 Dragons and one or two more Dragon wrecks in the hangar including VH-AAC which was originally owned by "....HRH The Prince of Wales, who became King Edward VIII prior to his abdication. Based at Hendon, painted red and blue, fitted with red leather upholstery. The aircraft had navigation lights and a new Reid & Sigrist Turn Indicator instrument."

Cloudcutter
19th Sep 2023, 13:24
This thread appears to have gone cold
Sent a message to Ross… no response
Any information re WH Nick Carter
greatly appreciated

tail wheel
19th Sep 2023, 20:48
He won't be able to access his PMs, too few posts. Part of the site anti spam system.

I sent you a PM.

Cloudcutter
19th Sep 2023, 22:33
Thank you
Much appreciated
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1485x1006/6ab37106_fb68_4dd7_8ef0_c564fa3bc057_b4cf869f16565d2b3bb61a7 588386144c03aed44.jpeg
photo of Nick taken 1982..at a Qantas Back to Karachi Party

Dagglethosedunlops
17th Dec 2023, 05:00
This thread appears to have gone cold
Sent a message to Ross… no response
Any information re WH Nick Carter
greatly appreciated

Hi Cloudcutter,
Nick Carter was my uncle. He meet me in 1970 when I was born.
He married my aunty Narelle. He had no children of his own.
My dad's idol and brother in law.
Mum just said today that he was 1st officer on the 1st Jumbo to land in Sydney.
I have some stories . Dad has thousands. WW2 to 1987, but he has passed. Mum's 85 and can remember them all.
The good, The bad & ugly.
We all still talk about him a lot.
Nick was on approach to Honolulu, when he left the intercom on and said to the other flight crew. Daggle those Dunlop's daddo.
One of many statements that he got reprimanded by Qantas management.
As a kid I loved his XU-1 Torana.
You need to talk to mum someday.
Andrew

Ross Richardson
18th Dec 2023, 20:36
Hi Cloudcutter,
Nick Carter was my uncle. He meet me in 1970 when I was born.
He married my aunty Narelle. He had no children of his own.
My dad's idol and brother in law.
Mum just said today that he was 1st officer on the 1st Jumbo to land in Sydney.
I have some stories . Dad has thousands. WW2 to 1987, but he has passed. Mum's 85 and can remember them all.
The good, The bad & ugly.
We all still talk about him a lot.
Nick was on approach to Honolulu, when he left the intercom on and said to the other flight crew. Daggle those Dunlop's daddo.
One of many statements that he got reprimanded by Qantas management.
As a kid I loved his XU-1 Torana.
You need to talk to mum someday.
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Nick was also my Uncle and I have many fond memories of him.
I grew up in Balgowlah Heights just down the road from him. My Mother was Nick’s sister Maureen. Sadly she passed away in 2020.
I remember Nick’s humour and enjoyed playing golf with him at Manly GC.
I have some records and photos of him and would be happy to provide any assistance if needed.
Ross Richardson