PDA

View Full Version : Rex still at loggerheads with Dubbo

YPJT
7th Nov 2019, 11:16
First it was the screening issue, which they lost in the Supreme Court. No they have resorted to letterbox drops to try and turn the townsfolk against the council.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-07/tensions-between-rex-airlines-dubbo-council-hit-new-highs/11682130

The name is Porter
7th Nov 2019, 11:38
Well go on, pull out then, don't just talk **** about it.

Paragraph377
7th Nov 2019, 11:48
Just another low-blow in the ongoing airlines vs airports saga.

Rex management are arrogant and obtuse and expect no airport to increase its fees ever! On the other hand, Dubbo Council are a bunch of rednecks and an increase of 13% in one hit was always going to be a ‘declaration of war’.

Sadly the divide between airlines and airports is becoming greater as each industry becomes greedier and more hungry for profits at the others expense. Stage show foolery such as Joyce and Scurrah teaming up to declare war on airport fees doesn’t help, and neither does the AAA’s Caroline Wilkie lobbying **** grenades into the mix right before she bails from the AAA before the war really gets nasty. Things are only going to get uglier.

wheels_down
7th Nov 2019, 12:09
I don’t think sitting quiet and saying nothing is productive either.

Woolworths and Coles recently had the largest supplier of pet food increase cost prices by a similar questionable number overnight. In return they cut off 95% of supply instantly. Took a few months to sort out and the end result after much to and from, was a better offer favorable to the retailers compared to the initial offer of accepting the price rises and losing market share to Aldi.

Airlines should do the same. Cut them off. I’ve not seen much action from anyone yet. Ryanair are very good at this. They literally close down bases and quit airports every season, and publicly shoot them down when they get hit with double digit cost increases.

transition_alt
7th Nov 2019, 21:46
I’m really getting sick of Rex crying poor every time an airport wants to increase its fees.

They spit the dummy all the time and management act like children.
Mount Gambier, Mildura, King Island to only name a few.

Why can’t they have civil discussions to council like any other business instead of these aggressive media releases that are constantly put out. They are nothing but bullies.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be fighting for what they are. But there are so many better ways to go about it.

I think its it’s about time they get some proper management and make it a much more respected company. So many great things can be done at Rex, but it’s dragged down by the current management and board and will never reach its full potential until then...

The name is Porter
8th Nov 2019, 01:26
What is it? $1.99 per passenger we're talking about? I would quite happily pay Rex 10 bucks extra per ticket to strip the interior of their aircraft and put some sound deadening on the hull. Just looking at their ticket prices to and from Dubbo, $1.99 extra is going to empty their aircraft?

I would like to thank Rex for paying extra so the dunnies are useable and someday the locals may get a jet experience, oh hang on, it's not you paying the $1.99 extra? It's the passengers?

Sunfish
9th Nov 2019, 00:27
This is why airlines should be re-regulated. Air travel is no longer a luxury choice but an essential public service.

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2019, 05:08
This is why airlines should be re-regulated.

In NSW many of the routes are regulated. If councils want good fares and services they need to provide the airport not as a profit centre but as an essential service. I don't see toll gates on main roads in towns or user pays at swimming pools or parks...

Lead Balloon
9th Nov 2019, 06:31
Sunfish meant: This is why essential airport infrastructure should be re-nationalised (and some semblance of competence on airport infrastructure management be restored to the Federal bureaucracy).

rodney rude
9th Nov 2019, 06:54
Transition

Have they had discussions with Dubbo council??? Were they civil or aggressive??? Not taking sides here, I'm just suggesting that maybe you have no idea at all of what discussions have occurred, over what period, how many times, and what was the tone and mood of these discussions. I suspect you've just read an aggressive media release, as you call it, and decided that it was Rex's first swing. Maybe they've been in the ring for a long time and have now had a gut full. And any businessman will tell you that a 13% increase in overheads is a big swipe in one go and can greatly affect profitability and viability. Or on the other side, maybe Dubbo council has sustained high overheads at their own expense for too long and have finally had to make a decision they really didn't want to make. Just saying there's always two sides to a story and your swipe at Rex, whom I do not work for, may be very ill informed.

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2019, 22:00
Sunfish meant: This is why essential airport infrastructure should be re-nationalised (and some semblance of competence on airport infrastructure management be restored to the Federal bureaucracy).

Why then did he say airlines>>? Can't he speak for himself?

machtuk
10th Nov 2019, 04:19
Put the car rego up 13% in one hit then watch all the whingers in here hit the roof! ALL councils are grubby parasites!

The name is Porter
10th Nov 2019, 05:49
Put the car rego up 13% in one hit then watch all the whingers in here hit the roof! ALL councils are grubby parasites!

It's gone up by that on different occasions, and yes the whinging is rife, but that's very Australian isn't it? User pays is here to stay because AUSTRALIANS WHINGE about it but do nothing.

The Australian taxpayer owned Dubbo airport until it was 'sold' to the Dubbo Council. Riddle me that.

But anyway, Rex, stop whinging like a little child, put your money where your mouth is and leave. It's obvious that's the only course of action that will work.

TBM-Legend
10th Nov 2019, 09:59
Have a look at the failed JetGo report and you'll see where millions given or lost by the gurus at councils. The airports represent about 1-2% of the roads etc in most of these council areas and should be treated like that. I don't see the town swimming pools charging based on cost etc nor a toll for "out of towners" and big trucks and buses to be hit for the wear and tear and damage on the roads. The issue with airports which do received Federal and State grants from time to time is that they can identify each aircraft and each pax whereas on the roads not so.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
10th Nov 2019, 12:38
The airports represent about 1-2% of the roads etc in most of these council areas and should be treated like that
Have you seen the condition of most small council roads?

MagnumPI
10th Nov 2019, 23:56
Last time I went to Dubbo I flew in a 172. I went into the terminal to go get a coffee, and there were, I **** you not, five security staff standing at the bag scanner which wasn't even turned on. There were no flights scheduled to arrive/depart for another three hours. The machine wasn't even turned on!

If this inefficiency and complete waste of labour is how they run the airport generally no wonder they've had to hike their fees so much.