PDA

View Full Version : Studying for the ATPL exams before PPL.

Thakis
22nd Oct 2019, 20:39
Hi,

I'm interested in becoming a professional pilot. I'm currently serving in the military and I will be for another 8 months. While it's not possible to start flight training at this point, I do have at least 5 hours a day to devote to studying. So I thought about getting some ATPL books and save me some time later. Do you think I should do it without having any previous flying experience? Will I be able to fully understand everything? I don't just want to pass the exams to be honest, but to really learn.

Thank you.

paco
23rd Oct 2019, 06:30
There is some merit in doing that, and we have done it with military students, but you could start studying the PPL subjects in depth, as you will meet them again later anyway. Also brush up on basic physics and maths. It really depends on whose ATP notes you start reading. Don't use the Jeppesen/Peters software stuff.

Buy one get one free
23rd Oct 2019, 07:21
If the modular route is your chosen path, contact the flying club where you intend to do your PPL. Distant learning(?) and complete those written exams once available to sit them.
Then the PPL flying. Then ATPL groundschool .....

Thakis
24th Oct 2019, 12:39
Thank you all.

I will go modular and distance learning, yes. It sounds good to start with the PPL theory but to be honest I haven't decided yet whether I will do it in the US or Europe. So I'm searching for something that will benefit me for both options and in this case it's the ATPL theory since I will still have to sit the exams regardless of where I will train.

And I am actually considering your ATPL book paco along with Bristol.

Crob
5th Nov 2019, 14:51
Good evening everyone, first-time poster and in a very similar situation to Thakis. I've got until December 2020 in the military.

Feel free to criticize/voice opinions but would it not make sense to do the ATPLs before the PPL? The CAA website says that ATPLs can be sat before the PPL as long as you're recommended to do so by an FTO. In addition, am I right in understanding that the ATPLs will negate the need to sit the PPL exams?

I'm looking at doing the ATPLs over the next year until release from the military then sit the PPL/NR/HourBuilding/ME/IR/CPL as a one'er... what're your thoughts?

Crob

Mustapha Cuppa
5th Nov 2019, 19:15
The CAA website says that ATPLs can be sat before the PPL as long as you're recommended to do so by an FTO.

Can you provide a link to the web page where this is stated?

paco
6th Nov 2019, 05:33
Yeah, please - it would save me a lot of work :)

parkfell
6th Nov 2019, 07:07
Can you provide a link to the web page where this is stated?

On what are called ‘Integrated Courses’ the 14 easa exams can be completed before turning a propeller, and yet the modular route requires a PPL to be completed before ATPL GS. Is this still the case?

What was the original logic and reasoning for the modular requirement to complete a PPL?

flying.scotsman1
6th Nov 2019, 10:34
As far as I know you can start an integrated course, pass all ATPL exams, drop out and start modular without having to do the PPL theory. All ATO for modular ATPL theory require a PPL. You certainly wouldn't save money by joining an integrated course with the intention of dropping out just to skip the PPL theory, compared to just completing the PPL and ATPL exams.

Duchess_Driver
6th Nov 2019, 11:50
Our integrated ATPL(TK) proration is 767hours and the DL/Modular (for which any ICAO Annex 1 PPL is a pre-requisite) is only 650. The difference is the PPL level theory.