PDA

View Full Version : Career First Officer only question i.e. no fATPL

covec
6th Nov 2019, 21:05
Good evening.

"Would a Regional airline accept a potential Career First Officer?" NB The UK CAA are quite happy & I have this in writing.

For various reasons I now have a current EASA CPL/IR but not a fATPL: if I wish to become a Captain then I would have to do 15 of the 16 ATPL exams. Not a feasible option - I'd rather not say why as it would probably identify me.

I have "an opportunity" coming up soon and have been advised by colleagues already with the company to say nothing about having previously demonstrated ATPL TK, but having to "re-prove it" if I wish to become a Captain. My mind is turning to the interview and (thinking positively) any future induction paperwork. Note that I am avoiding using the phrase "lapsed" - that is not actually accurate. Again, the UK CAA have told me this.

Moderators: should I post this in Terms & Endearments, maybe?

All the very best, folks.

Mustapha Cuppa
6th Nov 2019, 21:37
I'm struggling to understand your situation. Have you passed the theoretical knowledge exams at ATPL level or not?

if the answer is negative, and assuming you considering flying a multi pilot aeroplane, you may wish to check out FCL.740.A(d)(3).

rudestuff
7th Nov 2019, 04:28
I don't see why they wouldn't take a career FO. Unless the Airline in question requires an ATPL. You only need valid ATPL exams to get an ATPL. You need to have done them but they don't need to be valid for the issue of a first multi pilot type rating. So as long as you've already got/had a multi pilot type rating you're ok.

parkfell
7th Nov 2019, 06:43
I'm struggling to understand your situation. Have you passed the theoretical knowledge exams at ATPL level or not?

if the answer is negative, and assuming you considering flying a multi pilot aeroplane, you may wish to check out FCL.740.A(d)(3).

I think the ATPL writtens were successfully completed under the CAA UK reign and expired?
Had all aspects been continuously up to date & valid within the time rules, this 57 years old pilot would hold a valid fATPL under what is now EASA.

Reading previous posts gives a favour of the slightly tricky situation now presenting.

covec
8th Nov 2019, 13:43
Hi folks.

Thank you for all your replies. Opportunity closed regrettably.

IR lapsed >7 years. Did the 5 IR exams - current CPL holder. Renewed SP ME IR. UK CAA say that your ATPL TK does NOT lapse. It is the IR that lapses. You have previously proved ATPL TK. If you want to be a Captain, then yes, you have to do the ATPLs again (bar VFR Comms).

However, HR may view things differently. Been advised to keep shtum. I will.