View Full Version : How much emphasis on "currency"

Q Feel
23rd Apr 2001, 13:53
Does anyone know how much emphasis a potential employer places on the status of your instrument rating? Are you considered a greater training risk if you allow your rating to lapse?

I realise that an employer has to instrument rate you on the relevant aircraft type anyway, but do they deem you 'un-committed' if you aren't current?

Renewal time has come around very quickly, and at a bit of an arid financial point!!

AffirmBrest
23rd Apr 2001, 16:14
I wouldn't have thought airlines would consider commitment (or lack of) from looking at your IR status.

If I were about to pay lots of money to put a low-hour pilot on a difficult flying training course, and I can choose between someone who hasn't flown for a year(example) and someone who has, who would I pick?

That said, if you got to interview and your CV didn't mention your IR status then a lapse on financial grounds ought to be considered reasonable, if questioned.

I suppose I dunno really. G'luck!

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

RVR800
23rd Apr 2001, 18:05
I reckon it depends on the type of aircraft
you are going onto

It its HS748 - Emerald its mega important
If its Glass cockpit sidestick then less so?

Comment?

xyz_pilot
24th Apr 2001, 15:49
Mega Mega important.

First you need to do well in a sim test, then you need to pass the aircraft course.

Both are much much more difficult if your not current on instruments. If you are looking for that difficult first airline job you need to look like you are low training risk.

In my opinion if you are not flying on instruments as for a job you need to do regular time a sim with an instructor there to make you work hard (ie each month). You need to get some sort of paperwork to show at an interview to prove you are doing what
you can to stay current.

If you were the chief pilot would you take the one thats current or the one that says
they will be OK in the sim?

xyz_pilot
24th Apr 2001, 16:20
Mega Mega important.

First you need to do well in a sim test, then you need to pass the aircraft course.

Both are much much more difficult if your not current on instruments. If you are looking for that difficult first airline job you need to look like you are low training risk.

In my opinion if you are not flying on instruments for a job you need to do regular time a sim with an instructor there to make you work hard (ie each month). You need to get some sort of paperwork to show at an interview to prove you are doing what you can to stay current.

If you were the chief pilot would you take the one thats current or the one that says
I'll be OK in the sim?

[This message has been edited by xyz_pilot (edited 24 April 2001).]