PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sdrn Ldr Edgar Pickles

SIUYA
21st Oct 2019, 16:49
Sad to tell everyone who knew Pick, that he's fired up the donks and has departed on his final 'mission'.

He was an absolute legend WWII in the RAF on Lancasters, ending up with DFC and Bar for his efforts ...... he and his Navigator 'Mac' made a formidable pair at gatherings).

Pick will be sadly missed

RIP

Kulwin Park
22nd Oct 2019, 11:51
Funny guy, I think he had an old V-tail Bonanza that he left out in a paddock in NSW somewhere.

V-Jet
22nd Oct 2019, 12:49
interesting. I have been told in the early ‘70’s first hand tales of airliners being ‘bounced’ in country NSW by a P-51. Before reading this I’d thought it fanciful, if not made up.

https://sportaircraft.org.au/aircrft-galleries/stories/behind-the-barr/

SIUYA
22nd Oct 2019, 14:54
Kulwin Park......

The Bonanza was parked besides Pick's house on his farm near Barham. :ok:

Kulwin Park
23rd Oct 2019, 11:34
Kulwin Park......

The Bonanza was parked besides Pick's house on his farm near Barham. :ok:

That was it !! I always wanted to buy it off him. I have heard many rumours about his P-51 days, and some night-time activity scaring people.
My family told me of a P-51 upside in a dam in country NSW somewhere, when there was an engine failure, and on roll-out on forced landing, jack knifed and ended up in a dam. It could be seen by air on real sunny days. Unsure if that was Ed's though?

Horatio Leafblower
24th Oct 2019, 03:46
interesting. I have been told in the early ‘70’s first hand tales of airliners being ‘bounced’ in country NSW by a P-51. Before reading this I’d thought it fanciful, if not made up.

https://sportaircraft.org.au/aircrft-galleries/stories/behind-the-barr/
Thanks for that V-Jet!
I know Annie Barr pretty well I thought but I never knew she knew Pickles until I saw his death mentioned on her Facebook page.

Clinton McKenzie
24th Oct 2019, 20:25
I had the honour of sitting across the table from SQN LDR Pickles (DFC with Bar) at the Deniliquin Aero Club Anzac Day dinner in 2016. He was a bit physically frail but still very sharp, mentally. He enjoyed a few beers and a red. One (tiny) thing we had in common was our V-tailed Bonanzas.

He told me some stories about his exploits in the P51, burning around mid-western NSW. He said he’d purchased it and rued the fact that he could have purchased more and sold them at a very tidy profit (he knew the contemporary market value of a P51). However, my understanding from corro with Bill Pike is that there was some controversy around who owned the beast.

Until that night I didn’t know that he’d flown 50 missions over Europe, when the average ‘life expectancy’ of bomber crews was 13 missions.

Stationair8
25th Oct 2019, 08:15
Always sad when we lose these great Australian characters.

Imagine the uproar in today’s pc world, if you arrived back in Australia from an overseas tour of duty with some piece of illegally gained military equipment.