PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream III safety record

WeekendFlyer
31st Oct 2019, 21:55
I used to fly a lot as part of my job, and happily so. I also had a PPL, now lapsed, and about 500hrs flight time on various types. However, I have found that since having a family my attitude to risk has changed and I am much more cautious about flying these days.

As part of my job I am soon to fly in a G3 a few times and I was wondering what its safety record was like? From a quick look online I get the impression it is a very safe aircraft and most G3 accidents have been due to operational factors (eg takeoff or landing accidents, or CFIT) rather than anything to do with the aircraft itself.

Any G3 experts care to comment? I would be glad of some responses. Many thanks.

WF

givdrvr
31st Oct 2019, 23:40
Relax and enjoy your cocktail...the major GIII fatal accidents have been attributed to human error, not the aircraft. You can review the data below while sipping.

​​​​​​https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/Results.aspx?queryId=d66ad691-61d5-4a09-9ce7-9ff5441180a6

https://aviation-safety.net/database/types/Gulfstream-Aerospace-G-1159-Gulfstream/database

skylimey
1st Nov 2019, 03:56
Well the GIIIs I used to fly had the same steam instruments as the Jetstar at the Elvis museum at Graceland.... But the airplane was really well built and the engines used to sound great..... I’m surprised there are any airports that let them land due to noise, even with the hush kits....

OTOH those engines would take the GIII high and far, for it’s time.

Sky

Klimax
1st Nov 2019, 08:55
I used to fly a lot as part of my job, and happily so. I also had a PPL, now lapsed, and about 500hrs flight time on various types. However, I have found that since having a family my attitude to risk has changed and I am much more cautious about flying these days.

As part of my job I am soon to fly in a G3 a few times and I was wondering what its safety record was like? From a quick look online I get the impression it is a very safe aircraft and most G3 accidents have been due to operational factors (eg takeoff or landing accidents, or CFIT) rather than anything to do with the aircraft itself.

Any G3 experts care to comment? I would be glad of some responses. Many thanks.

WF

As mentioned, the aircraft type in question is a safe one. What your concern should be focused at, with regards to the safety of the flights you’re about to embark on, is really the operational side of it, and ultimately you can just take a good look and have a chat with the pilots of the plane and get a first impression - you’re looking for attitudes. Is it a “one pilot show” relying on a supply of freelancers for flights (cheap ops and red flags) etc. It’s really not about the plane - it’s about the folks in the pointy end of it who’s carrying the risk. Just my opinion.

WeekendFlyer
4th Nov 2019, 22:09
Thank you for the responses, really useful. Sadly my flight won’t include any cocktails but it is with a reputable and long-established operator, so I’m sure it will be fine.

cujet
4th Nov 2019, 23:13
I've been a fly along mechanic on GIII aircraft for various companies. I would go along on the overseas trips. Bottom line, they are truly fantastic aircraft. The later model GIII's (AC GIII) have many of the same systems as the absolutely stellar Gulfstream GIV. Including flight control components, variable frequency generators and electrical converters. They are very well designed and refined over the years with an active program of "customer (service) bulletins" to address common issues.

Klimax
7th Nov 2019, 15:31
Thank you for the responses, really useful. Sadly my flight won’t include any cocktails but it is with a reputable and long-established operator, so I’m sure it will be fine.

that's great. enjoy it an relax then!