PDA

View Full Version : RAF Desert Issue CSW Survival Waistcoat...

TonkaMick
6th Nov 2019, 20:40
Hi, I’m looking for some advice... I have an ex Lossie Tornado RFD Beaufort Desert CSW Survival Waistcoat dated 2006, which I would like to try and populate the many pockets with the items that would have been carried in service, wondered if anyone would happen to know what survival items etc would typically have been carried on Desert Ops please?

Many thanks in advance!

Mick

Stitchbitch
7th Nov 2019, 06:41
Hi, I’m looking for some advice... I have an ex Lossie Tornado RFD Beaufort Desert CSW Survival Waistcoat dated 2006, which I would like to try and populate the many pockets with the items that would have been carried in service, wondered if anyone would happen to know what survival items etc would typically have been carried on Desert Ops please?

Many thanks in advance!

Mick

Not sure about T’nado but on Harrier it was lots of water..and some ‘other useful items’ to help in protection, location, water, food and recovery.

Tankertrashnav
7th Nov 2019, 11:23
In earlier times there was a "goolie chit" which had a message in Arabic and other languages which promised the rescuer a sum in gold, as long as the survivor was returned in good health with said items intact!. Not sure if they were still current by 2006.

oldmansquipper
7th Nov 2019, 13:04
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Aerospace-Company/Royal-Air-Force-Survival-Equipment-squipper-Association-1610761655821113/

a wealth of knowledge here...

frodo_monkey
7th Nov 2019, 14:13
In earlier times there was a "goolie chit" which had a message in Arabic and other languages which promised the rescuer a sum in gold, as long as the survivor was returned in good health with said items intact!. Not sure if they were still current by 2006.

Still current a couple of years ago when I last flew, but carried on the person not in the LSJ or CSW...

Fareastdriver
7th Nov 2019, 15:22
At El Adem many years ago a lifejacket with a SARAH (SARBE predecessor) was nicked. They launched a Sycamore and Bingo; up came the beacon. They homed on to it and found an Arab in his tent trying to tune it in to Radio Cairo.

alwayslookingup
7th Nov 2019, 18:04
At El Adem many years ago a lifejacket with a SARAH (SARBE predecessor) was nicked. They launched a Sycamore and Bingo; up came the beacon. They homed on to it and found an Arab in his tent trying to tune it in to Radio Cairo.

I've seen at least one Nimrod overflying Aberdeen Harbour area when someone's accidentally tripped a SAR beacon on a fishing boat or offshore supply vessel. A few years ago, though.

Pontius Navigator
7th Nov 2019, 21:00
Not quite. I have one in the garage (too cold and wet to check) but I can assure you that there was no mention of gold. The English but was actually quite worrying ". . . You will be adequately compensated"

As one way out it, would have preferred lavishly .

I will count up the number of languages.

Easy Street
7th Nov 2019, 23:31

Many thanks in advance!

Mick

If you can get your hands on one of these (https://gdmissionsystems.com/en/products/communications/radios/combat-search-and-rescue-radios/hook2-prc-112g-transceiver) (good luck!) and a spare battery, and fill the rest of the pockets with water sachets then you’ll be pretty close.

AnglianAV8R
8th Nov 2019, 10:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

Sorted :ok:

nonsense
8th Nov 2019, 11:37

Wireless for the Warrior - Gibson Girl ASR page 3 (http://www.wftw.nl/asr3.html)

Cornish Jack
8th Nov 2019, 17:51
Still have my 'goolie chit' from Aden in the 50s. The inducement to return you was in Maria Theresa Thalars (dollars, all silver and all SAME DATE!) Not immediately to hand, so can't remember amount but the opposition. supposedly. were offering double the amount - dead or alive! On the plus side, it was nice to be wanted!

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2019, 00:02
Watching a programme about the making of Dr Strangelove the other night. Originally Slim Pickens says "Shoot, a feller could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with that stuff". Kennedy was assassinated after the film was completed, but there was time for Pickens to dub the original line and change Dallas to Vegas.

TonkaMick
10th Nov 2019, 21:07
Many thanks to you all, some very helpful info and great to hear of all the interesting past experiences!

Cheers,

Mick

Union Jack
11th Nov 2019, 10:27
Not quite. I have one in the garage (too cold and wet to check) but I can assure you that there was no mention of gold. The English but was actually quite worrying ". . . You will be adequately compensated"

As one way out it, would have preferred lavishly .

I will count up the number of languages.

The English is indeed "quite worrying"....:ok:

Jack