PDA

View Full Version : Ukrainian B737 catches fire shortly after parking at Egypt’s Sharm el Sheikh

D-OCHO
10th Nov 2019, 14:04
Only english verion I could find.

Ukrainian plane catches fire shortly after landing in Egypt?s Sharm el Sheikh - Al Arabiya English (http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety/2019/11/10/Ukrainian-plane-catches-fire-shortly-after-landing-in-Egypt-s-Sharm-el-Sheikh.html)

Drc40
10th Nov 2019, 19:07
“Airport maintenance staff rushed to the plane”

Is it just me because I didn’t see anyone “rush” to the plane when emergency vehicles were obviously on the scene when the gear was clearly on fire. Maybe I’m being to harsh but IMHO it took too long for them to put that fire out.

The Bartender
10th Nov 2019, 19:19
“Airport maintenance staff rushed to the plane”

Is it just me because I didn’t see anyone “rush” to the plane when emergency vehicles were obviously on the scene when the gear was clearly on fire. Maybe I’m being to harsh but IMHO it took too long for them to put that fire out.

What emergency vehicles? Ground staff appears to be waiting for the engine to be shut down before approaching.

Approaching the overheated gear from the side seem a bit bold though...

Australopithecus
10th Nov 2019, 19:21
There was no quid pro foam.

FullWings
10th Nov 2019, 20:19
Don't see any RFFS vehicles; just normal turnround stuff. Given that they appeared only to have portable extinguishers, I thought they did quite well.
Ditto. I don’t think I would be quite so brave as to rush towards a set of wheels that had been on fire for some time and attempt to put them out. Yes, there are fusible plugs but I wouldn’t want to trust my life to them. At least they went in from the side which is meant to be the safest way of doing it and used a compatible type of extinguisher...

Dct_Mopas
10th Nov 2019, 20:38
At least they went in from the side which is meant to be the safest way of doing it and used a compatible type of extinguisher...

Not so unfortunately, all RFFS crews will approach from the fore or aft of the tyre. Never from the side in line with the wheel axle. From the fore and aft a chance of being hit by tyre debris, from the side a risk of being hit by debris from the metal rim which is alot more dangerous.

The Bartender
10th Nov 2019, 20:48
At least they went in from the side which is meant to be the safest way of doing it and used a compatible type of extinguisher...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1557x1297/8oqdi_ed151ddfabee64584eef64c75e744f4e5f79541f.png

FullWings
10th Nov 2019, 21:11
Very interesting! So oblique angle it is! (Not that I’m going to put it to the test...)

rog747
16th Nov 2019, 14:35
The aircraft was following the ''follow me'' van onto a remote stand at SSH where 2 steps and a coach were waiting.
Once fire was seen and had taken some hold the ground ramp guys grabbed a few portable Fire/E then dashed over and had a go at it themselves - the fire out was out within 60 seconds after it had started...
well done I say...

Loose rivets
17th Nov 2019, 00:54
What probable work would have to be done before the aircraft was ready for service again?

rog747
17th Nov 2019, 05:07
Further to my post above -

From FlightGlobal - LooseRivets

Egypt's civil aviation ministry is praising ground personnel for quickly reacting to a landing-gear fire which broke out on a SkyUp Airlines Boeing 737-800 at Sharm el-Sheikh.
The aircraft (UR-SQH), operating flight PQ7153 from Zaporizhia on 9 November, had turned into its parking bay after landing when, shortly after it stopped, flames erupted on the left-hand main gear.
SkyUp says the flight had not experienced any problems en route. It says the fire was detected during parking and was "quickly extinguished" by airport ground staff "without the use of special equipment".
None of the 189 passengers and seven crew members was injured.
Surveillance video of the incident shows ramp workers fetching fire-extinguishers from ground-support vehicles standing by to receive the aircraft, and appearing to tackle the blaze within 1 min of its starting.
There is no immediate indication of evacuation from the surveillance video, and the airline has not clarified when the passengers left the aircraft.
The Egyptian civil aviation ministry says the fire "could have turned into a disaster" but states that staff from Egypt Air Ground Services dealt "professionally" with the fire, preventing its spreading to other parts of the aircraft.
It attributes the fire to a leak of hydraulic oil. SkyUp says Egypt Air engineers inspected the aircraft and that it will undergo replacement of its wheel assembly and brakes.
The 737-800 involved is a 2004 airframe, managed by Air Lease and introduced by SkyUp earlier this year.

lomapaseo
17th Nov 2019, 12:32
I never caught on why the fire in the first place.

No mention of emergency braking. Was it a hydraulic leak on typically hot brakes or something else?

rog747
17th Nov 2019, 13:30
I never caught on why the fire in the first place.

No mention of emergency braking. Was it a hydraulic leak on typically hot brakes or something else?

Please see post above yours - latest into