View Full Version : R44 Down Red Rock Nevada

nomorehelosforme
26th Oct 2019, 20:18
This accident happened on Wednesday, sadly the pilot was died and passenger/student is critical, looking at the pictures on the news report I’m surprised anyone survived.

The news report includes comments from an “aviation expert “ journalist, I don’t proclaim to be an expert but think some genuine professionals on here might have some comments of their own....

https://news3lv.com/news/local/flight-instructor-involved-in-red-rock-helicopter-crash-was-experienced-records-show

https://news3lv.com/news/local/crews-respond-to-helicopter-crash-near-red-rock-canyon

Robbiee
26th Oct 2019, 21:21
Best to just wait for the report.

https://youtu.be/6lhsWJVcO3Q

nomorehelosforme
26th Oct 2019, 22:34
More details attached.

https://helihub.com/2019/10/23/23-oct-19-n225jm-robinson-r44-las-vegas-us-nevada-1f/

Gordy
27th Oct 2019, 00:19
Best to just wait for the report.

Nah, this is a rumor site....please speculate.

nomorehelosforme
27th Oct 2019, 00:42
Nah, this is a rumor site....please speculate.

Gordy thank you, this is what I was hoping to encourage with this thread, for once not aimed at Robinson but more at the comments of the aviation expert journalist!

Lets start with his comment about the R44 been the most popular aircraft, rotary or fixed wing ever sold.....

Then quotes “ the speed is pretty good” .......

Shall comment no further.

Gordy
27th Oct 2019, 06:14
Gordy thank you, this is what I was hoping to encourage with this thread, for once not aimed at Robinson but more at the comments of the aviation expert journalist!

Exactly----as I stated once before:

As far as I am concerned....rumor network it is...Condolences to the family etc...yada yada yada......

Maybe we can all speculate and LEARN...... funny how when ever there is a fatality in the UK...you people all want to wait for the AIIB or whatever it is called...yet have an accident on this side of the pond and you are all over it...

If ever I die in an accident...please feel free to speculate and ask questions.... Please feel free to learn from my demise....if it turns out I was stupid...and someone learns to not follow my lead...then my loss is their gain....

Let the speculation continue.....with all due respect.

I have not flown a Robinson in over 20 years and really should not comment on this one....

Robbiee
27th Oct 2019, 15:15
Better to learn from facts then speculation.

Bell_ringer
27th Oct 2019, 15:20
Only those who are afraid of hearing things they won't like discourage speculation.

Very little left of that aircraft in what appears to be fairly open terrain.

Gordy
27th Oct 2019, 15:48
Better to learn from facts then speculation.

If you think ALL the facts come out in an accident report then you have a lot to learn.

Example: Fact, (not this incident but generic), this is what the reports state: "aircraft contacted terrain in IMC conditions, the pilot was not IFR rated". Yeah, what do we learn---nothing. The speculation as to why a pilot chose to fly in such conditions is where the meat and potatoes comes in. Speculation and rumor, if read by the right people, "may" prevent another PVT non-IFR rated pilot do such a thing.

Sorry to be blunt, but: please carry on speculating----if one cannot handle it, get off the bus.

Robbiee
27th Oct 2019, 18:49
If you think ALL the facts come out in an accident report then you have a lot to learn.

Example: Fact, (not this incident but generic), this is what the reports state: "aircraft contacted terrain in IMC conditions, the pilot was not IFR rated". Yeah, what do we learn---nothing. The speculation as to why a pilot chose to fly in such conditions is where the meat and potatoes comes in. Speculation and rumor, if read by the right people, "may" prevent another PVT non-IFR rated pilot do such a thing.

Sorry to be blunt, but: please carry on speculating----if one cannot handle it, get off the bus.

Yes, speculation on the pilot's motives AFTER the facts have been laid out!

Gordy
28th Oct 2019, 02:19
Yes, speculation on the pilot's motives AFTER the facts have been laid out!

Tell me ANY facts that would preclude a healthy discussion?

You do realize the name of this website right? Professional Pilot RUMOR Network...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/231x80/pplogonew3_a5e0384c647015bfc66a1588ed57b8147470c5df.gif

It is voluntary and you are not required to read a thread, but don't try to prevent those who wish to participate from posting. I assure you there will be nothing distasteful allowed to remain, and everyone will be respectful.

Robbiee
28th Oct 2019, 02:40

You do realize the name of this website right? Professional Pilot RUMOR Network...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/231x80/pplogonew3_a5e0384c647015bfc66a1588ed57b8147470c5df.gif

It is voluntary and you are not required to read a thread, but don't try to prevent those who wish to participate from posting. I assure you there will be nothing distasteful allowed to remain, and everyone will be respectful.

Yeah, I suppose facts are overrated in today's world.

Proceed with your pointless speculations and rumours, then place bets on who got it right when the "facts" come in. :ok:

Bell_ringer
28th Oct 2019, 18:33
Yeah, I suppose facts are overrated in today's world.

Proceed with your pointless speculations and rumours, then place bets on who got it right when the "facts" come in. :ok:

The problem with light aircraft accidents, especially Robinson’s, is that there are normally two facts, one that they took off with a purpose in mind, and the other that they didn’t make it home again.
The middle facts are hard to determine and are seldom found in a report.
From a learning perspective, that does not leave much.

Two's in
28th Oct 2019, 22:17

As Gordy suggests, critical facts are often missing following an accident, so "speculation" is often required to full the gaps. (Just how speculative the speculation is depends on the experience and knowledge of the speculator). The aim of the exercise is to avoid a repetition of the accident, not protect fragile egos. Anecdotal evidence is often used to build a profile of unfortunate aviators by inquiry teams, were they risk takers, were they professional, did they follow rules when the opportunity for doing otherwise presented itself.

I am definitely not a fan of needlessly desecrating the reputation of a deceased aviator (insert Daily Mail article here...), but every time you sign out and take off, if the worst happens, you are liable to external scrutiny that will determine whether on the day you screwed up or not. It's a bit late to check the "no publicity" box when you have just made your own smoking hole.

mickjoebill
29th Oct 2019, 01:25
We learn that this is another r44 accident, post mandatory fuel bladder retrofit, without a conflagration and where a passenger survived the impact.

mjb