PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 Hold Pool

Pages : [1] 2 3

jetblast101
6th Nov 2019, 07:27
Hi All,

I'm trying to gauge the waiting time in the jet2 hold pool. Has anyone recently been offered a job after a wait in the pool? If so, how long did you wait and are you type rated or non-type rated?

thanks!

OMAAbound
6th Nov 2019, 23:16
Over the last 2 years I’ve had a few friends Join.

NR/DEC - 7/8 month for 737

FO’s both TR & NTR 4-6 months,

Only person I know who joined any quicker was an 757 rated FO who worked is 3 month period and joined them a week later, this was 18-24 months ago, maybe slightly longer.

Good Luck

bigdaviet
7th Nov 2019, 06:54
Are there many Non Type Rated Captains in the hold pool?

Daily Dalaman Dave
7th Nov 2019, 15:05
As I’m sure you’re probably aware, these aren’t normal times. Unprecedented expansion/opportunity/recruitment/availability of new suitably qualified applicants, means that I’d suggest any historic experiences are pretty much irrelevant I’m afraid.

I say afraid but actually I think all of the above mean that most won’t be swimming for long.

Cpt.Jason
8th Nov 2019, 05:05
NTR FO swimming now more than 6 months....

CEJM
12th Nov 2019, 18:11
Airbus recruitment now open.

fly4more
13th Nov 2019, 16:31
4 months in the pool. NTR CAP.

Ex colleague and ex Thomas Cook already has a start date. He happened to know his sim assessor from the RAF.

So , as ever, its down to luck and politics and connections.

Johnny F@rt Pants
13th Nov 2019, 17:53
As one of the assessors (and it wasn’t me:=), I can assure you that we have absolutely zero influence on who gets chosen when, it is as much a mystery to us as the rest of you.

macdo
13th Nov 2019, 21:49
Try starting December, to be totally accurate.
Actually, to correct myself, try already started.

BehindBlueEyes
23rd Nov 2019, 19:00
Any update on TR FO 737NG waiting times? 2000 hrs. Is there any demand at all?

bigdaviet
27th Nov 2019, 07:22
Anybody know what are the chances of non type rated DEC recruitment opening next year?

MrZed
6th Dec 2019, 18:08
NTR FO with 1000 hours completed the assessment in July - still swimming.

From what I'm led to believe from chatting to various pilots at Jet 2 & from other airlines Thomas Cook pilots have been given priority - especially with the fact jet 2 have taken on some of the ex Thomas Cook Airbus fleet (makes sense IMO as we already have jobs). Furthermore, with the acquisition of additional AC / routes etc they'll need to reassess where they need aircraft and crew i.e your base preference and experience will be a factor in when you get a call for a start date.

I also recieved communication from another airline saying that an interview that I applied to prior to Jet 2 has been pushed back as I am NTR and not available for immediate start.

However I do know a few 737 TR guys who have interviewed after myself and been given start dates early 2020.

Best of luck to anyone who is swimming / going for the assessment.

BehindBlueEyes
7th Dec 2019, 09:16
Out of interest, generally how long did Jet2 take to get back with a yay or nay after online application?

Mr Good Cat
7th Dec 2019, 11:24
Anybody know what are the chances of non type rated DEC recruitment opening next year?

Non-TR DEC is always open. Just apply. If you pass the interview you're in the pool, which is emptied based on several factors. You may wait longer in the pool then a TR'd candidate and also based on your preference of base location.

MrZed
11th Dec 2019, 08:15
Within a week for myself. The whole process happened very quickly, within 3 weeks the entire process including online tests, interview and sim were completed.

Mr Good Cat hits the nail on the head.

ppiilloott
11th Dec 2019, 10:47
Can anyone please enlighten me. For an Airbus Type rated pilot coming for an assessment for airbus position, will it be tailored as such? Will it be standard sim in 737 or do they have access to an Airbus sim for the assessment?

Twiglet1
11th Dec 2019, 10:47
My experience of "pools" is that Captains (in employment) will swim whereas FO's won't wait long and jump out to other offers if they don't hear sometime soon.

Johnny F@rt Pants
11th Dec 2019, 12:21
Will it be standard sim in 737

To date, all recruitment sims, whether for Airbus, B737, or B757 have been conducted in the B737-300 simulator.

ppiilloott
11th Dec 2019, 14:47
Thanks for the reply Johnny.

Greatly appreciated.

Black Pudding
12th Dec 2019, 00:10
Hello Jonny

Any ideas of any place in the UK where one can hire a 737-300 motion sim for practice

Reversethrustset
12th Dec 2019, 12:37
Ditto, so did i

Johnny F@rt Pants
12th Dec 2019, 17:20
Since when

Since the last few months, the B757 is now never utilised for recruitment sims, and the 800’s are usually too busy, so for the last few months the recruitment sims have been exclusively 737-300.

banterbus
23rd Dec 2019, 10:38
Lower amounts of forecast attrition have lead to an increase in the time/size of the hold pool is my understanding. Not sure how it works wrt start dates, I think as usual an element of luck and timing involved as I started 3 months after my assessment (NTR FO).

Black Pudding
25th Dec 2019, 09:04
Has anyone done the sim assessment in the last few weeks that could PM e-mail me the sim profile, details etc and what is asked of in the sim assessment. I have an assessment in January and want to get some practise in. They’ve not sent me the details yet and I think are on leave until the new year. Please PM me and I’ll send you my e-mail address, thank you.

BehindBlueEyes
29th Dec 2019, 22:16
Latest announcement re B737 recruitment.

https://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Jet2.com

Black Pudding
30th Dec 2019, 10:18
From a friend who works there, the 737 recruitment ceased is only temporary, not permanent.

Johnny F@rt Pants
30th Dec 2019, 11:06
Correct, it is suspended as the attrition rate is very low, therefore less recruitment than originally planned is required.:ok:

MrZed
8th Jan 2020, 09:05
Does anyone have an idea of how many people are actually in the hold pool? Spoken to various people since my previous post and some have been in the pool since February - seems a long time?

Johnny F@rt Pants
8th Jan 2020, 15:22
I don’t know the answer to your question about how many are in the hold pool.

some people stay in the hold pool longer than others. The people in the hold pool will have been graded from their assessment day and their sim check, they will then be cherry picked from that, as well as their preferences, so if someone put that they only wanted an BHX or EMA base and someone else put any base, the one that had any base would be called prior to the one that was more restrictive if a GLA base came up.

Cpt.Jason
9th Jan 2020, 08:22
This is not true

I've been swimming for more than 9 months, FO ntr, fully available to ANY base, after 8 months I moved to TUI and now I dont regret about my move

Black Pudding
9th Jan 2020, 16:32
From a reliable source

The Boeing adverts will shortly taken off their website. All those who are currently in the pool will stay in the pool and will not be forgotten. They will be called eventually. Boeing recruitment is only on hold at the moment due to large number in the pool plus little attrition of pilots.

Good luck everyone

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Jan 2020, 14:27
I’m very pleased you have a job, however perhaps you missed the first element of my reply regarding how people are fished out of the holding pool, maybe your assessment didn’t make you shine?

Mr Good Cat
10th Jan 2020, 15:53
Technically, interviewing hasn’t stopped yet for non-A321 pilots. There’s still a few Boeing guys going through the interview and also experienced non-rated DECs.

I guess things will get back to normal once all the Bus positions are filled and the hold pool will continue to be built up and cherry picked.

MrZed
25th May 2021, 16:13
This is wishful thinking but I'm curious if anyone has been fortunate enough to gain any insight (If there is any) to the phased return to flying within Jet 2, and whether or not that includes taking anyone within the hold pool?

I've been in the pool since July 2019 (NTR FO) but the last correspondence I received was March 2020. I'm sure Jet 2 have bigger concerns but just curious if anyone had heard anything 😃

rotorwills
25th May 2021, 17:33
Given that most of crew are on furlough they may not have lost many pilots. I would think that given the state of were we are at this present time the likely trawl of a holding pool is very unlikely.

it's just the way things are at the moment. There was I believe some noise about them taking on a apprentice intake, not sure if it was confirmed by anyone.

I hope Jet2 get back into the saddle and start their flying schedules soonest but can't imagine much movement on intake from the pool.

macdo
26th May 2021, 14:54
MrZed

By coincidence, I spoke to someone this morning who is very high on the list of those likely to be taken back. Nothing happening just now.

FredFlintstone
26th May 2021, 16:23
Some cadet pilots being trained by Ryanair in the U.K. this year, final destination unknown I am told, all very questionable no doubt, but if you are desperate enough might be better trying there. I’d make sure you have the right to live and work in the eastern extremes of Europe though and can live off a salary paid in goats.
Make sure you join a union if you do!

sdbelgium
29th May 2021, 10:42
rotorwills

Some apprentices have been recalled this week.

rotorwills
29th May 2021, 20:17
Well that's really good news for all.

ford cortina
3rd Jun 2021, 14:17
and with the UK's current stance on travel, it looks like there will be more joining them

PAPI-74
20th Nov 2021, 09:43
How's the temperature in the pool?
Any movement for you guys?

black diamond
11th Dec 2021, 10:00
Good for some FOs Boeing fleets
not for others - the rest

maxpeck
5th Mar 2022, 18:17
Any chance of them recruiting again? Would love to get back home before they move to flying Airbus.

Long shot, but you never know.

PAPI-74
5th Mar 2022, 20:17
I'm counting the days when they need Airbus DEC.

CW247
6th Mar 2022, 00:05
The whole of Lauda Air is :E

Alrosa
6th Mar 2022, 10:49
Is there likely to be any external FO B737 recruitment this year ?

annakm
7th Mar 2022, 11:52
Is there likely to be any external FO B737 recruitment this year ?

Same question here. I see Jet2 are actively recruiting CC for Bristol so wondering if there’s any expansion going on there?

MrZed
7th Mar 2022, 18:13
Howdy Folks - I hope everyone reading this is doing well :)

I have been hearing rumours of people being plucked from this mysterious, and elusive hold / talent pool. Still swimming since the summer of 2019 as a NTR FO just over 1000 hours. If there are any Jet 2 flight deck close to the recruitment process that would be happy to share any insight publically or privately it would be much appreciated ...

Whitemonk Returns
9th Mar 2022, 20:15
I would expect recruitment mid summer for late 2022/early 2023 start dates. People are still coming back who haven't flown in 2 years, Omicron probably stuffed recruitment for this summer season as we still have people with no line training scheduled up to May and the planning was for all training to be complete pre summer season and they are running behind by at least 3 months.

The good news is it is busy, flights are nearly full and the summer is expected to be massive for the company. They are pushing to get all eligible internal upgrades complete ASAP prior to externals coming in, I believe nearly 60 internal commands have been completed in the last few months which is always good to see.

santacruz
12th Mar 2022, 04:55
Thats great news. Any non type rated DEC recruitment likely?

Whitemonk Returns
12th Mar 2022, 06:33
Thats great news. Any non type rated DEC recruitment likely?

In a word, yes. Obviously 737 or A320 rated will have an advantage but the company will have no problem running TRs once the COVID backlog is sorted through by the end of the year.

Also for those interested, 4% payrise announced yesterday with an additional 1% subject to a good summer. Those in the company 12 months will be eligible again for the profit share bonus in July 2023 and a sharesave scheme to be developed.

maxpeck
12th Mar 2022, 07:34
DEFO as well?

standardbrief
11th Apr 2022, 10:33
Anyone know what the situation is with Jet2´s ALC base? not sure how brexit will affect.

Toastal
13th Apr 2022, 08:50
Could someone answer a couple of questions please:: what are the details of the current company pension scheme? Are the A321 NEOs a complete fleet replacement or part of that and part expansion? Where will the 321s be based initially and is there a plan to roll them out to the majority of bases going forward? Many thanks in advance T

Whitemonk Returns
14th Apr 2022, 19:40
Could someone answer a couple of questions please:: what are the details of the current company pension scheme? Are the A321 NEOs a complete fleet replacement or part of that and part expansion? Where will the 321s be based initially and is there a plan to roll them out to the majority of bases going forward? Many thanks in advance T

10% for CPT, 8% for FOs

A321s are not a like for like fleet replacement but they obviously replace the capacity of the 757 when that does eventually retire in the coming years. But there are 70+ on order and currently only 8 x 757s so its not a significant factor. One would imagine A330s will be inevitable at some point but that is a never ending rumor with no current substance, in the next three years I'd say no, in the next 5 - 10 I would say almost certainly.

Initially the new aircraft will go to MAN and BHX but with so many on order they will end up everywhere. Hope that helps

RMP2
14th Apr 2022, 19:52
I see Jet2 is advertising for SFI on the A321; do you have any idea of the payscale for that position?
thanks

BaronVonBarnstormer
19th Apr 2022, 08:54
Any indication of a typical time to command in the past?

Johnny F@rt Pants
19th Apr 2022, 16:36
Any indication of a typical time to command in the past?

It will depend on your starting point, 200 hours as a cadet, 1000 hours, 5000 hours, etc etc

It can be anything from less than a year to never dependent on your ability/aptitude, there’s no seniority.

MINself
29th Apr 2022, 09:25
To be slightly more helpful…. Average SFO hours per year, pandemic, base and type dependant, etc, but, plan on 500hrs-ish a year, it’s 3000hrs+ Before you can apply to the lengthy and opaque command process, which depending on your relationship with management, may be a few months or years. So, after passing 3000hrs you may find yourself on a command assessment, but as there’s no seniority system as stated, so, it’s down to variables, some unknown and unclear when you might be given the nod from management to start the upgrade process, the process is improving, so they keep saying!

kiwifan
26th May 2022, 12:50
Hi team…..new here! Please be gentle.

I have been in the non TR (ex mil) pool since feb 20. Was offered a spot on the last TR course but couldn’t make it in time.

As recruitment is about to open up again for summer 23 does anybody know how this will affect those still in the pool? Start again? Continue to wait patiently? Re-interview only? Sim assessment? Surely all this costs the company money so hopefully they will just call us forward for the next TR courses with a bit of notice.

Any sensible feedback appreciated.

Thanks

excrab
27th May 2022, 01:40
Only sensible feedback is that if you got as far as being offered a place and turning it down you must have at least one contact in HR, so email them or call them and ask the question.

Whitemonk Returns
27th May 2022, 07:12
Hi team…..new here! Please be gentle.

I have been in the non TR (ex mil) pool since feb 20. Was offered a spot on the last TR course but couldn’t make it in time.

As recruitment is about to open up again for summer 23 does anybody know how this will affect those still in the pool? Start again? Continue to wait patiently? Re-interview only? Sim assessment? Surely all this costs the company money so hopefully they will just call us forward for the next TR courses with a bit of notice.

Any sensible feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Two years in a hold pool and then you turn down a TR course... Baffling to be honest.

Anyway, starting next month 100 ish pilots to be recruited for 23 a cross all three fleets to varying degrees, TR courses every month going forward. The big stickler is you must have a UK licence to be offered a contract so if you are interested you need to get the ball rolling now.

kiwifan
27th May 2022, 08:07
Thanks.…..I couldn’t be released from current company due to contract agreement! Trust me…..I tried! I did say be gentle! Lol

AIMINGHIGH123
27th May 2022, 08:26
Out of interest. Did J2 give a pay rise this year?

kiwifan
27th May 2022, 08:55
Only sensible feedback is that if you got as far as being offered a place and turning it down you must have at least one contact in HR, so email them or call them and ask the question.

Thank you excrab. Will do.

santacruz
27th May 2022, 10:27
Sounds promising! Non rated recruitment also likely then?

Whitemonk Returns
27th May 2022, 11:35
Out of interest. Did J2 give a pay rise this year?

4% plus 1% TBC after summer season goes well, Cabin crew beat us with some of the lower ranks getting 7% but assuming we turn a profit this year the profit share reinstated for next July would likely be 5 figures for a Captain

And yes there will be both TR and non rated recruitment, best of luck to all 👍

ScouseGeordie
28th May 2022, 11:09
yes all pilots got a payrise this year

Well, if you can call 4% a payrise with inflation running in double figures - a real-world pay cut in reality.

AIMINGHIGH123
28th May 2022, 12:48
Well, if you can call 4% a payrise with inflation running in double figures - a real-world pay cut in reality.

True but UK is going to be tough the next 5 years. Not just aviation related. No one I know has received a 10% or more pay rise from any industry.

hans brinker
28th May 2022, 16:16

We really need to call it a (partial) COLA/rate adjustment or inflation correction. Calling it a pay raise suggests I can buy more. Asking for a raise sounds greedy right now. Wanting to be able to pay your bills doesn't.

Albert Hall
28th May 2022, 18:47
After the last two years, I suspect most professional aviators would be grateful for a 4% rise with a possibility of more. The sense of entitlement in Jet2 from many of a cadre who joined from another defunct UK airline is unreal.

rotorwills
29th May 2022, 10:17
It's not going to be easy for Jet2 in the coming year or so. I am at the top of my profession and earning a salary which many would say is exceptional in todays world. Yet whilst in the last have used Jet2 for holiday flights on so so many times looking at their pricing now gets me rethinking about holidays. Now if that's me, what are the people who are not earning anywhere close to me thinking. With the UK inflation eating into what cash many have available it's not a good sign for holiday type aviation companies. I know people will always level that holidays will continue but at what level. Pilots aren't paid in general enough for the job they do, with sone very small exceptions, however to increase salaries at this time for some airlines will lead to problems no doubts.

Looks like the likes of Ryan will just expand as they seem to be operating in a very prudent manner. Zero hour contracts etc.

Can see Mr. O'Leary rubbing his hands together .

excrab
29th May 2022, 17:01
It's not going to be easy for Jet2 in the coming year or so. I am at the top of my profession and earning a salary which many would say is exceptional in todays world. Yet whilst in the last have used Jet2 for holiday flights on so so many times looking at their pricing now gets me rethinking about holidays. Now if that's me, what are the people who are not earning anywhere close to me thinking. With the UK inflation eating into what cash many have available it's not a good sign for holiday type aviation companies. I know people will always level that holidays will continue but at what level. Pilots aren't paid in general enough for the job they do, with sone very small exceptions, however to increase salaries at this time for some airlines will lead to problems no doubts.

Looks like the likes of Ryan will just expand as they seem to be operating in a very prudent manner. Zero hour contracts etc.

Can see Mr. O'Leary rubbing his hands together .

If you want to come on a professional pilots message board and suggest that Ryan air are better than Jet2 because their staff are on zero hour contracts I’m afraid I have no interest in your opinion, however enormous your salary might be. Whatever your job is it’s a pity you’re not also on a zero hour contract. They shouldn’t exist, in Aviation or any other business.

Alrosa
29th May 2022, 17:32
I think the fact that another U.K. airline has announced plans for imminent recruitment of pilots, both TR and non-TR is a good news story - especially after the last 18 months, and now that Brexit has locked out most U.K. pilots from any jobs in the EU.

TUI UK were also recruiting recently, albeit for temporary summer contracts; Ryanair actively recruiting. Appreciate some of these companies may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I for one am relieved to see some recruitment activity taking place. Even BA are steadily calling back people in their priority return pool.

A320LGW
29th May 2022, 22:52
I am seeing lots of people posting on LinkedIn they have gotten jobs with Jet2, some only having left flight school in the past year. How is this so when there has been no recruitment since early 2020? Have I missed something?

santacruz
29th May 2022, 23:15
I think the fact that another U.K. airline has announced plans for imminent recruitment of pilots, both TR and non-TR is a good news story - especially after the last 18 months, and now that Brexit has locked out most U.K. pilots from any jobs in the EU.

TUI UK were also recruiting recently, albeit for temporary summer contracts; Ryanair actively recruiting. Appreciate some of these companies may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I for one am relieved to see some recruitment activity taking place. Even BA are steadily calling back people in their priority return pool.

which UK Airline?

AIMINGHIGH123
29th May 2022, 23:27
Aviation is certainly picking up fast. LinkedIn as someone else said has seen a flurry of people posting they are flying again. Almost daily I see old colleagues getting jobs.

Retirements are still happening plus from my former outfit which went under I estimate 20% at least will never fly again. Other carriers I have seen on LinkedIn people have moved to other careers as well. Not many but some I never would have suspected.

Jet2 will be fine. I know a fair few who have holidays booked with them or have been and will be going again. People still want holidays, 2020 obviously a right off. 2021 was mixed with only higher earners travelling or people willing to go through the hassle of tests before travelling. 2022 from friends I know everyone is itching to get away or already been.

Let’s face it the UK is a crap holiday destination if you want sun, sea, cheap beer and food. Spain is not far for all of that. Family holiday to Wales last year for a week and it cost us around £2.5k all in, fuel, food, accommodation doing things. Could have gone 4/5 star hotel all inclusive to Turkey for that!!!

A320LGW
30th May 2022, 00:52
I don't get when these people were recruited though, I have seen no advertisement since before Covid and the ones I'm seeing posting about getting hired only finished flight training in 2021. Internal contacts??

AIMINGHIGH123
30th May 2022, 04:33
I don't get when these people were recruited though, I have seen no advertisement since before Covid and the ones I'm seeing posting about getting hired only finished flight training in 2021. Internal contacts??

Were these people on the pilot apprentice scheme at Jet2?

Or yes internal.

Flight training has been very messy for a lot though. I have heard a couple of real horror stories from a couple of guys.

Could have been people on pilot apprentice scheme having not finished everything until 2021.

Brian Pern
30th May 2022, 06:55
Aviation is certainly picking up fast.
Let’s face it the UK is a crap holiday destination if you want sun, sea, cheap beer and food. Spain is not far for all of that. Family holiday to Wales last year for a week and it cost us around £2.5k all in, fuel, food, accommodation doing things. Could have gone 4/5 star hotel all inclusive to Turkey for that!!!

Well I could not agree more, I have had quite a few people in the SIM for refresher or help with an upcoming assessment. All are back in work so things certainly are looking up.

Not Jet2's or any UK airlines fault, but we have yet to see the true fall out over Brexit when EASA validation period ends in December. Could be interesting for the UK industry as a whole.

I am sure people are desperate to get away, the security guard at the building where I have my office, Glen would dearly love to get away with his wife and 2 children, but to Greece this year 2 weeks is £5k plus for anywhere nice, they are used to paying a 'few grand' but now its just too much. There are plenty like him

rotorwills
30th May 2022, 11:29
If you want to come on a professional pilots message board and suggest that Ryan air are better than Jet2 because their staff are on zero hour contracts I’m afraid I have no interest in your opinion, however enormous your salary might be. Whatever your job is it’s a pity you’re not also on a zero hour contract. They shouldn’t exist, in Aviation or any other business.

You need to read my post. Firstly I never said FR were better than Jet2. Maybe you need to reach a level of English comprehension before throwing out stupid insinuating posts.

I cannot reason as to why you hurl insults at a member, as you say a forum for Professional Pilots. You need to question yourself as to why you would be on this forum, clearly your post suggests otherwise.

Whitemonk Returns
30th May 2022, 15:41
Well I could not agree more, I have had quite a few people in the SIM for refresher or help with an upcoming assessment. All are back in work so things certainly are looking up.

Not Jet2's or any UK airlines fault, but we have yet to see the true fall out over Brexit when EASA validation period ends in December. Could be interesting for the UK industry as a whole.

I am sure people are desperate to get away, the security guard at the building where I have my office, Glen would dearly love to get away with his wife and 2 children, but to Greece this year 2 weeks is £5k plus for anywhere nice, they are used to paying a 'few grand' but now its just too much. There are plenty like him

The days of the average family going away for a two week summer holiday are over, I earn over 100k and I cant afford it. But you are incorrect in thinking it will stop people going away, people will shorten the trip to 7 or 9 days instead of 14.

And to the person talking about seeing posts on LinkedIn about new joiners already starting, they all are either the 90 or so ex TCX pilots who were let go during the pandemic coming back, or the pilot apprentice course that was canned at the same time. External recruitment starts in June.

Anyway its all a moot point if the airports don't get their act together and start getting in security staff and passenger assistance none of us will be flying anywhere!

AIMINGHIGH123
31st May 2022, 07:52
The days of the average family going away for a two week summer holiday are over, I earn over 100k and I cant afford it. But you are incorrect in thinking it will stop people going away, people will shorten the trip to 7 or 9 days instead of 14.

And to the person talking about seeing posts on LinkedIn about new joiners already starting, they all are either the 90 or so ex TCX pilots who were let go during the pandemic coming back, or the pilot apprentice course that was canned at the same time. External recruitment starts in June.

Anyway its all a moot point if the airports don't get their act together and start getting in security staff and passenger assistance none of us will be flying anywhere!

Off topic but…..
Really!!! My Mrs possible earns around same as you so you taking home £6-7k a month? plus what your other half earns and you can’t go away for 2 weeks!!!

Obviously everyone priorities are different. I drive an old banger but we love our holidays and experiences. Just have to be savvy. Went to UAE for 8 days recently and spent under £4K all in. Flights were £990 for 2 adults 1 child 1 baby. Direct flights as well with the AD carrier. It was actually my Mrs boss who found flights for us. A guy who had a 7 figure bonus last year is more savvy than me.
Had car hire stayed in 4/5 star places and ate out every evening. We like to move around when away so drove to DXB went to WB, Ferrari world etc.
Ok I admit we often go away with no accommodation booked, we like to have options in case the first place is rubbish.

Your point on airports though yes it’s a complete disaster. I know a guy who is in security at MAN said it’s the worst year ever and we haven’t even hit summer peak yet!!!

It doesn’t take much for passengers to kick off at the best of times. Add this in to the mix and it’s going to be delays/diversions etc etc more added costs.

Edit:

Actually it was around £3.5k. Hotels still around same as what we paid now. Obviously it’s a million degrees in UAE so not an ideal time to go. Looked up a couple of Jet2 package deals to Turkey and I can get them cheaper but use J2 for the flights only.

Slight thread drift.

Airport queues/ flight cancellations all over the news this morning. TUI/BA/Easy being main culprits. Oh dear.

Arrowhead
1st Jun 2022, 20:08
https://jet2careers.com/search-careers/?level2=At%20the%20Airport

NTR FOs & Captains
B757 TR FOs & Captains
A321 TR FOs & Captains
B737 TR FOs & Captains

beauport potato man
1st Jun 2022, 21:41
The website is a bit vague on salary and benefits… where can I get that info?

A320LGW
1st Jun 2022, 23:05
I imagine no shortage of rated crew applying. Will they even get around to hiring any non rated?

Stone Cold II
2nd Jun 2022, 01:09
What is a typical roster pattern like for Jet2 and more specifically the Airbus, is the Airbus likely to be based in BRS?

Currently at another Airbus operator in the South West but PT, would be interested in what they have to offer to compare.

santacruz
2nd Jun 2022, 06:57
Fantastic news!

Any tips on preparing for the assessment process? PM is fine if you prefer!

santacruz
2nd Jun 2022, 06:58
Where are they planning to base the Airbus and B757 next summer? Anybody know?

Jaf4fa
2nd Jun 2022, 07:32
Typical roster, there isn’t one at the moment. B757 is only based at MAN. Airbus will initially be based at MAN and after that there are no “published” plans. Salary is the same as everyone else as there are no increments for years served. Pilot apprentice pay I’m unsure of😳 Good luck everyone😁

Seosan
3rd Jun 2022, 08:35
What's the Jet2 sector pay like?

Vulka
3rd Jun 2022, 12:12
I have a question...
Do they still have base in Spain?

thanks.

Whitemonk Returns
3rd Jun 2022, 20:57
I'll try and answer a few of the above.

Spain bases have been killed by Brexit unfortunately, most of the crews have moved to BRS I believe.

A320 at BRS? Not anytime soon, they will go to MAN and BHX first.

757 will always be at MAN and all 8 are staying for summer 23 hence the recruitment.

Random roster, ex RYR people tend to hate that part but I would hate their roster so it's horses for courses.

Leave system is great, between AL and RDOs you get over 70 days you can pick off, weekends in the summer are a bum fight but I find them pretty good at not rostering me every weekend. I have two on and two off in July, seems fair enough to me but people will always complain. The 9 day restriction in summer is a pain but if you add on your RDOs you can get a 14 day stretch if your in the top bid group. I like that after initial bidding windows it is instant, push of a button yes or no, no annoying emails. They gave us an extra 5 days this year on top too.

Sector pay is between 35 and 45 a sector plus duty pay of 2 something an hour. Captain basic is 115k plus profit share again from next year, probably 125k not including profit share for about 500 hours a year, not footballer money but for a few months of hard work and 7 or 8 months of fairly chilled out rosters it's OK. Pension 10%.

FO sector pay is about half of a Captain, SFOs are on about 85k not including profit share.

Company will hire both NTR and TR regardless of the number of TR applications, it's just what they do, they like the mix. One thing I will say is that if you will have a head start if you know someone internally, there is process for internal recommendations and nearly every FD I know will have recommended someone to be screened first.

am111
3rd Jun 2022, 23:16
What's the Jet2 sector pay like?

This was doing the rounds of my company WhatsApp chats. No idea on it's accuracy, but got to keep that rumour mill turning somehow. Figures look like they might be the ones prior to the well publicised 4% pay rise when compared to Whitemonk Returns ' numbers.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/777x1600/bcf2d538_f7b7_46d2_8882_f7ae8f2f0eb6_14d007e183de6a0b966fcce 59128a72ef4116c4b.jpeg

santacruz
4th Jun 2022, 05:55
I'll try and answer a few of the above.
Leave system is great, between AL and RDOs you get over 70 days you can pick off, weekends in the summer are a bum fight but I find them pretty good at not rostering me every weekend. I have two on and two off in July, seems fair enough to me but people will always complain. The 9 day restriction in summer is a pain but if you add on your RDOs you can get a 14 day stretch if your in the top bid group. I like that after initial bidding windows it is instant, push of a button yes or no, no annoying emails. They gave us an extra 5 days this year on top too.

Company will hire both NTR and TR regardless of the number of TR applications, it's just what they do, they like the mix. One thing I will say is that if you will have a head start if you know someone internally, there is process for internal recommendations and nearly every FD I know will have recommended someone to be screened first.

Thank you Whitemonk and others for the great answers. Honestly it sounds perfect for me; I should have my application submitted by Monday.

DonTrumpet2020
4th Jun 2022, 11:15
From picture in post number 99 do they recruit FO’s direct onto the SFO scale if they have experience?
If not, can a regular FO be promoted to Commander 6 months after final line check once they meet other requirements?
For STN base is there any living in london allowance?

speed13ird
4th Jun 2022, 15:27
Random roster, ex RYR people tend to hate that part but I would hate their roster so it's horses for courses.

You hate 4 days off every week all through the summer?

takes all sorts I guess :)

Jonty
4th Jun 2022, 16:10
From picture in post number 99 do they recruit FO’s direct onto the SFO scale if they have experience?
If not, can a regular FO be promoted to Commander 6 months after final line check once they meet other requirements?
For STN base is there any living in london allowance?

No
Yes
No

apparently my reply was too short

Johnny F@rt Pants
4th Jun 2022, 16:30
You hate 4 days off every week all through the summer

Yes when it comes at the expense of 5 long assed 4 sector days. And, if you aren’t based where you live it’s a 7 on 2 off pattern:ouch:

speed13ird
4th Jun 2022, 16:41
Yes when it comes at the expense of 5 long added 4 sector days. And, if you aren’t based where you live it’s a 7 on 2 off pattern:ouch:

Ah ok, Jet2 base everybody where they live, that's brilliant.

Johnny F@rt Pants
4th Jun 2022, 16:44
Ah ok, Jet2 base everybody where they live, that's brilliant

I didn’t say that. However, Jet2 will do their utmost to get you to your base of choice as soon as is possible with a very transparent base transfer system.

rotorwills
4th Jun 2022, 18:05
I didn’t say that. However, Jet2 will do their utmost to get you to your base of choice as soon as is possible with a very transparent base transfer system.

Who are you trying to kid.
Rubbish, I know of many FR crew over the last 10 years or so, that complain about base transfers. The talk about rosters of FR and five day 4 sector days, are so far away from reality. Don't see much about the days at Jet2 on airport standby, sat in uniform in a crew room for endless hours, has that finished? don't think so.
The Ryan 5 on 4 off is a brilliant roster. Looking at their bases and flights from the outside and the extrapolating duty hours you can clearly see it's a winner in anyones book. Do the maths!

I can understand members coming on here and sticking up for their respective employers but let's not sugar coat everything. What I see is clear misinformation spread by posters. Have to say in particular, the threads on Jet2.
Can we have more balanced and reasonable posts, please.

All companies have issues, but let's try and portray a more realistic approach of information to potential candidates entering into aviation or others looking to move new pastures. Yes, they are not always as green as portrayed on this site. Be warned!

Whitemonk Returns
4th Jun 2022, 18:33
Who are you trying to kid.
Rubbish, I know of many FR crew over the last 10 years or so, that complain about base transfers. The talk about rosters of FR and five day 4 sector days, are so far away from reality. Don't see much about the days at Jet2 on airport standby, sat in uniform in a crew room for endless hours, has that finished? don't think so.
The Ryan 5 on 4 off is a brilliant roster. Looking at their bases and flights from the outside and the extrapolating duty hours you can clearly see it's a winner in anyones book. Do the maths!

I can understand members coming on here and sticking up for their respective employers but let's not sugar coat everything. What I see is clear misinformation spread by posters. Have to say in particular, the threads on Jet2.
Can we have more balanced and reasonable posts, please.

All companies have issues, but let's try and portray a more realistic approach of information to potential candidates entering into aviation or others looking to move new pastures. Yes, they are not always as green as portrayed on this site. Be warned!

You responded to what I think was my balanced take that I personally don't like the RYR roster hence why I don't work there but that I understand it suits others with your argumentative posts. If the 5/4 at RYR was so fantastic we would all be clamouring to work there... But we are not. You were probably one of the ones telling everyone who could listen that those multi year pay cuts you all got were for the benefit of the pilots. Yeah right dude they are selling bridges down by the TUI ticket sales desks.

Anyway, back on topic I would like to throw Rotor and his mate a bone and dispel one myth about Jet2 that has always bothered me. This 6 month to command thing is probably the biggest issue with new joiners falling out with the company after they have joined. Let me dispel it, it will not happen. Let me play it out:

You apply tomorrow June 22 and are successful and are offered the first course October 22. You are two months going through ground school and simulator training, add another two months if NTR. Now you need a security pass... Have you seen the news? OK it's gone well for you and you have your training complete and pass in hand ready for line training in February, oh but there are not many flights until March/April, have a couple of weeks off. You get your FLC passed May 1st. Now you wait 6 months to put in your command application, it's November 1st 2022. That takes a month to process and now you need a three day CPC course, but it's Christmas and the next one is February 2023. You get on it and it goes well, great, Command Assessment in March, you pass, we'll done again now you go into the hold pool which is not seniority based but done by date of joining. So you are last in the pool in April. Email comes out, summer is going to be really busy we need all hands on deck, no upgrades until after the summer season. OK fair enough at least you are in the pool, top of the list starts to get courses in October, but you want to be based in Belfast, or Manchester or Birmingham? No problem, but we have a course for you in January to be based in Glasgow and we will try and get you back to your choice ASAP (and to be fair to them, they will). So now you have a choice to make. You take the command course in January and your FLC is passed in late March 2024, congratulations your based in Glasgow until March 2025. This is not a fantasy scenario, I know people in this situation who have been with the company years.

Oh, now imagine your initial course isn't in October 22 it's in April 23.

Oh and the Covid Monkeypox strain is hiding behind those TUI check in desks along with Rotors bridges...

Jokes aside, it is a good job, probably the best one going in the UK right now, but nowhere is perfect so if you can survive the above then you should apply. Best of luck.

Brian Pern
5th Jun 2022, 09:48
You apply tomorrow June 22 and are successful and are offered the first course October 22. You are two months going through ground school and simulator training, add another two months if NTR. Now you need a security pass... Have you seen the news? OK it's gone well for you and you have your training complete and pass in hand ready for line training in February, oh but there are not many flights until March/April, have a couple of weeks off. You get your FLC passed May 1st. Now you wait 6 months to put in your command application, it's November 1st 2022. That takes a month to process and now you need a three day CPC course, but it's Christmas and the next one is February 2023. You get on it and it goes well, great, Command Assessment in March, you pass, we'll done again now you go into the hold pool which is not seniority based but done by date of joining. So you are last in the pool in April. Email comes out, summer is going to be really busy we need all hands on deck, no upgrades until after the summer season. OK fair enough at least you are in the pool, top of the list starts to get courses in October, but you want to be based in Belfast, or Manchester or Birmingham? No problem, but we have a course for you in January to be based in Glasgow and we will try and get you back to your choice ASAP (and to be fair to them, they will). So now you have a choice to make. You take the command course in January and your FLC is passed in late March 2024, congratulations your based in Glasgow until March 2025. This is not a fantasy scenario, I know people in this situation who have been with the company years.

Oh, now imagine your initial course isn't in October 22 it's in April 23.

I think you have the dates mixed up a bit,
Joining OCC Course October 2022,
Final Line Check 1st May 2023,
6 months, 1st November 2023
CPC Course February 2024
Command Course January 2025
Final Line Check March 2025.

At the moment 3 years ish. Considering the last 2 years is not too bad and par for the course. I am pretty sure it will be similar in the blue yellow airline as well.

The best advice this old geezer can give to any potential FO's out there, whatever company you wish to work for is this. The best route to command is to stay with one company, sometimes life is not ideal, but chopping and changing jobs puts you down the list, regardless of the company's system.

Whitemonk Returns
5th Jun 2022, 18:09
I think you have the dates mixed up a bit,
Joining OCC Course October 2022,
Final Line Check 1st May 2023,
6 months, 1st November 2023
CPC Course February 2024
Command Course January 2025
Final Line Check March 2025.

At the moment 3 years ish. Considering the last 2 years is not too bad and par for the course. I am pretty sure it will be similar in the blue yellow airline as well.

The best advice this old geezer can give to any potential FO's out there, whatever company you wish to work for is this. The best route to command is to stay with one company, sometimes life is not ideal, but chopping and changing jobs puts you down the list, regardless of the company's system.

You are correct my 2023 was a bit of an epic year 😅👍

SpamCanDriver
6th Jun 2022, 09:22
Might all be academic for most of us anyway, given the website crashed when it opened up & there are rumours of 2000 people applying in the first 2days.

Alrosa
6th Jun 2022, 09:33
Not surprising, especially as the floodgates have been opened to NTR as well as TR.

I must admit, it does make TUI UK’s recent ad for temporary summer contracts + £7000 salary deduction for the OCC look a bit parsimonious..

SpamCanDriver
7th Jun 2022, 12:59
Not surprising, especially as the floodgates have been opened to NTR as well as TR.

I must admit, it does make TUI UK’s recent ad for temporary summer contracts + £7000 salary deduction for the OCC look a bit parsimonious..

Was very surprised they opened to NTR people, but according to a friend the type rating is not the deciding factor.
Have no idea how accurate that is, but the fact they opened to NTR, when they would of known they could get all the TR people they wanted. Kind of lends some credibility to the statement.
I guess we will find out soon enough

Jonty
7th Jun 2022, 13:22
They prefer the “right people” wether they are type rated or not.

SpamCanDriver
8th Jun 2022, 16:02
They prefer the “right people” wether they are type rated or not.

That's what I'm hoping...
I have previous experience on the 737 & 757, but I'm not current and my type rating on both has expired as haven't flown either in over a decade 😬

Fudgelover
10th Jun 2022, 12:33
Hi guys,

good to see this chat blowing up and active. I'm applying as direct entry rated 737 FO, does anyone have more information to how this will be and stages explained please. More importantly any online prep you recommend please. From my understanding the last guys passed this assessment was in 2019. Would like to hear from you guys via dm or here. Thank you

santacruz
11th Jun 2022, 07:49
I'm applying as DEC and would also appreciate any tips regarding how best to prepare for the assessment. On here or PM is fine. TIA!

Whitemonk Returns
11th Jun 2022, 10:33
Hi guys,

good to see this chat blowing up and active. I'm applying as direct entry rated 737 FO, does anyone have more information to how this will be and stages explained please. More importantly any online prep you recommend please. From my understanding the last guys passed this assessment was in 2019. Would like to hear from you guys via dm or here. Thank you

There is no specific preparation required other than standard interview prep you would expect, what do you know about the fleet, company, bases etc

There are the standard psychometric tests prior to interview and while I don't know much about them I get the impression you just have to pass them and I have heard of good candidates being asked to retake them after the interview if they messed them up.

Group exercise and an interview with a two pilot panel, (tell us about a time when...) if you pass that you go to the sim. That's it, fairly straight forward.

Mr Good Cat
11th Jun 2022, 14:32
Any bickering and member-waving about who's employer is best is pointless. It's all subjective, and depends on your goals and circumstances.

I've worked for a few of the world's major airlines. They all had better perks and pay than Jet2. But they didn't have the same happy atmosphere that Jet2 does on your typical little sortie taking the Smith family to Greece for their holidays. I guess you need to work out what's most important to you as an individual at this stage of your life: Money, fixed rosters, big shiny widebodies, or a happy day at work? It isn't the 60s and Pan Am doesn't exist anymore, so you can't have your AOC cake and eat it.

PS Whitemonk has called it right on the six months to command issue... It takes time to get through the system so don't take it as a given. You'll only end up disappointed.

Whitemonk Returns
14th Jun 2022, 06:13
All Jet2 pilots waking up happy this morning, 1% additional end of season pay rise replaced with 4% from next month plus £1000 thank you to all colleagues.

Total pay rise for 2022 now 8% plus £1000. If SH was a politician he would have my vote

santacruz
14th Jun 2022, 07:52
Great news white monk.

Has anyone who applied heard anything yet?

gehenna
14th Jun 2022, 08:37
These salary rises and the £1000 are great for the pilots, but do you know what the rest of the staff are receiving, as they are as important as the pilots?

Thanks

Flap40
14th Jun 2022, 08:41
All Jet2 pilots waking up happy this morning, 1% additional end of season pay rise replaced with 4% from next month plus £1000 thank you to all colleagues.

Total pay rise for 2022 now 8% plus £1000. If SH was a politician he would have my vote
4% of 4% is 0.16% so the total is actually 8.16% for the year (so far) plus the £1000.

Chesty Morgan
14th Jun 2022, 08:55
These salary rises and the £1000 are great for the pilots, but do you know what the rest of the staff are receiving, as they are as important as the pilots?

Thanks
The recent pay rises and bonus are for all colleagues.

737 Jockey
15th Jun 2022, 18:50
Could any J2 Pilot on a 70% roster state their number of days off per month that gives? Cheers.

olster
15th Jun 2022, 19:53
So a 19 year old cabin crew is as important as a 50 year old, highly experienced captain with associated training etc....? Hmmm, I didn’t know that I had gone to sleep and woken up in 1960s chairman Mao communist China. On a human level of course all are equal and all will get the 1k. Well done J2!

Whitemonk Returns
15th Jun 2022, 20:35
So a 19 year old cabin crew is as important as a 50 year old, highly experienced captain with associated training etc....? Hmmm, I didn’t know that I had gone to sleep and woken up in 1960s chairman Mao communist China. On a human level of course all are equal and all will get the 1k. Well done J2!

The 1k bonus will be going to all colleagues apparently.

However if you look at the rough payrises:

​​​​​​8% to a Captain equates to a 9k uplift

12% to a Cabin Crew on 25k is roughly a 3k uplift

Not quite communist China just yet....

However there have been eyebrows raised recently that there are cabin crew taking home more a month than some FOs due to their commission. Good for them to be honest, a senior FO now is closer to 90k than 70k and that's with no bonus this year.

olster
15th Jun 2022, 20:40
In fairness Whitemonk I agree and think that the cabin crew work hard and deserve a better than usual uplift, fair play to them. Also, Jet 2 didn’t have to do anything but they did. I may be biased but if there is a better airline in the U.K. right now I would be surprised.

Whitemonk Returns
15th Jun 2022, 21:39
In fairness Whitemonk I agree and think that the cabin crew work hard and deserve a better than usual uplift, fair play to them. Also, Jet 2 didn’t have to do anything but they did. I may be biased but if there is a better airline in the U.K. right now I would be surprised.

There isn't, and truthfully I hope Jet2s approach to their staff forces the hand of all the other UK airlines because at the end of the day the better things are for others the better things are for all of us. The one thing I will say about the company is it comes from the top, anyone who had ever stood in a room with the real top people in Jet2 would probably agree that they come across as genuinely good people, tough decisions have to be made at times but ultimately I trust them to do the right thing. Now if they could just clear out all of the middle managers I'd truly be in paradise...

AIMINGHIGH123
16th Jun 2022, 05:34
I may be biased but if there is a better airline in the U.K. right now I would be surprised.

Subjective.
For me it’s good but they only have 1 base in the south. Career wise SH for 30 years? Not for me thanks. Pros and cons and every airline. Its what you rate as most important.

It is great J2 have given pay rises hopefully it will raise the eyebrows of others.

ZapPow
16th Jun 2022, 10:54
Does anyone know if J2 will be able to consider applications from current contractors they are using to fly for them this summer? Or if there is an embargo on crews from these airlines? Lots of colleagues very interested in J2 as they seem great and terms and conditions much better than else where.

excrab
16th Jun 2022, 18:20
Subjective.
For me it’s good but they only have 1 base in the south. Career wise SH for 30 years? Not for me thanks. Pros and cons and every airline. Its what you rate as most important.

It is great J2 have given pay rises hopefully it will raise the eyebrows of others.

I guess that depends if your world is Londoncentric. Stansted is in the South, and so is Bristol. And Birmingham and even East Midlands are Southish.

But you’re right about the career thing. Hopefully they will have a transparent fleet transfer policy eventually, at least you could then do Boeing and then Bus when you get bored, or the other way around. Personally I feel sorry for anyone starting in the RHS of a 737 or Airbus at any airline in their twenties. You might end up at 65 with good seniority and pension but doing European short haul your whole life would be desperately boring. Sadly BA is still the only place in the U.K. where you can really switch from one to the other and back again, apart from TUI to some extent…

TheFiddler
16th Jun 2022, 20:24
Does anyone know if J2 will be able to consider applications from current contractors they are using to fly for them this summer? Or if there is an embargo on crews from these airlines? Lots of colleagues very interested in J2 as they seem great and terms and conditions much better than else where.

J2 have previously taken people from Titan, and Titan have recently taken people from J2 so I would hope it wouldn't be an issue.

Whitemonk Returns
16th Jun 2022, 20:59
There definitely is no embargo on contractors who have flown for the company, if anything I would say you would probably be top of the que if you applied.

Just to respond to the posts above re career and southish bases etc, I don't even know if I will be here in 10 years so I don't want to come across as too much of a saleswoman but let me say two things I believe based on nothing more than instinct

Two things will happen:

LGW will be a J2 base

Long haul is less than 3 years away, with Air Tanker flying the initial season to handle all of the initial risk.

Remember, the company have 70+ Airbus on order, nowhere does it say the aircraft are exclusively A321... And many of our cabin crew and engineers are now A330 qualified...

santacruz
17th Jun 2022, 04:53
Interesting!

The problem with Gatwick as a base for any airline is that there are already a huge number of aircraft based there with other operators. Makes for a very busy first wave outbound and not much room for anybody else. If Jet2 continued to have bases in the med they could fly into Gatwick from there I suppose? There is also the possibility to do W patterns from other UK bases.

With regards to longer flights, the A321neo already has an extra 1-2 hours on the 737 for range at high payload. I'm sure they are eyeing up destinations around 6-7hrs flying time.

Regarding applications, anyone heard anything yet?!

Jonty
17th Jun 2022, 10:36
There definitely is no embargo on contractors who have flown for the company, if anything I would say you would probably be top of the que if you applied.

Just to respond to the posts above re career and southish bases etc, I don't even know if I will be here in 10 years so I don't want to come across as too much of a saleswoman but let me say two things I believe based on nothing more than instinct

Two things will happen:

LGW will be a J2 base

Long haul is less than 3 years away, with Air Tanker flying the initial season to handle all of the initial risk.

Remember, the company have 70+ Airbus on order, nowhere does it say the aircraft are exclusively A321... And many of our cabin crew and engineers are now A330 qualified...

and pilots.

1201alarm
17th Jun 2022, 14:34
Personally I feel sorry for anyone starting in the RHS of a 737 or Airbus at any airline in their twenties. You might end up at 65 with good seniority and pension but doing European short haul your whole life would be desperately boring.

Find that way too negative and judgemental. I started on an 150 seat narrowbody in my twenties, upgraded to CPT and trainer relatively quickly (both after less than 10 years) and I still tremendously enjoy flying around Europe. So far I have flown to all the major airports in Europe (MAD, FRA, MUC, LHR, ZRH, AMS, CDG, FCO), I have flown to all the typical charter destinations (canaries, the greek islands, PMI, IBZ, corsica, sardinia, ...), all that mixed with lots of smaller european cities (ALC, FAO, NCE, BUD, WAW, these are just examples, there are a three digit figure of them), and besides all that I flew as far as the canaries, north africa, egypt, israel, russia, iceland etc.

It was pretty much everything within 5h of flight time of central europe and with 1700m of concrete. It is a tremendous variety in flying challenges and it all comes with hardly any night flights, no jetlag and no flat-sitting of your backside for hours over an ocean.

I might want at one point to go longhaul, but if not, no regrets either.

If I go longhaul, I'd prefer a medium size widebody which has a more divers route network. The thought of going to the same 8 destinations for 20 years sounds scarily boring to me. But each to their own.

YosserHughes
18th Jun 2022, 06:18
So far I have flown to all the major airports in Europe (MAD, FRA, MUC, LHR, ZRH, AMS, CDG, FCO), I have flown to all the typical charter destinations (canaries, the greek islands, PMI, IBZ, corsica, sardinia, ...), all that mixed with lots of smaller european cities (ALC, FAO, NCE, BUD, WAW, these are just examples, there are a three digit figure of them), and besides all that I flew as far as the canaries, north africa, egypt, israel, russia, iceland etc.

Wow... have you considered applying to the European Space Agency?

Mrmorreti
18th Jun 2022, 09:46
Find that way too negative and judgemental. I started on an 150 seat narrowbody in my twenties, upgraded to CPT and trainer relatively quickly (both after less than 10 years) and I still tremendously enjoy flying around Europe. So far I have flown to all the major airports in Europe (MAD, FRA, MUC, LHR, ZRH, AMS, CDG, FCO), I have flown to all the typical charter destinations (canaries, the greek islands, PMI, IBZ, corsica, sardinia, ...), all that mixed with lots of smaller european cities (ALC, FAO, NCE, BUD, WAW, these are just examples, there are a three digit figure of them), and besides all that I flew as far as the canaries, north africa, egypt, israel, russia, iceland etc.

It was pretty much everything within 5h of flight time of central europe and with 1700m of concrete. It is a tremendous variety in flying challenges and it all comes with hardly any night flights, no jetlag and no flat-sitting of your backside for hours over an ocean.

If I go longhaul, I'd prefer a medium size widebody which has a more divers route network. The thought of going to the same 8 destinations for 20 years sounds scarily boring to me. But each to their own.

I think this might be the single smuggest post I have ever had the misfortune of reading on PPrune.

excrab
18th Jun 2022, 11:17
And it pretty well makes my point for me, if 1201alarm has done all these things by his or her mid thirties, and mastered all the challenges a short haul airline can offer what is she or he going to do for the next thirty years apart from more of the same, either in the aircraft or in the back of the sim. Eventually it reaches a point where the major challenge of the day (depending on which airline you fly for) is finding the controls and screen for the flight deck door camera.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy European ops with the airline I fly for, which may or may not be connected with this thread, but I’m glad that my (so far) 40 years of flying started with something different. But for the benefit of 1201alarm I would point out that I stated that it was a personal opinion, and not meant to be judgemental of anyone who finds themselves in the situation I described. The world has changed since I started, there is less chance of military training in the U.K., expat job opportunities in GA are fewer than they were, and the self improver route has pretty well died in the U.K.

Anyway that all went a bit of topic, I believe that jet2 is a good place to work, good luck to all in the recruitment process…

speed13ird
18th Jun 2022, 15:51
Jet2's avoidance of bad press this year has been because they don't have a LGW base.

AIMINGHIGH123
18th Jun 2022, 16:30

So you barely scratched the surface then.

I have spent 5 years blasting around Europe and 99 times out of 100 it’s pretty easy.

The thought of flying around Europe for 30+ more years would be soul destroying.

Whitemonk Returns
18th Jun 2022, 17:19

I have spent 5 years blasting around Europe and 99 times out of 100 it’s pretty easy.

The thought of flying around Europe for 30+ more years would be soul destroying.

5 years, wow, so which company are you Chief Pilot for at the moment?

Mr Good Cat
18th Jun 2022, 17:51
Jet2's avoidance of bad press this year has been because they don't have a LGW base.

They have a Manchester base and that's been just as bad. It's just that the biggest users of MAN have coped better than EZY.

1201alarm
18th Jun 2022, 18:19
It seems I aroused some souls... :confused:

Just wanted to make a counter point by stating what European flying can offer if you are in the right company, and I define "the right company" not with the money earned. Money was always fair, not huge, but not little either, just fair.

Don't know what you meant by scratching the surface, and what you consider easy or not.

Well, I enjoy dealing with the daily mishaps, challenges and opportunities of optimization in shorthaul ops.

I try to coordinate my turnaround so I can get offblock 3 min earlier. I enjoy asking for a visual and cutoff 5 min of flight time. I enjoy calling ops control to switch aircraft for some good reason when ops control had a bad chaotic day and lost oversight. I enjoy calling the ramp agent on the company frequency and organise a quick transfer in his little van to a passengers connecting flight, if it is the pasengers last chance to reach destination on that day and we are behind schedule. I like to go into the italian terminal during turnaround and buy cornetti con crema for the whole crew. I calculate a takeoff performance full length and another for the intersection when sensible and when I see on taxiout that the intersection gives me an immediate departure I will let the controller know that we can accept the intersection.

I could go on and on and on with such examples, some might find that "astronaut" or "smmuggy" but I just enjoy making a difference, it gives me satisfaction and helps my company to continue to pay a fair salary.

If you don't enjoy that, may be you became a pilot for the wrong motives? Piloting is not heroic anymore, neither extremely well paid, but you are a manager of an expensive machine in a very complex environment. If you don't enjoy that, well, don't know then. Sounds sad to me. And I don't mean to offend anyone here.

AIMINGHIGH123
18th Jun 2022, 18:26
5 years, wow, so which company are you Chief Pilot for at the moment?

Why so condescending?

This isn’t talking about going into management or training.

Talking about SH flying. Specifically flying in Europe, yes it’s busy in places but it is fairly easy. We don’t get hurricanes, tornados, monsoons. ATC is generally very good, few places can be difficult. Yes you can make it more challenging, depending on what your airline allows, raw data ILS, NDB, VOR etc you’re still only getting experience within 5-6hrs from Central Europe. The best captains I have learnt from are guys/gals that have flown in other parts of the world.

PAPI-74
20th Jun 2022, 12:02
I'm assuming the banter tennis is because the interviews haven't started yet.....

A320LGW
1st Jul 2022, 14:02
Has anyone else applied with an EASA license?

I have applied for a UK CAA license but still waiting for it 2 months later. I included this in my application, I hope it will be accepted, anyone able to advise?

santacruz
1st Jul 2022, 14:04
Anyone heard anything yet?

maccawakeling
1st Jul 2022, 14:12
Anyone heard anything yet?

Nope, applied they day it opened and still nothing. Anyone else?

PAPI-74
1st Jul 2022, 14:23
All quiet.
I've heard that there have been over 7000 applications. +4000 have EASA licences. These numbers will include various experience and levels of currency.

ItsonlyMeagain
1st Jul 2022, 14:37
Have you also heard that the contract offered, including to the 102 that were laid off, but would be invited back, is only part year? However, no reduction in yearly hours limit…. Not quite as good as it seems.

Me

A320LGW
1st Jul 2022, 14:51
All quiet.
I've heard that there have been over 7000 applications. +4000 have EASA licences. These numbers will include various experience and levels of currency.
I imagine large numbers of EU citizens without the right to work in the UK have applied, removing all of these I imagine (hope) that number comes down quite rapidly

Jaf4fa
1st Jul 2022, 16:43
Many disillusioned/worried TUI pilots by the sound of it😎

PAPI-74
1st Jul 2022, 16:52
Again, this is word of mouth, but 70% for the first year (full time Summer, 50% Winter) and 100% year 2.
There is a good chance recruitment will be onto the 737 (bonded) then in the queue for Airbus. Without confirmation from J2, all this is speculation.

Whitemonk Returns
1st Jul 2022, 20:15
Again, this is word of mouth, but 70% for the first year (full time Summer, 50% Winter) and 100% year 2.
There is a good chance recruitment will be onto the 737 (bonded) then in the queue for Airbus. Without confirmation from J2, all this is speculation.

I genuinely don't know what had been offered this time round but the quote above has historically been for non jet rated pilots, jet pilots usually got offered 100% from day one but we live in different times now.

Also worth mentioning re the comment above with no reduction in yearly hours for 70%....

This isn't RYR, there isn't a pilot in the history of Jet2 who has ever come close to 900 hours in a calender year, id wager a fair wad of cash that the number of guys who have flown over 750 is in single digits.

I know some recruitment has started as I heard some interviews were happening last week

mesh
20th Jul 2022, 16:45
Apprentice interviews have started

AIMINGHIGH123
28th Jul 2022, 09:15
Well?

Anyone at J2 care to pitch in:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jet2-pilot-tired-fatigue-balpa-b2132993.html

Jaf4fa
28th Jul 2022, 09:26
Well?

Anyone at J2 care to pitch in:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jet2-pilot-tired-fatigue-balpa-b2132993.html

Not sure the fight forum. Should be moved to main Jet2 in Misc🤨

excrab
28th Jul 2022, 10:02
Probably is the right forum as it’s of interest to people applying for jobs, although tbh I expect most out of work pilots would sign a contract with the devil at the moment, especially if they’re not type rated.

Before I start I will just say that 1. Jet2 have a social media policy which says that employees shouldn’t mention that they work there on social media and 2. I’m a member of BALPA. That’s important because this story in the independent had almost certainly come from BALPA. For those that don’t know BALPA only have recognition at J2 because they went to ACAS when the company refused to recognise them. There has been a continual battle since as the company will only negotiate on the absolute minimum things which they have to, and refuse to enter into discussions about rostering. This stance seems to be to the advantage of the pilots in some ways, as the company generally gives fairly generous pay increases very early in the negotiating process so that BALPA can’t claim to have negotiated it.

The rostering /fatigue issues are a different subject and my experience will be different to others and will depend on seat and base. But my experience this summer is that, if I worked for them, apart from a period of disruption for a few weeks in May / June is that it’s no better or worse than any of the six other airlines I’ve worked for. If I have concerns about discretion I can call crewing and refuse to work into it which I have done, and had no comeback. I’ve submitted a future fatigue report once this summer and my roster was changed as a result and the only communication was the roster change and an email from crewing saying that they agreed with my concerns. We had an email from BALPA a couple of days ago saying that some of the problems had been caused by inexperienced crewing officers, and I suspect that is true, a few times I’ve spoken to them and had to quote the rules of the crewing agreement, but I’ve done that and spoken to crewing supervisors and problems ha e been sorted. Just like other places I’ve worked.

At some point someone is going to come on here and go on about me drinking “the company cool aid”. As a general principle I would like to see more cooperation with the union, but bearing in mind what this thread is about I’m prepared to put up with it this summer because of the unusual world events of the last two years.
and the bad news for some people reading this is that crew gossip says there were 4000 applications for approximately 100 DEP positions, so it looks like plenty of other people will put up with it too.

Stone Cold II
28th Jul 2022, 12:33
All balpa would like to do at jet2 given free reign, as is their peculiar blinkered mindset, is to implant an anachronistic seniority list (to the detriment of the pilots as a whole), and naff all else. That the toxic tentacles of balpa haven't made their way far into jet2 is a major plus in its favour.

They have never or tried to do that at EZY. BALPA played a massive role in preventing a lot of pilots being made redundant at EZY, we were probably one of a minority who didn’t have any pilot redundancies,

Stone Cold II
28th Jul 2022, 13:32
The balpa capitulation to airline managements to avoid redundancies at all costs (very considerable costs to the long term pay benchmark) was one of their most lamentable recent legacies IMO, which strangely enough, airlines are reluctant to unwind. Will most pilots quit at the sub par pay? - No, because they don't want to lose their seniority and start again. Any wonder therefore, that in this respect, jet2 can hold it's head high. And a balpa NO easyJet pilot seemed remarkably fond of seniority lists, pretty much to the exclusion of all else, when guiding a naïve bunch of CCs at another airline.

Last year every EZY pilot was offered their original full time contract back as promised. Many skippers including myself actually enjoyed the part time lifestyle and elected to remain on it. Our terms and conditions were never touched…they did try, but membership in BALPA grew to its highest level and surpassed BA in numbers I believe and fought off PB who has recently left to spend more time with his family.

Vokes55
28th Jul 2022, 17:45
On what planet do you have to live to believe that having next to no union recognition is better than having a strong union?

Delusional.

YosserHughes
29th Jul 2022, 12:17
Any rated Captains had a call for assessment yet?

SpamCanDriver
29th Jul 2022, 13:09

Galley FM says they're concentrating on FO's first

mesh
29th Jul 2022, 14:07
The new recruits will be mainly FO’s as a lot of internal promotions. Currently Airbus TRI and Apprentice interviews running with some rated, current FO’s. Order of interviews to my knowledge at the moment is DEC Airbus TRI, Rated FO, Apprentice, NTR FO, DEC. Majority FO’s so number of DEC rated and NTR will be small. Total required at moment around 200 but could change. Over 7000 applications.

Lazydogg
30th Jul 2022, 10:36
On what planet do you have to live to believe that having next to no union recognition is better than having a strong union?

Delusional.

100 percent. It is pathetic.

Jonty
30th Jul 2022, 16:33

That’s an opinion.

Personally I know people who hate BALPA and I know people who love them. I know people who have been helped enormously, and people who have been shafted.

My personal opinion is that unions in general are actually quite toothless, and peoples expectations of them are far in excess of what in reality a union can deliver.

The problem at Jet2 is that there are 2 employee bodies negotiating for the pilot work force. One that the company engages with and one that they don’t. I think when/if the body that the company engages with stops producing results that benefit the pilot workforce BALPA may become more important.

Overall I have been a BALPA member for over 25 years. I have paid an awful lot of money to them. With hindsight I’m not sure I have received value for money.

Chesty Morgan
30th Jul 2022, 18:06
So is paying for your own uniform, car park pass, sim time, line training, hotac, transport etc..

So is wanting to do 900 hours a year, living out of a suitcase in a different hotel each night, or spending days away from your family whilst shoving a delta pay cut (despite the excellently strong union?!) up your behind all because you want to say you work for a certain airline.

Alternatively the circa 500 hours I do a year for an airline in rude financial health, working 3-4 days a week makes my 8%+ pay rise this year, profit share bonus, share options, 140k/Yr salary and the next 5 weekends off having saved thousands in Balpa fees seem somehow...worth it.

Each to their own though, I don't begrudge you for putting up with any of the above and if being a Ryanair trainer or telling people you're a BA pilot is enough for you to put up with it then good for you. If you're happy then so am I.

Wireless
30th Jul 2022, 18:17
I don’t think you’ll find many of us at BA standing up for working at that place these days.

AIMINGHIGH123
30th Jul 2022, 18:26
I was a BALPA member at previous outfit. Never again.
When I needed help personally they were pretty useless.
For the amount you pay it’s a joke Union. Outside of aviation I have worked at places with unions and without. I would say at places where unions are strong have been slightly better.

BALPA laughing all the way to the bank from BA membership. If BA had amazing T+Cs similar to say Air France then ok it would be worth every penny. They don’t.

Vokes55
30th Jul 2022, 18:57
Alternatively the circa 500 hours I do a year for an airline in rude financial health, working 3-4 days a week makes my 8%+ pay rise this year, profit share bonus, share options, 140k/Yr salary and the next 5 weekends off having saved thousands in Balpa fees seem somehow...worth it.

Funny how it’s only Jet2 pilots that feel the need to shout about their T&Cs and tell everyone how great their lives supposedly are. I believe “inferiority complex” is the polite term here.

Not sure what “rude financial health” means either, but Jet2’s latest financial report was pretty dire and they’re certainly the most exposed airline to potential fuel price increases, recession and inflation.

Stone Cold II
30th Jul 2022, 22:07
3 or 4 working day week? You must be on the 757.

I don’t know anyone on the 737 who isn’t finding it pretty relentless at the moment! Wasn’t it just posted about Jet2 management refusing to acknowledge the fatigue concerns? Crew I heard on the crew bus the other day sounded pretty wrecked on day 6!

Jet2 is a good outfit no doubt about it and is probably is one of the better gigs for SH in the U.K. right now.

My opinion on BALPA, depends really which airline I suppose. I know some in BA hate them, in the land of orange they have been excellent, especially the past 3yrs they have excelled. I had an issue many years ago and they dealt with it promptly.

there she blows
31st Jul 2022, 01:13
There isn't a Jet2 pilot feeling inferior to any other UK airline these days, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
That’s exactly how it should be, no pilot should feel inferior in any airline.
But there is one jet2 pilot that acts superior to any other pilot right now….. I expect your complex is a need for self gratification,but whatever helps you get off at night
white spunk remains

Chesty Morgan
31st Jul 2022, 04:13
Funny how it’s only Jet2 pilots that feel the need to shout about their T&Cs and tell everyone how great their lives supposedly are. I believe “inferiority complex” is the polite term here.

Not sure what “rude financial health” means either, but Jet2’s latest financial report was pretty dire and they’re certainly the most exposed airline to potential fuel price increases, recession and inflation.
Funny how it's only you and a handful of other usual suspects who keep saying that.

I wonder why you don't like to hear that other pilots are perfectly happy?!

Chesty Morgan
31st Jul 2022, 04:15
3 or 4 working day week? You must be on the 757.

Jet2 is a good outfit no doubt about it and is probably is one of the better gigs for SH in the U.K. right now.

I don't think the 757 works that hard.

Jonty
31st Jul 2022, 07:11

Sometimes it’s done just to wind you up.

Lazydogg
1st Aug 2022, 07:14
So is paying for your own uniform, car park pass, sim time, line training, hotac, transport etc..

So is wanting to do 900 hours a year, living out of a suitcase in a different hotel each night, or spending days away from your family whilst shoving a delta pay cut (despite the excellently strong union?!) up your behind all because you want to say you work for a certain airline.

Each to their own though, I don't begrudge you for putting up with any of the above and if being a Ryanair trainer or telling people you're a BA pilot is enough for you to put up with it then good for you. If you're happy then so am I.

I don't work any weekends (every other Friday off), 152k/Yr. Glad you are happy for me. I am too. More than willing to put up with it.

santacruz
1st Aug 2022, 07:22
The title of this thread is “jet2 hold pool.”

if you want you can go and create another thread called “jobs that are better than jet2” elsewhere. 😉

Chesty Morgan
1st Aug 2022, 08:23
I don't work any weekends (every other Friday off), 152k/Yr. Glad you are happy for me. I am too. More than willing to put up with it.

Irish LCC
B738
Captain (Training/Checking and one or two ground duties)
UK
Roster: Weekends off
Total 2019: 570
Gross: £170k

Happy enough to take a 10%+ pay cut. Good for you 👍
Did your union sort that out for you?

Lazydogg
1st Aug 2022, 09:25
No. All my own choosing - I took on less responsibility (more family time) and therefore less money. And yet still- a better roster and a better salary than you.

Globally Challenged
1st Aug 2022, 10:26
No. All my own choosing - I took on less responsibility (more family time) and therefore less money. And yet still- a better roster and a better salary than you.

But who has the biggest todger? 😂😂

Chesty Morgan
1st Aug 2022, 10:34

🤣🤣 yep you can state that as an absolute fact having seen my roster and income 🙄

Chesty Morgan
1st Aug 2022, 10:35
But who has the biggest todger? 😂😂
It's definitely him. You can see it right on his forehead.

Lazydogg
1st Aug 2022, 11:36
🤣🤣 yep you can state that as an absolute fact having seen my roster and income 🙄

No but I can be fairly sure of it based on your previous post, where you wrote about your salary and how many weekends you have off in a row. I merely responded to it.
What a clown.....

excrab
1st Aug 2022, 12:48
As this thread is supposed to be about Jet2 recruitment let’s be honest, as a J2 captain on the 737 if you work 4 days a week they will invariably be Friday to Monday, although it’s possible to get most weekends off in the winter by creative use of requested days off and breaking your leave up. And if you’re a bog standard line captain after the latest pay rise you’ll earn at best £130k gross and probably a bit less, you’ll need to be a fairly senior trainer to be on £160k…. That’s what it is, if it means you can live in Newcastle or Leeds and have a cheaper house that’s fine, but don’t pretend it’s something it isn’t. I’m happy to earn less than some other companies because I don’t want to do four sector days with 35 minute turn arounds. But if you work less you earn a bit less, that’s how the world usually works.

KruegerFlappage
1st Aug 2022, 15:12

nope, application hasn't been past 1st stage yet. I think they are inundated with applications. Lucky enough to have a few recommendations so fingers crossed it will move forward.

Chesty Morgan
1st Aug 2022, 17:15
No
Exactly.

Anyway you go and enjoy your job and let us be happy in ours.

Lazydogg
1st Aug 2022, 19:04

Yes. Here is EXACTLY what you wrote.

Chesty Morgan
1st Aug 2022, 19:51
Yes. Here is EXACTLY what you wrote.
Income isn't the same as salary.

How's my roster looking?

AIMINGHIGH123
1st Aug 2022, 20:08
Wow definitely had the popcorn out reading this.

I will throw some more wood on the fire.

Have you added in teas/coffees full uniform costs etc etc.

I got a mate at BA 787 12 years in as FO and pre COVID most of his trips were Mon-Fri. Occasional weekend and is on around £130k.
EK FOs on £10k a month if you take the housing allowance as standard. That’s around £200k salary in UK.

Honestly you guys there’s not much in it. Both your salaries are pretty good.
Everyone’s circumstances are different. What’s horrible for one might be luxury to others.

Let’s get back to Jet2 now.

Wireless
1st Aug 2022, 21:44
Was going to say your friend was telling you serious porky pies to get anywhere near that after 13 years if he’s on 34PP scale, but then remembered .. the old 24 pay point scale :{.

3Greens
1st Aug 2022, 22:47
Was going to say your friend was telling you serious porky pies to get anywhere near that after 13 years if he’s on 34PP scale, but then remembered .. the old 24 pay point scale :{.

pp12 FO and earning £130k Must be doing a fair bit of overtime.

AIMINGHIGH123
2nd Aug 2022, 04:57
No he told me his take home most months is £6k. He might be on 24 scale actually I haven’t asked. This was pre covid around 2018.

I believe him when I have seen my best mates pay slips. His first year at BA 777 he didn’t earn less that £4500 every month with 2 months over £6k due to overtime. Made redundant unfortunately.

Lazydogg
2nd Aug 2022, 08:53
Income isn't the same as salary.

How's my roster looking?

You have the next 5 weekends off which would imply that you don't have the sixth. I'll be thinking of you when I'm watching Football Focus.

Chesty Morgan
2nd Aug 2022, 10:03
You have the next 5 weekends off which would imply that you don't have the sixth. I'll be thinking of you when I'm watching Football Focus.
Well that might be what you infer but certainly not what I imply. Besides weekends are overrated, busy and generally full of people so in fact I'd prefer to not have weekends off.

Have a gander at your crystal ball and check my roster inbetween weekends will you?

And perhaps being a football fan might go some way to explaining your lack of comprehension.

santacruz
2nd Aug 2022, 10:48
Please guys! back on topic!!

Lazydogg
2nd Aug 2022, 12:24
Well that might be what you infer but certainly not what I imply. Besides weekends are overrated, busy and generally full of people so in fact I'd prefer to not have weekends off.

Have a gander at your crystal ball and check my roster inbetween weekends will you?

And perhaps being a football fan might go some way to explaining your lack of comprehension.

​​​​​​Well ....we got there in the end. Perhaps weekends are only overrated for people that don't have much of a social life and maybe thats why you "prefer" to not have them off . I can assure you I don't lack any comprehension, I just responded to what you wrote. I also comprehended your brainless generalisation about football fans which sums up your idiotic rationale. It was also brainless for you to INFER that I'm a Football fan. I just enjoy watching a variety of sports with my kids, and Football happens to be one of them. Are you able to comprehend that? or is all getting a bit too much for you Chesty?

Anyway Jet2 : I know between 60-80 guys and girls there ranging from Captains, FOs DBPMs, BPMs, LTCs and TRIs ranging from mainly ex RYR and some BABY, Norwegian and Flydubai. The reactions are always mixed. Some being happy to be at the regional base of their choosing to others incessantly complaining about the brutal rosters in the summer and others in close proximity to LBA, endlessly being put in the sim as bodies. A lot also complain that the 3 RDOs are simply not enough to maintain an acceptable home and social life.
The majority of those 60-80 people I have trained from Cadet to Command/Training Captains and Jet2 are damn lucky to have them on their books. It's not for me due to the fact that they could never offer me the Renumeration/Work life balance and job security that I currently enjoy, but thats not to say it isn't for everyone. I hope people find that a balanced observation including Mr/Mrs bang His/Her Chesty the resident Jet 2 Ape.

Chesty Morgan
2nd Aug 2022, 13:03
Much better than your original "100% it's pathetic" post.

Well done.

Stone Cold II
2nd Aug 2022, 13:34
I’ve never heard a bunch of people so insecure. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

I have a week off every month and only work 12 days and have zero issues getting the days off I want. I wouldn’t trade that to work for anyone else.

Stop comparing dick sizes!

Twiglet1
2nd Aug 2022, 15:56
Lazydogg If you look through Chesty Morgan's 1000+ posts you'll see a trend - all responsible facts and info. Not always pro Jet 2 just giving readers facts so they could make educated decisions. Your coming across as a bit of a wayne kerr.

speed13ird
2nd Aug 2022, 18:22
To summarise, scheduled airlines give you a better roster and consequently you suffer micro management as the screws are turned in the name of efficiency. Charter airline management tend to be a little more understanding and respect one's efforts more as they pore over the fatigue reports.

Jet2 seem to be doing a good job.

there she blows
3rd Aug 2022, 00:35
Lazydogg If you look through Chesty Morgan's 1000+ posts you'll see a trend - all responsible facts and info. Not always pro Jet 2 just giving readers facts so they could make educated decisions. Your coming across as a bit of a wayne kerr.
takes a Wayne Kerr to call a wayne Kerr.!
Funny how a little twig calls a tre.
prize wayne Kerr.

there she blows
3rd Aug 2022, 00:45
To summarise, scheduled airlines give you a better roster and consequently you suffer micro management as the screws are turned in the name of efficiency. Charter airline management tend to be a little more understanding and respect one's efforts more as they pore over the fatigue reports.

quick question. Where do you get your weed.
At what point in your summaries do charter and schedule flying…..respect one’s efforts as they pore over fatigue reports.!
If you feel knackered now Adays. You call, file, and ask for down time.
One’s efforts to continue on regards are ohhhhh so held in such high esteem. What what.
on time performance. Do it. All in the best possible taste!

AIMINGHIGH123
3rd Aug 2022, 05:38

That’s a load of baloney.

It depends on the airline. I was talking with a RYR Fo few days ago and he said he got given 2 weeks off (not taken out of his leave allowance) because he had called fatigued and rolling roster was showing close to 900 hrs.
My previous scheduled outfit when I was in a similar situation they just said have an extra 2 days off.
From my experience charters are worse and if you don’t like it move on!!! “We can find someone else.”
I have worked at random roster and now fixed days off and for me fixed days off is much better. Having seen J2 rosters they look savage through summer, and to me a bit boring, ALC 5-7 days in a row. Ok J2 get more time off in winter, for me I would rather work through winter. It’s cold and nothing to do except sit at home waiting maybe to get called. Boring.

Some people will love that.
Each to there own.

ToCatLady
3rd Aug 2022, 11:47
The sooner Jet2 ramp up their interviews and selection the better. This thread has turned into a complete embarrassment.

Flying Wild
3rd Aug 2022, 11:49
Best solution if you can; spend the winter somewhere sunny; the key being a very nice optional winter off roster that jet2 used to offer - was it something like three months off for just a 10% reduction in pay or the like? Do they still offer this?

But yes, a winter roster full of standbys - I can't think of anything worse.

Currently offering:
85% contract variation: 3 months off between Nov and Mar. 85% salary spread over 12 months. Pension contributions based on 100% salary
90% contract variation: 2 months off between Nov and Mar. 90% salary spread over 12 months. Pension contributions based on 100% salary
'Buy one, get one free'. For example, 1 month off between Nov and Mar is given as 2 weeks paid, 2 weeks unpaid. Pension contributions based on 100% salary

easyboy22
3rd Aug 2022, 17:00
The sooner Jet2 ramp up their interviews and selection the better. This thread has turned into a complete embarrassment.

These people are supposed to be Professional pilots 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

TheFiddler
3rd Aug 2022, 22:17
That’s a load of baloney.
Having seen J2 rosters they look savage through summer, and to me a bit boring, ALC 5-7 days in a row.

Brutal / savage, sometimes yes. But 5 -7 days of ALC, never happens. Complete random roster and not normally more than 4/5 in 6 and then 3 days off.

But it really is horses for courses. What floats your boat may not float someone else's boat, so don't come on here saying how much better it is! What suits some people doesn't suit other people - don't try and say it is better or worse - it depends on your lifestyle, your point in life, your family circumstances, and your desire to fly. Never done more than 550 hours a year, some times as low as 320. Very few people in aviation I know get as much time to spend with their kids as I do. Suits me now - yes. Suit me in 10 years? Maybe not.

Now can we can please get back to this being a Jet2 Hold Pool Thread?

AIMINGHIGH123
4th Aug 2022, 10:16
Ok I agree what suits one doesn’t suit someone else but I was stating that ALC route as my mate sent me his roster. Yes it is summer so will be about as worse as it gets but man it looked tough. Comparison to my July. At RYR I had 15 days off in July flew 86 hrs. My mate flew 85 hrs but only 10 days off.
What I think should be mentioned is not flying hours but duty hours.
At my previous TP I regularly flew 75-80 hrs. Short 4 sector days. Duty time average was around 140 a month knocking on 160 a month in summer.
Duty hours in July at RYR 118 hrs. Yes the days can be long but man I feel so much fresher.

I would rather do a 25 min turnaround and get back in the air than sit on the ground in ALC MAH, etc for 40 mins plus.

I haven’t experienced J2 I admit but looking at the rosters for me personally it’s got a few more negatives. Summer not many days off and winter loads off when I would rather it was the other way around or a bit more balanced.

Positives salary/overall package is pretty good.
Part time options for those interested and they are quite open about offering those which is nice.

Not trying to have a dig but give my view. I sat down weighed up pros and cons asked guys/gals I know there.

My mate absolutely loves it at J2 and will probably be there forever even if summer is tough. Another mate of mine hated it and moved on after barely 2 years.

Flying Wild
5th Aug 2022, 13:58
Brutal / savage, sometimes yes. But 5 -7 days of ALC, never happens. Complete random roster and not normally more than 4/5 in 6 and then 3 days off.

But it really is horses for courses. What floats your boat may not float someone else's boat, so don't come on here saying how much better it is! What suits some people doesn't suit other people - don't try and say it is better or worse - it depends on your lifestyle, your point in life, your family circumstances, and your desire to fly. Never done more than 550 hours a year, some times as low as 320. Very few people in aviation I know get as much time to spend with their kids as I do. Suits me now - yes. Suit me in 10 years? Maybe not.

Now can we can please get back to this being a Jet2 Hold Pool Thread?

Well, then welcome to the new reality. 640 hours in the last 12 months and counting.

speed13ird
6th Aug 2022, 20:05
quick question. Where do you get your weed.
At what point in your summaries do charter and schedule flying…..respect one’s efforts as they pore over fatigue reports.!
If you feel knackered now Adays. You call, file, and ask for down time.
One’s efforts to continue on regards are ohhhhh so held in such high esteem. What what.
on time performance. Do it. All in the best possible taste!

you may have missed the irony

CaptainSpudGun
6th Aug 2022, 21:13
To get this thread back on topic.

Attended recruitment session previously. Really positive experience from the start with pretty transparent process. No contract, rejection or hold pool offer just yet but considering the sheer quantity of applicants (plus internal moves) I wouldn't say that is particularly unusual in a 'normal' year, let alone one recovering from a Pandemic. All bets are kinda off the table....

However, given that the intake is being done primarily in preparation for Summer 2023, and, when a candidate starts, the speed of training moves as 'considerable pace' (as described to me by folks who have been through the process), I'd wager it's still early days yet.

For context (and if you have been through the process please feel free to dispute the below) timeline is loosely:
Ground school: 2-3 weeks
Sim: 3-4 weeks
Circuits, Base training, Line Training: 5-6 weeks

So realistically the training segment could span 2.5 to 3 months, without including breaks in the training dept for Christmas If you're working for an airline currently you're probably on a 2-3 month notice period anyhow.

So total of 4.5 to 6 months lead time they may want to issue contracts and then have you fully line ready for the ramp up of the busy period.

If we called that start of the busy period March/April, with the 40 odd line sectors taking place in Jan/Feb/March, then hearing something in Sept/Oct at the very earliest wouldn't be totally unrealistic. And if it was for the peak of summer with the line training taking place in March/April/May then that becomes a call at some point before end of the year.

Maybe.

But again, many factors beyond just quantity of applicants, including desired base, TR or Non-TR.....

737 Jockey
7th Aug 2022, 11:45
After a couple of months my application doesn't appear to have even moved to stage 2 yet (TR DEC B737), which is fine, and possibly due to me not yet having a U.K. licence. However, it wouldn’t really hurt for them to at least acknowledge either there has been a huge amount of applications (which there obviously has) that they’re still working their way through, and if they’re prioritising U.K. licence holders. Would be good to have some sort of interim communication from Jet2, or a PFO if that is the case.

TheFiddler
7th Aug 2022, 15:23
I don't think it will be helping your chances if you don't have a UK Licence. Tough one.

From the Jet2 website:

"Successful candidates will possess a valid UK issued Pilots Licence"

and:Pilot LicencesJet2.com can only recruit Pilots who hold a UK issued Licence – that is either a full UK ATPL and Medical, or UK CPL (and Medical) with ATPL Exams passed (fATPL). Potential new joiners must therefore hold one of these licences to start an induction course. Whilst we may be able to communicate an intention to offer to non UK licence holders, no formal contract and offer will be provided without a UK licence.

EASA licence holders can immediately begin the process of licence conversion using the CAA channel set up for qualifying Pilots. This process is strictly time limited and new applications will not be considered after 31 December 2022. There is no firm guidance into the process of conversion after 31 December, so we strongly advise beginning this process without delay.

You will qualify for this route of conversion if you are:

An EASA licence holder whose date of initial licence was issued before 31 December 2020
An EASA licence holder who previously held a UK issued licence (Full UK ATPL and Medical, or UK CPL (and Medical) with ATPL Exams passed (fATPL) before 1 January 2021
An EASA licence holder who completed the transfer process from the UK before 31 December 2020, but whose EASA licence was issued on or after 1 January 2021

Please remember:

The UK CAA will not issue a UK Part-FCL licence if you do not hold a UK PART-MED certificate, with your medical records held on the UK records system
It is vital that you ensure that the AME who issues your UK PART-MED certificate is acceptable to the UK CAA – this particularly applies to AME’s registered outside of the UK

A320LGW
7th Aug 2022, 18:13
That doesn't, to me, read that your application will not be processed unless you have a UK license. Rather they just won't make you an offer until you have one, like BA.

The Flying Stool
7th Aug 2022, 19:03
It does mean that they aren't going to sit and wait for someone to get a UK License if they have enough applicants who already have one though.

ToCatLady
7th Aug 2022, 19:11
That’s assuming there are enough. Doesn’t sound to me like there is enough currently. Spread those applications across the three U.K. airlines currently hiring and I suspect there may be a lack of pilots who currently hold a full U.K. ATPL.

Some good rumours coming out of Jet2 is that over half the applications they received currently don’t meet their requirements.

ToCatLady
8th Aug 2022, 07:06
1,500 is still not a lot. Jet2 want circa 200, Virgin have announced they need over 250, BA sounds like it’s going to be at least a few hundred. (200 to start, 200 for a hold pool) DHL have and continue to take on quite a few Pilots too.

Spread over the next 12-24 months.

that is before EZY, FR and the rest of the U.K. market opens up. (we aren’t sure about TUI right now) and the start of the ME3 coming to your nearest airport selling the expat dream.

it’s going to get a little tight around the waist I suspect. Jet2 were pretty much the first ones to come knocking but since then things have progressed very slowly whilst the likes of Virgin have already started phases 2 & 3.

I think we have to be quite real and admit that since those 1,500 applications went in to jet2, they have slipped down the list of priority for many individuals who may now have noticed BA, Virgin, Emirates ect walk in to the bar.

not all, but many.

Alrosa
8th Aug 2022, 09:54
1,500 is still not a lot. Jet2 want circa 200, Virgin have announced they need over 250, BA sounds like it’s going to be at least a few hundred. (200 to start, 200 for a hold pool) DHL have and continue to take on quite a few Pilots too.

Spread over the next 12-24 months.

that is before EZY, FR and the rest of the U.K. market opens up. (we aren’t sure about TUI right now) and the start of the ME3 coming to your nearest airport selling the expat dream.

it’s going to get a little tight around the waist I suspect. Jet2 were pretty much the first ones to come knocking but since then things have progressed very slowly whilst the likes of Virgin have already started phases 2 & 3.

I think we have to be quite real and admit that since those 1,500 applications went in to jet2, they have slipped down the list of priority for many individuals who may now have noticed BA, Virgin, Emirates ect walk in to the bar.

not all, but many.

Far as I’m aware, J2, BA (mainline & low cost Gatwick aka Euroflyer), Virgin, DHL U.K., Ryanair, Wizzair, West Atlantic U.K. are currently actively recruiting for U.K. bases. Plenty of choice.

However with the current and projected cost of living and a very real possibility of a recession on the cards, it’s worth a think about where you’d really like to go, and which is likely to be the safest berth in a storm.

Having said that, none of us has a crystal ball, and I don’t have the accounts for any of those companies in my hands!

deltahotel
8th Aug 2022, 09:57
https://www.dpdhl.com/content/dam/dpdhl/en/media-center/investors/documents/presentations/2022/DPDHL-Presentation-Q2-2022.pdf

737 Jockey
8th Aug 2022, 10:03
I think Jet2 have woken up to the (probable) looming shortage of experienced U.K. CAA Licenced Pilots, who also have the right to live and work in the U.K. Those two factors will have a big impact on the amount of viable applications going forward.

Out of interest, and slightly off topic, how are easyJet dealing with the post Brexit situation? How are they rostering between U.K. licensed and EASA licensed crew, and between the G and OE registered aircraft?

ToCatLady
8th Aug 2022, 10:34
https://www.dpdhl.com/content/dam/dpdhl/en/media-center/investors/documents/presentations/2022/DPDHL-Presentation-Q2-2022.pdf

very evident DHL will be a very secure employer for the next few years. Air Cargo has done well, and will continue to do well even during a looming global recession.

Am I correct in saying DHL never laid off a Pilot in 2008 or during the pandemic (of course!)

deltahotel
8th Aug 2022, 10:40
Correct. No redundancies, furlough, pay reductions. Seemed very strange to keep working normally all the way through COVID in very quiet skies. Well, as normal as not being sure where the next meal could be sourced, multiple tests, knowledge of many national requirements allow for. Also while being well aware of how the rest of our industry was being torn to shreds.

Big Tudor
8th Aug 2022, 20:08
most they ever trained pre Covid was approx 120

120? Assume that’s a typo as the Winter 18-19 number was significantly higher than that!

GA F15
8th Aug 2022, 20:09
Unfortunately DHL don’t take NTR DEC, so you’d be back on FO wage of about £65k.

737 Jockey
8th Aug 2022, 21:20
Unfortunately DHL don’t take NTR DEC, so you’d be back on FO wage of about £65k.

A couple of Skippers left recently for RHS DHL
UK, with an anticipated upgrade as soon as six months. Could be a potentially good move if you want to be EMA based.

deltahotel
9th Aug 2022, 05:55
There have been/will be a small number of quick upgrades but I wouldn’t plan on it - plenty of existing talent too. Anyone joining now will be at the bottom of a rapidly growing DoJ list. Pay broadly similar to J2 I’d guess but not knowing all the details quite hard to compare. More FDP probably because trips are longer and fewer.

DHK is now a medium/long haul airline and the days of multiple short night sectors round Europe have gone. 767 is West to USA, East to BAH, BKK, HKG

Jonty
9th Aug 2022, 06:43
Anyone getting on the 777?

deltahotel
9th Aug 2022, 07:08
TR joiners only, but shortly to start moving existing pilots across.

RogueOne
9th Aug 2022, 09:02
A few people over here seem lost and need directions to a DHL thread.

roll_over
9th Aug 2022, 12:27
A few people over here seem lost and need directions to a DHL thread.

This forum is pretty quiet. I personally welcome any discussion. Check out some of the American forums and you will see pilots discussing and comparing different contracts, the exact opposite of here. In the UK finding terms and conditions of operators is pretty hard.

RogueOne
9th Aug 2022, 15:52
This forum is pretty quiet. I personally welcome any discussion. Check out some of the American forums and you will see pilots discussing and comparing different contracts, the exact opposite of here. In the UK finding terms and conditions of operators is pretty hard.

I welcome discussion, in it's proper place so it doesn't spam specific threads.

So we should embrace the anarchy of other forums and just discuss everything, everywhere? Let's just have 1 big group messageboard whilst we're at it.

It's very easy to find terms and conditions if you know where to look, use a search function, or just ask someone.

Check out some of the American forums

No thanks.

santacruz
19th Aug 2022, 10:14
Any NTR DEC hear anything yet?

still nothing here.

marcus1290
19th Aug 2022, 10:32
Very unlikely any DECs will be recruited, let alone NTR.

737 Jockey
19th Aug 2022, 11:12

Is that your opinion, or is that based on facts?

DCT_ELSIR
19th Aug 2022, 11:19
It’s pretty clear that something in Jet2’s plan has changed. They opened recruitment two and a half months ago, since then most people have heard absolutely nothing (with the exception of those with training qualifications). In the interim, several other airlines have opened recruitment and are progressing with interviews, I wonder how many of those people also had applications in with Jet2 and will now end up elsewhere?

PAPI-74
19th Aug 2022, 11:40
Has there been a delay with Airbus deliveries, stalling the need for Airbus experience?

santacruz
19th Aug 2022, 12:14

Not saying you’re wrong but they are still advertising for DEC & NTR. Surely they would at least take the ads down if that was the case?!

SpamCanDriver
19th Aug 2022, 15:12

Probably unlikely for the Airbus given they're a new operator and will likely want to bring in experience.

But I have been told directly by friends on the inside, that they prefer the right person over the type rating.

That being said I've not heard anything, was previously rated on both 737 & 757 but my ratings have expired

ToCatLady
19th Aug 2022, 15:37
It’s pretty clear that something in Jet2’s plan has changed. They opened recruitment two and a half months ago, since then most people have heard absolutely nothing (with the exception of those with training qualifications). In the interim, several other airlines have opened recruitment and are progressing with interviews, I wonder how many of those people also had applications in with Jet2 and will now end up elsewhere?

agreed. I suspect a revision on their required numbers or caution with the industry forecasts.

santacruz
19th Aug 2022, 16:09
I have seen the news in UK and it doesn’t look great.

But even in June we all knew that a big inflation rise was coming. Can things have changed that much since then? And why leave the ads up to this day?

Voeni
19th Aug 2022, 20:19
What's the chance for a non-UK DEC (with Airbus experience) to get hired? I know that fluent english is (obviously) a must, but other than that, do they tend to prefer locals?

santacruz
20th Aug 2022, 02:53
I believe you need the right to live and work in the UK. So that means UK or Irish passport, or visa/residency.

santacruz
20th Aug 2022, 02:56
Patience.

Last week they sent out the requirements for internal Airbus transfers and fleet plans moving forward. Cliff notes:

All 757s staying for next summer (which is a change to the original retirement plan, probably due to the extension of certain airframes life cycle with the lack of flying during Covid)

Requirement for initial Airbus transfer is previous Airbus experience for FOs and previous Airbus training experience for Captains, this is a significant change I would expect any Airbus DEC will require the same. 757 pilots will have internal priority for Airbus transfers once the retirements kick in, again this is a new but expected development.

Did they say anything about which bases Airbus will be going to?

Jonty
20th Aug 2022, 06:02
Did they say anything about which bases Airbus will be going to?

Manchester and Birmingham initially.

marcus1290
20th Aug 2022, 21:44
I know that at one point they were experiencing 1500 applications a day for 100-150 jobs, however I expect a lot of them are Non-UK Licence holders. If you're Airbus rated, you'll be of interest, especially a trainer. There is approx 30 command upgrades in the hold pool, all for winter course, only for 73 and 75. If you're looking for a DEC gig on either of those fleets, I wouldn't hold your breath. Airbus however, they'll be very interested as there has been no delays in the 321 order.

I know that assessments have taken / are taking place and some job offers have already gone out. I only know of NTR/TR 737 FOs being interviewed at the moment.

Alphamax1
21st Aug 2022, 05:27
Hi chaps ,
Long time lurker !
I did the assesment a few weeks ago (FO A321 Rated) , it was super fast from applying to getting the congrats call from Will . First of all is the online testing which tbh are MUCH easier than they used to be ! the personality questions are linked to what you will be asked in the interview .Group exercise was items in a log cabing and its on fire what would you take etc.... just dont be overpowering and listen. The interview was just 2 pilots no HR which was a breath of fresh air ! VERY laid back and is like having a chat with colleagues that I would love to have a day out with .
If you pass the interview then you get booked into the sim later that day. I did it on the 757-200 , I would highly recommend getting microsoft flight sim and getting used to the PFD/ND and the scans . Or if you can afford it go into an actual sim ! Just remember the pitch power is something to behold !! The sim guys are highly experienced and make you feel at ease during the process and will try and help when they can , they dont provide feedback .
I got the phone call the next day saying I passed "very well" and I was in a type rated airbus pool .
My only thought is how long until I get the call ? I havent got anything official saying im in the pool ..... which is slightly concerning

SpamCanDriver
21st Aug 2022, 16:51
Hi chaps ,
Long time lurker !
I did the assesment a few weeks ago (FO A321 Rated) , it was super fast from applying to getting the congrats call from Will . First of all is the online testing which tbh are MUCH easier than they used to be ! the personality questions are linked to what you will be asked in the interview .Group exercise was items in a log cabing and its on fire what would you take etc.... just dont be overpowering and listen. The interview was just 2 pilots no HR which was a breath of fresh air ! VERY laid back and is like having a chat with colleagues that I would love to have a day out with .
If you pass the interview then you get booked into the sim later that day. I did it on the 757-200 , I would highly recommend getting microsoft flight sim and getting used to the PFD/ND and the scans . Or if you can afford it go into an actual sim ! Just remember the pitch power is something to behold !! The sim guys are highly experienced and make you feel at ease during the process and will try and help when they can , they dont provide feedback .
I got the phone call the next day saying I passed "very well" and I was in a type rated airbus pool .
My only thought is how long until I get the call ? I havent got anything official saying im in the pool ..... which is slightly concerning

Congratulations AlphaMax!

And thanks for the feedback on the process

mesh
22nd Aug 2022, 12:29
I know that at one point they were experiencing 1500 applications a day for 100-150 jobs, however I expect a lot of them are Non-UK Licence holders. If you're Airbus rated, you'll be of interest, especially a trainer. There is approx 30 command upgrades in the hold pool, all for winter course, only for 73 and 75. If you're looking for a DEC gig on either of those fleets, I wouldn't hold your breath. Airbus however, they'll be very interested as there has been no delays in the 321 order.

I know that assessments have taken / are taking place and some job offers have already gone out. I only know of NTR/TR 737 FOs being interviewed at the moment.

are there definitely NTR interviews going on at present?

marcus1290
22nd Aug 2022, 22:06
are there definitely NTR interviews going on at present?

Yes. Have been for a few weeks, and still currently on going.

DCT_ELSIR
12th Sep 2022, 11:48
As the days since I applied are now measured in the hundreds and I have yet to receive any acknowledgement of my application, I wondered if anyone else is in the same boat? I’m guessing at this stage I should consider this a de facto PFO? NTR FO. Thanks for any info.

SpamCanDriver
12th Sep 2022, 13:12
As the days since I applied are now measured in the hundreds and I have yet to receive any acknowledgement of my application, I wondered if anyone else is in the same boat? I’m guessing at this stage I should consider this a de facto PFO? NTR FO. Thanks for any info.

You didnt receive the automatic acknowledgement?
Or are you talking about the quote from that email, that said they would be in touch within 4weeks?

No one I know has heard anything, including people who were previously in the hold pool.
I wouldn't write yourself off yet

DCT_ELSIR
12th Sep 2022, 13:14
Thanks spamcandriver. I did get the auto-acknowledgement but nothing beyond that. Thanks for the info.

KruegerFlappage
12th Sep 2022, 14:53

nothing here either. If they want people trained for next summer with 3 month notice periods and 3 month training (approx) I imagine things will move quick from October