PDA

View Full Version : Is an EASA Type rating checkride valid as a FAA Flight review?

AviatorKLGB
20th Oct 2019, 21:38
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am a FAA ATPL holder, and FAA CFI, CFII and MEI. (which isn't really relevant)
I am also an EASA ATP holder with current Type rating on a Falcon 7X, which also happens to be what I do for a living, meaning I do a full LPC/OPC every 6 months.

My question - Is my EASA Falcon 7X LPC (being an ICAO licence proficiency check-ride) valid as a FAA flight review? I know that the FAA recurrent does make you exempt from flight review. The New York FSDO told me in the past, that the JAA Type rating exam and recurrent does make you exempt from FAA FR requirements however, that was a long time ago.

Any thoughts?
TIA

B2N2
20th Oct 2019, 23:50
Tell me, does an FAA type rating count as an EASA ME-IR renewal?

No?

Didn’t think so.
Why do you expect the opposite to be the case?

Link has highlighted items.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.56

Authorized Instructor or Examiner need to be FAA certificated/authorized.
A rating would need to be an FAA type rating.

If and only if your type rating examiner is dual qualified so both an EASA and an FAA examiner could he sign off on a Flight review but it would need to be a separate logbook annotation as the type rating itself does not qualify as it is not a rating on your FAA certificate.

AviatorKLGB
21st Oct 2019, 03:40
B2N2, I thank you tremendously for your well educated reply.
"does an FAA type rating count as an EASA ME-IR" --- I thank you for the counter question but it doesn't really assist with my question.

"Why do you expect the opposite to be the case?" --- I don't, which is why I am asking the question.

Having an FAA examiner/instructor sign off my FR after having done Recurrent with him is an answer rather than a problem so I thank you for this suggestion.

As I stated in my original question, the New York FSDO, DID tell me in the past that an EASA recurrent is valid as a Flight review. I am simply wondering if someone has recently found the answer to the same query.

The FAA have always been more practical with regards to these kinds of problems which is why I hoped they may have an exemption of some sort.

In the link you sent me, 61.56 part d(2) states - A practical test conducted by an examiner for the issuance of a flight instructor certificate, an additional rating on a flight instructor certificate, renewal of a flight instructor certificate, or reinstatement of a flight instructor certificate.
It doesn't state that the examiner has to be an FAA examiner. Perhaps an examiner in any ICAO state would suffice.

LTCTerry
21st Oct 2019, 19:07
Simple answer: No. Possible answer: if the person doing your simulator flight happens to be an FAA instructor, the simulator is certified for landings, and it's part of a Part 142-approved program...

"I asked the FSDO" is not an authoritative source. FAA Inspectors are not always right.

61.56 requires an "authorized instructor." The FAA has defined what an "authorized instructor" is. Only FAA-authorized instructors may sign off on a Flight Review to maintain the currency of an FAA-issued certificate. There are some other options besides the straight "hour ground hour flying" flight review, but they also require FAA-certificated examiners, check pilots, instructors, or US military instructors, etc.

Is there anyone you fly with who is also an FAA CFI typed in something you fly? That person can give you a flight review. The airplane does not have to be N-registered, but the instructor does.

LTCTerry
21st Oct 2019, 19:38
Simple answer: No. Possible answer: if the person doing your simulator flight happens to be an FAA instructor, the simulator is certified for landings, and it's part of a Part 142-approved program...

"I asked the FSDO" is not an authoritative source. FAA Inspectors are not always right.

61.56 requires an "authorized instructor." The FAA has defined what an "authorized instructor" is. Only FAA-authorized instructors may sign off on a Flight Review to maintain the currency of an FAA-issued certificate. There are some other options besides the straight "hour ground hour flying" flight review, but they also require FAA-certificated examiners, check pilots, instructors, or US military instructors, etc.

Is there anyone you fly with who is also an FAA CFI typed in something you fly? That person can give you a flight review. The airplane does not have to be N-registered, but the instructor does.

B2N2
21st Oct 2019, 20:11
Correction: The FSDO doesn’t tell you, an inspector does.
Whomever had phone duty that day and his/her/their word is not gospel nor does it hold any legal ground.
You’ll need a letter from the respective FAA inspector.
If in doubt you can always contact the FAA Council and they will come with a ruling which then becomes “case-law”.
FAA inspectors are supposed to tell you that they will review your question and get back to you.
They will then consult FSIMS (former order 8900) and contact you with an answer.

Try this with US immigration next time : “but the embassy told me it was alright”.

You, as airman and certificate holder are supposed to know. Ignorance is no excuse.

I was told the above verbatim by an FAA Inspector.

Just to show you I’m not a complete a-hole and actually somewhat knowledgeable on the subject:

http://fsims.faa.gov/

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/

AviatorKLGB
21st Oct 2019, 20:34
LTCTerry
Thank you. You brought up some really good practical points.

Cheers. That helps a lot!