PDA

View Full Version : QF Darwin to Alice Springs Route

Alice Kiwican
27th Oct 2019, 20:37
I find it interesting that after 6-7 months ( csn’t remember exactly) QF looks like they have replaced 2x B737 a day services on the Darwin/Alice route with 2x Network F100 a day services? I thought the idea was to replace the B717’s to increase capacity not decrease to F100’s!
Hmmmm......,.,.,

Lapon
27th Oct 2019, 21:20
Speculation has it the NT government sent money QF way for the busy season to increase capacity. It was completely unnecessary of course but that's local government for you.
Who really knows, but a B717 was overkill for the route so it is hard to see how a B737 would improve anything.

Check_Thrust
27th Oct 2019, 21:37
B737 replaced the B717 on DRW - ASP from the 31st of March 2019
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-northern-territory-network-changes/
In response to feedback from local businesses, government and the tourism industry, flights between Alice Springs and Darwin will be upgraded from a B717 to a B737 aircraft, an increase of up to 1,300 seats per week on the route. The change means customers will have the option to travel in Business Class and introduce inflight entertainment, including fast, free WiFi on selected flights.

In June, two and a half months after the B737 DRW - ASP service commenced:
The new route has been made possible with the introduction of F100 aircraft on flights between Darwin and Alice Springs* while maintaining a double daily frequency for the majority of the year to better match existing and forecasted demand on the route.

The larger Boeing 737 aircraft which has operated on the route for the past two months has proven to be bigger than needed. The F100 is closer in size to the Boeing 717 which operated on the route until recently.
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/flying-tourism-boost-for-the-territory/

topend3
27th Oct 2019, 23:21
They are also starting BME-DRW which comes about from the need to rotate the F100s back to PER.

Alice Kiwican
28th Oct 2019, 03:58
Well there you go. I guess the self loading freight will now be able to compare like for like with QF/Network and VA/Skywest F100 services. Interesting comparison if WA flights are anything to go by.

wheels_down
28th Oct 2019, 04:21
Virgin still majority runs a 737 DRW-ASP-ADL

Colonel_Klink
28th Oct 2019, 08:39
Virgin still majority runs a 737 DRW-ASP-ADL

I would suggest that as the wet season approaches, that pairing will become majority F100 operated.

Alice Kiwican
28th Oct 2019, 09:50
I think you’ll find the VA 737 only runs on Mondays and always has done as far as I kniw

...think or thwim
29th Oct 2019, 03:45
In my opinion the 717 base closure was a tactical one to reduce costs because of existing EBA contracts within the cabin crew ranks (mostly on old NJS contracts that was costing them too much), along with under utilised tech crew as there had to be 10 in total.

With network running the F100's they could reduce costs and utilise the excess 717s to operate on the east coast to relieve 737 flying. Will be interesting to see how the fokkers handle the heat in the upcoming season...

topend3
29th Oct 2019, 05:00
Do F100 struggle in the heat? Thought all the other WA ports they go to they don't have issues there with the heat, and they would be no cooler in summer than ASP.

Transition Layer
29th Oct 2019, 11:36
Do F100 struggle in the heat? Thought all the other WA ports they go to they don't have issues there with the heat, and they would be no cooler in summer than ASP.

Not to mention the fact that the runway at ASP is a bit longer than a lot of the WA strips, with comparable elevation

tio540
29th Oct 2019, 12:40

Just a small thing called elevation, and DH.

Alice Kiwican
29th Oct 2019, 23:09
Just a small thing called elevation, and DH.

Alice Springs is pretty much the same elevation and DH as Newman WA for example and the F100 has been running in and out of there for years. Alliance have been running into Alice for awhile now too and I don’t think they have any issues payload wise

Blueskymine
30th Oct 2019, 00:22
The fokkers have been running around the boondocks of Australia for years. Regularly in the Pilbara it’s 48 degrees in the shade and many strips are around the 1000m elevation mark.

The biggest threat in Darwin is ATC :)

RU/16
30th Oct 2019, 00:58
Just because a flight is scheduled from a particular port doesn’t mean it is operating to capacity. I hear that the flights out of the hot high parts in WA are operated on a restricted seat basis. Alice springs on a hot day with 60 holding in Darwin May not have 100 seats available.

tio540
30th Oct 2019, 11:40
Alice Springs is pretty much the same elevation and DH as Newman WA for example and the F100 has been running in and out of there for years. Alliance have been running into Alice for awhile now too and I don’t think they have any issues payload wise

Can’t argue with that technical response.

Icarus2001
31st Oct 2019, 03:16
Got to love progress.

B717 to B737 to now a thirty year old F100 with no IFE.

With great fanfare a new route....DWN-BME also in a thirty year old F100.

Capn Bloggs
31st Oct 2019, 05:18
I am reliably informed that the first BME-DRW flights were made by WA Airways in the `30s. :ok: