PDA

View Full Version : Bombing Competitions

typerated
2nd Nov 2019, 18:07
I assume Bomb Comps are no more? Never seem to hear of them in Europe these days.
I can't remember anything since the Red Nose day competitions at Wainfleet, and they must have been over 20 years ago
Nor Nav Comps .

Goggle tells me that the USAF still do HawgSmoke

just another jocky
2nd Nov 2019, 18:12
Practicing the dropping of unguided munitions requiring the overflight of the target at low level no longer has any tactical relevance so I guess it is a pointless exercise.

They were good fun back in the day though.

typerated
2nd Nov 2019, 18:20
Practicing the dropping of unguided munitions requiring the overflight of the target at low level no longer has any tactical relevance so I guess it is a pointless exercise.

They were good fun back in the day though.

Fair call - but they don't need to be low level events. High angle strafe and dive bomb patterns still practiced somewhat.

More I was lamenting the lack of inter squadron/service competitions - beers and reputations at stake!

Pontius Navigator
2nd Nov 2019, 22:30
After the last Red Nose competition in 2001 we continued to have inter-sqn competition ftom Marham. I don't know the rules except that scores were not pasted in the air. The main reason competitions died out was the operational rotation and reduction in numbers of sqns.

Timelord
3rd Nov 2019, 10:43
I don’t think the RAF use any unguided munitions any more so it would have to be only strafe. They were good fun though, the main problem being getting the right event against the right target in the right order. Actually aiming the weapon was secondary!