PDA

View Full Version : Visiting ATC???

spudskier
9th Aug 2002, 04:20
I'm an Aviation Student, and in everything I do I like to see all sides of how things work, gives me a better picture of the whole industry and I think makes me better at what I'm doing if I can understand where everyone else is coming from and their needs in relation to mine...

to get to the point, can one visit ATC be it a local tower, a TRACON, or an ARTCC? or since sept 11th is this off limits? I'd love to even get a taste of what ATC does.

I don't mean to turn up the "you gotta be kiddin me with this" factor, but I am very curious about ATC even though I know I want to be a pilot.

Who knows, maybe it could make me a better pilot in the long run to know how ATC operates, how they see things, etc...

If one can get a visit to a facility, how do I got about it? Contact the local FAA branch? The Airport? I know we're getting a new tower here in Columbus (KCMH) I'd love to see that after everything is up and working.

Thnx for your time.

FWA NATCA
9th Aug 2002, 16:11
Spudskier,

To arrange a visit to your local US Air Traffic Control Facility call the facility in advance and talk to the manager and request to set up a visit to the facility. Only the facility manager may approve a visit by a non FAA employee.

Mike