PDA

View Full Version : Air Europa acquired by IAG

DanAir89
4th Nov 2019, 07:04
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-11-04/iag-agrees-to-buy-spanish-carrier-air-europa-for-1-1-billion

rog747
4th Nov 2019, 07:47
UX was saved in 1991 from the collapse of Air Europe's International Leisure Group (ILG)

From ILG to IAG

DanAir89
4th Nov 2019, 08:18
UX was saved in 1991 from the collapse of Air Europe's International Leisure Group (ILG)

From ILG to IAG

there’s also an irony that LGW based AE set out to take on BA and that eventually UX ends up part of BA like Dan Air, B Cal etc etc

the earnings figures for UX that are quoted are quite impressive - perhaps the only Spanish airline to have survived for so long without state assistance and ever been profitable (I think, although stand to be corrected, that it took BA’s intervention for IB to become profitable)

bcn_boy
4th Nov 2019, 08:48
Air Europa are a great airline, flew MAD to LIM. The problem now is under the IAG brand their quality will now be reduced.

PDXCWL45
4th Nov 2019, 08:59
Air Europa are a great airline, flew MAD to LIM. The problem now is under the IAG brand their quality will now be reduced.
Assuming IAG are allowed to complete the purchase. I'd have thought that there would be some sort of legal challenge to the purchase.

MDS
4th Nov 2019, 10:04
Assuming IAG are allowed to complete the purchase. I'd have thought that there would be some sort of legal challenge to the purchase.

UX/IB would have a virtual monopoly at MAD. No domestic competitors.

Same although a little less at BCN with UX/VY.

Mooncrest
4th Nov 2019, 10:35
Air Europa is certainly a rare survivor in Spanish airline history. TAE, Hispania, Spantax, Air Spain, Universair, Viva Air, LTE, Futura and so on. All gone.

rog747
4th Nov 2019, 11:25
Air Europa is certainly a rare survivor in Spanish airline history. TAE, Hispania, Spantax, Air Spain, Universair, Viva Air, LTE, Futura and so on. All gone.

Evelop is doing well - owned by Barcelo Hotels Group - They have a growing A330 and A350 fleet
And Wamos owned by Pullamtur

You forgot Aviaco Spanair Transeuropa Iberworld South Atlantic Centennial Nort Jet LAC Hola Oasis Air Plus Comet and a few more
(Tassa one of the first was long ago)

toledoashley
4th Nov 2019, 14:53
Maybe I could be wrong here, but Air Europa (or even Air Europe) strikes me as being a better pan-European brand than 'Level'.

SealinkBF
4th Nov 2019, 17:22

I don't think this has been the case with Aer Lingus...

Captain_Caveman
4th Nov 2019, 17:24
I can’t see how this will be approved by the EU without some hefty slot reallocation in MAD and BCN. IAG will own the three biggest Spanish airlines under this plan.

pabely
4th Nov 2019, 18:22
I can’t see how this will be approved by the EU without some hefty slot reallocation in MAD and BCN. IAG will own the three biggest Spanish airlines under this plan.
Being a Skyteam member I'm sure KLM/Air France will kick up in Brussels about this.

Bidule
5th Nov 2019, 06:02
Being a Skyteam member I'm sure KLM/Air France will kick up in Brussels about this.

Surely.... However, KLM/Air France/Transavia are in same position/case in AMS/CDG as well as Lufthansa/Eurowings/Germanwings(and others) are in FRA/MUC (at least).

PAXboy
10th Nov 2019, 23:20
If this goes through - any guesses as to the timescale??