PDA

View Full Version : Cenotaph thread without politics

6Z3
10th Nov 2019, 15:58
Thank you for all the crass contributions on the cenotaph thread.

Here is another that should put us all back in our box:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hereford-worcester-50291048/leominster-schoolboy-s-remembrance-poem-praised

camelspyyder
10th Nov 2019, 16:27
Thank you for all the crass contributions on the cenotaph thread.

Here is another that should put us all back in our box:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hereford-worcester-50291048/leominster-schoolboy-s-remembrance-poem-praised

Read it a few weeks ago, brought tears to my eyes.

John Eacott
11th Nov 2019, 03:17
Joshua Dyer (aged 14) was tasked at school to write a poem for Remembrance Day. An hour later (without any help) he produced this.

[One Thousand Men Are Walking

One thousand men are walking
Walking side by side
Singing songs from home
The spirit as their guide
they walk toward the light milord
they walk towards the sun
they smoke and laugh and smile together
no foes to outrun
these men live on forever
in the hearts of those they saved
a nation truly grateful
for the path of peace they paved
they march as friends and comrades
but they do not march for war
step closer to salvation
a tranquil steady corps
the meadows lit with golden beams
a beacon for the brave
the emerald grass untrampled
a reward for what they gave
they dream of those they left behind
and know they dream of them
forever in those poppy fields
there walks one thousand men

Joshua Dyer 2019 (aged 14)

Chugalug2
11th Nov 2019, 07:37
So this thread is not about politics? Those we remember, those for whom the Cenotaph was built in Remembrance of, were 'Marching as to War', and sent there by politicians. We expect those same politicians to show appropriate respect on Remembrance Sunday when laying their wreaths on behalf of the country, the electorate, and their parties. When they turn up looking dishevelled or are inappropriately dressed they attract rightful criticism. That isn't politics, it's the voice of freedom. Shutting down such comment, or even pouring scorn on it, is politics as witnessed by the current prevalence of the offence principle in today's world.

The Nip
11th Nov 2019, 09:49
I would just like to add one thing.

Why can't all those Policticians, dignitaries etc stand at the side of the Cenotaph and pay their respects to all those veterans as they march past?
It appears that once they have carried out their formal task they disappear.

Chugalug2
11th Nov 2019, 11:06
TN, I think the idea is that after the State in the guise of the Sovereign, Political Leaders, Churches and other Faiths, and British Commonwealth and Dependencies representatives, has made its tribute, then it is the turn of its citizens, in the guise of Veteran Organisations, Emergency Services, Voluntary Organisations, Youth Movements, etc. Personally I think that to be wholly appropriate. Welcome as the spontaneous approbation of spectators for the Veterans is, they would be the first to insist that they are not there to be acknowledged but to bear remembrance to the fallen, as epitomised by their eyes left to the Cenotaph as they march past it.

It's a well established routine that is occasionally tweaked (witness the single FO Wreath being replaced this year by individual wreaths laid by representatives of the Overseas Territories, as well as the wreath laid now by the Irish Ambassador). As with all things British, evolution rather than revolution! :ok:

NutLoose
11th Nov 2019, 11:08
I must admit our future Queen in waiting Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, showed a calm and serene dignity throughout the proceedings beside the Queen. The more I see her the more she impresses me.

The Nip
11th Nov 2019, 12:36
TN, I think the idea is that after the State in the guise of the Sovereign, Political Leaders, Churches and other Faiths, and British Commonwealth and Dependencies representatives, has made its tribute, then it is the turn of its citizens, in the guise of Veteran Organisations, Emergency Services, Voluntary Organisations, Youth Movements, etc. Personally I think that to be wholly appropriate. Welcome as the spontaneous approbation of spectators for the Veterans is, they would be the first to insist that they are not there to be acknowledged but to bear remembrance to the fallen, as epitomised by their eyes left to the Cenotaph as they march past it.

It's a well established routine that is occasionally tweaked (witness the single FO Wreath being replaced this year by individual wreaths laid by representatives of the Overseas Territories, as well as the wreath laid now by the Irish Ambassador). As with all things British, evolution rather than revolution! :ok:

I understand your well written post. I just find that some of those MPs are the very people who sent the young men and women off to war. Some of those are now disabled through their service.
I just believe that for those Political leaders etc should show their ongoing respect by standing to the side and waiting for those veterans to walk past etc.
I am not making any political point for any side.
Just my opinion.

NutLoose
11th Nov 2019, 13:17
I concur, a lot of older veterans have made their way to take part in all weathers, it is only right those there in attendance should have the courtesy to aknowledge that, remain and respect them as they march past because if it wasn't for a lot of them, things might have turned out a lot different.. I know how I would feel to have marched past to find everyone that came for the ceremony had sloped off early, that in my eyes is probably one of the more important parts of the event, the march pasts.

Headstone
11th Nov 2019, 14:49
Got to disagree but life would be awful if we all wanted the same things!

Having attended services at the Cenotaph as participant and watcher plus doing the same at local events I do not wish to march past any politicians, whether or not I support their parties. I do not want them on TV smugly basking in any reflected glory as I want them to b*gg*r off and let the vets have their bit. I march in remembrance of my friends and Sqn mates who have been killed in action, peacetime flying, air displays or illnesses/old age. Then of course get involved in the scrum around the Westminster or wherever trying to get a pint and drink their health

I appreciate that some think they should look the marchers in the eye and reflect on what they have done when sending these people to fight in their wars but I personally do not want one of them anywhere near. Seeing a Royal when marching back onto Horse Guards is enough for me. They, especially HMQ, at least know the effects of conflict. Should any politician wish to show their appreciation then why not show it by improving housing, barracks and general quality of life?

Timelord
11th Nov 2019, 15:09
Isn’t the point that they are marching past The Cenotaph. It is the fallen, represented by that monument, that are receiving their salutes, any politician that hangs around dilutes that simple tribute.

Fareastdriver
11th Nov 2019, 16:16
Politicians start wars. Soldiers stop them.

langleybaston
11th Nov 2019, 17:09
I really did not enjoy my contribution being called crass.
I would not dream of returning the insult.

Wander00
11th Nov 2019, 18:40
Just had the privilege with other ex service Brits to be invited to tale part in the Armistice commemoration in Fontenay le Comte, our local town. I had the further privilege of laying the poppy wreath and an Allied Air Forces Memorial wreath in memory particularly of French Halifax crews who flew from Elvington on 346 and 347 Squadrons. We then went for a (very long) most enjoyable lunch with members of the local ex-service peoples' organisation. In all a memorable day.

Cat Techie
17th Nov 2019, 23:29
I took part in column C again this year. I do not care for the politics, I march to remember people i served with and that are no longer here. I do not make political noises at such events (Unlike the parachute regiment association, but they are who they are.) I marched with my Sqn Association and had a great day. Those that wish to bring politics into it can take a walk. Only thing I would say is that our Prime Minister can engage the thought process of listening to what he is asked to do in such occasions and do it. And do his coat up, he looked a mess.

Asturias56
18th Nov 2019, 07:48
Always though tit odd that every political party places a wreath - surely it should be a single wreath on behalf of the House of Commons???

Herod
18th Nov 2019, 09:58
Asturias65. I agree completely. BTW, is there one on behalf of the House of Lords?

Chugalug2
18th Nov 2019, 10:16
Asturias65. I agree completely. BTW, is there one on behalf of the House of Lords?

Yes, it was laid by Lord Fowler, the Lord Speaker.

mmitch
18th Nov 2019, 14:36
A member of the Royal family takes the salute as the veterans column returns to Horse Guards,
mmitch.

Union Jack
18th Nov 2019, 15:32
A member of the Royal family takes the salute as the veterans column returns to Horse Guards,
mmitch.

Namely one who seems to have monopolised today's front pages, as attached https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

Jack