PDA

View Full Version : A320 and the Bush Saw

David Rayment
22nd Oct 2019, 22:49
Flew A320 from Berlin (Tegel) to Manchester the other day and as we were getting ready to leave the aircraft there was a sound coming from the center section rather like sombody using a bush saw on the underbody. Since we did not clip any trees on finals I am eager to know what particular piece of mechanism it was. The noise went on for at least a minute and since nobody showed the slightest interest in it I assumed it was 'normal'. We also had a similar noise before engine start at Manchester. It sounded rather like a screw jack but the flaps were not moving.

David

S.o.S.
23rd Oct 2019, 01:45
Hello, if you search the forum for Airbus Power Transfer Unit - you will get your answer. Also known as the Barking Dog and all was normal.

Saint-Ex
23rd Oct 2019, 12:18
Absolutely right. It`s a check during engine start but not audible on the latest aircraft.

Leecj1
24th Oct 2019, 08:14
Absolutely right. It`s a check during engine start but not audible on the latest aircraft.
Wrong on the 2nd part! I read about the dog not being audible on NEO on another site a while back. Delighted to have been on A321N G-UZME back
in May LGW-RHO. After pushback, the dogs were definitely barking loud and clear on start up and initial taxi out. Was sat overwing 19A.

Davef68
25th Oct 2019, 11:57
And in my expereince you hear it most on close down

India Four Two
25th Oct 2019, 22:23
Yes, I've heard it most often while standing in the aisle, waiting to disembark. It sounds exactly like someone sawing the main spar in half!

Tocsin
26th Oct 2019, 17:43
Explanatory article just published on the Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/why-airbus-planes-sometimes-bark/

S.o.S.
26th Oct 2019, 17:59
Thanks Tocsin but it is already in our 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum. I have updated the entry to reference the dog and saw. Here is the referenced thread from 2008 Strange Noises (https://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/327761-strange-noises-heard-various-aircraft-what-they.html)