PDA

View Full Version : China Info

Ned Kelly
2nd Nov 2019, 15:31
Can anyone point me in the direction of some study material for the Chinese ATPL exam?

How is it performed?

How many questions out of how large a data base?

What are the main subjects?

Any Info regarding the exam is highly appreciated.

brgds,
Ned Kelly

CW247
3rd Nov 2019, 10:00
That info is probably a bit old now and in need of a refresh...

Do not fall into the trap of "studying" for it. Most people who do that, end up failing quite badly. There are some books on the Chinese ATP but the one I know is 15 years old now. The questions on the day will be overwhelmingly of the Chinglish variety. That is to say very bad translations of questions from an FAA question bank but increasingly they are writing their own questions also of the very bad English variety. The best thing to do is get a hold of a subscription or buy a Test Prep software. Most agencies recommend and even provide you with a free account to use with: https://www.feizhiyi.com (https://www.feizhiyi.com/)but it's in Chinese although they provide an English "manual" for you to use to navigate your way around. If you use Google Chrome you can get built in translation which is very helpful. There is also a software you can buy by a company called Dauntless. Most say their questions are out of date but the company claims to have the latest (don't know as of when).

How is it performed? The test is delivered to you by a computer screen at one of the CAAC's testing centers. You have about 3 hours (I think) to complete the test and can skip/return/navigate around the question.

How many questions out of how large a data base? 100 questions, pass mark is 70%. Feizhiyi has about 3000 questions in it's database.

What are the main subjects? Everything as per any other ATP exam. They like to concentrate on Law and Performance based on my experience. On the day, you'll get a big binder with lots of charts and data you will need to refer to in order to answer questions.

Good luck

bringbackthe80s
3rd Nov 2019, 10:50
Sounds like a nightmare 🤦🏼*♂️

Ned Kelly
3rd Nov 2019, 13:11
CW247, Thanks for the info it´s much appreciated.

Cedrus, thansk for your comment. If you don´t like the question you don´t have to reply.
I appologize if I've upset you in any way.
There are may threads in pprune, some with up to 10.000 replies to sift through to find the info (I've tried)
If every new thread should have been a search then this forum would soon grind to a hold.
This is my second post in this forum since joining in 2006, let me assure you, I've done quite a number of searches in that time.
I've done just fine as an expat for more than 20 years, thanks for your concern, and thanks for suggesting that I won't make it as an expat.
Brings to mind an aircraft owner that scolded me many years ago for not wanting to fly for him for free, and telling me I'd never make it in this industry.
I took pleasure in him applying for an F/O position 10 years later in a company where I was flying as CPT on the B737. He didn't get the job, and I
had nothing to do with it, as I don't get involved in things that aren't my business.
In this case though I should probably just heed my own advice, and just not reply to something that really warrants no reply.

brgds

Cptwoop
15th Nov 2019, 07:09
Hi everyone.
Hoping to get some info on the medical for China. After 40 you have to do a MRI and that’s the only part that’s getting to me. I’ve had one done before and it felt claustrophobic as hell...! So that’s messing with my mind a little...
any options to do a CT scan instead or get knocked out for the MRI? Is the MRI a thin tube or wide tube..? Your input and experiences would be of a great help. I’ll be going to Beijing to do the MRI middle of December.

cheers to all

Count von Altibar
15th Nov 2019, 12:37
They do MRI, don't do a CT scan. Unnecessary radiation, always avoid unless unavoidable.

FalseGS
15th Nov 2019, 16:39
Something you're gonna have to deal with, unfortunately. They won't let you opt out of it. Shanghai is thin tube. Close your eyes and take long deep breaths. That's what got me through it.

Good luck.

BoeingDriver99
19th Nov 2019, 02:26
There’s an app on iOS called “Chinese ATPL Pilot Exam Prep”. Has over 4,000 questions and provides explanations to the answers. You can create your own exams etc and bring it with you and study wherever/whenever. Got me through it handily enough.

And there’s no point “studying”; do the questions over and over until you recognise the answers as some don’t make sense due to translations. I probably put about 6 weeks of moderate effort into it and you realllllly don’t want to have to redo it. Guy with me scored 69%...

fuelsurvey
19th Nov 2019, 12:07
. Guy with me scored 69%...

I scored exactly 70%. That’s what I would consider a perfect score. Didn’t study a minute more than necessary.