PDA

View Full Version : any ex- tyler texas OAT students on the net??

Jaxx
8th Aug 2002, 22:33
Hi,

I am from outside the UK and am interested in joining OAT for the Ab-initio integrated course (selfs sponsored that is).

I've been browsing pprune, and have noticed that this school is being regard as one of Brittains finest.
But on the other hand I've seen some negative comments on the Basic Flying instruction part of the integrated course, (being in Tyler,Texas) as well.

Please, can anybody who is still there or, anybody who finished this course, tell me about it?

maybe you can answer some of these questions as well:
1 Are the instructors of Brittish or US origin?
2 What is their average age? (in other words: experienced guys?)
3 Is it a well organised operation?
4 for how long has it been in Tyler, Tx now?
* Or whatever you might think is important for me to know!

thanks!

Jaxx

neil armstrong
8th Aug 2002, 23:12
Don't know about OAT but i know that Tyler was a good school when i lived in Texas(5 years ago).

Neil

Jaxx
9th Aug 2002, 21:35
thanks,

but I guess things have changed after OAT, bought the complete school. (that's what they did according to their website, at least that's what I understand from it)

Jaxx

Jaxx
10th Aug 2002, 23:21
Come on guys and girls! Any of you students at OAT, please share your opinion with me (and the rest that is eager to know, about tyler, texas!)

thanks!

Jaxx

Dr.Evil 2002
11th Aug 2002, 18:58
I spent a good few months in Tyler with Oxford and can tell you in my opinion and I can only go by my personal experience, I found it first class. However, others on my course did have problems, mainly with Instructors. There are, as anywhere, a few instructors to avoid, but on the whole it is a top class training environment. Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck!

Jaxx
11th Aug 2002, 22:09
thanks Dr. E!

did these probs, result in setbacks on the overall concerning the students' future training, or were they minor issues??

about the instructors, are they brittish or american? young guys or are they more experienced chaps?

would be great if you could help me out here!

thanks!

Jaxx

Dr.Evil 2002
12th Aug 2002, 14:05
You have a mixture of instructors, American, British, European, old and young. They have all been through an Oxford standards course so in Theory the training you receive should be the same no matter who you get as an instructor. The main problem - and again I can only comment through personal experience - was with 1 American instructor whom from what I was told, didnt teach "the Oxford way''.
Hmm, what else can I tell you....... ahh, very important, Texan girls are georgous!!!
I would go with Oxford if I were you, I have had very little problems (so far) with them and the training is excellent.

J-Heller
12th Aug 2002, 15:56
Not strictly what you are asking after, but I think quite relevant:

I have asked OATS on two occasions now for information relating to their modular CPL courses, both in Tyler and the UK. There has been no response to date.

Every other organisation I have enquired into has responded efficiently.

OATS have (in the above way) guided me towards my choice of FTO for the CPL. I have no doubt they train very well, but there are plenty of other reputable and highly recommended operators out there, who will actually take the time to communicate with you before you make the decision.

Let us know how you get on would you? And good luck,

JH

MorningGlory
12th Aug 2002, 18:05
This is not the first time I have heard about administration problems with OATS.

In fact I have had pleasure of no replies myself in the past, but a nice young man from OATS promised a while back to sort it out! hmmm.

Not knocking oats training though, think they are spot on, but the only way to get the ball moving with them is to pay a visit in person with the open cheque book. Phoning is a waste of time.

Jaxx
12th Aug 2002, 22:24
Thanks everybody!

I've browsed the PBB a bit recently, and like you said, discovered they have a bit of a problem with their pre sales dept. May be the department is having a sabatical year! ;-)
But apparently they are good at what they do..

Dr. evil, sounds like everything is cool down there in Tyler, just have to "see through" some things! Did you receive instruction from like 2-3 instructors, or from all of them available during your course in tyler?
About the chicks; that is a nice perk! are they used to wannebe airline pilots like us, or still impressed by the stories and the suits!?? :D

If anybody else has a constructive remark concerning OAT (not particulary mentioned on the board recently) in Tyler, or OAT, it would be great to hear it! (I checked out most of the previous posts, concerning OAT)

I'll keep you guys posted about my progress in the aviation training swamp! I am considering joining a programme that contains OAT's ab initio training.

cheers!

Jaxx

sally at pprune
13th Aug 2002, 08:44
Wot's that program Jaxx?

Dr.Evil 2002
13th Aug 2002, 11:23
Jaxx,

Once they hear that English accent its like taking sweets from a baby:)
You get assigned 1 instructor for your whole course out there.
As for Oxford's admin, I know one of the Marketing staff has just left leaving them a bit short, but granted, they are not the best!!

Cheshire cat EGHH
14th Aug 2002, 14:40
My friend finished OAT last march, she says pretty much wot everyone else says about the school.

Its ground school tution is simply THE BEST.

But....

They do tend to put their Sponsered Students before there other students.

Also there flight training is now well known to be ermm. quite bad.

Although there instructors are ok, they tend to over book there a/c and rarely have flights leave ontime.

This normally leads to students not flying as often as they should, therefore forgetting most of their last lesson, which then leads to having to pay for additional flights.

Although please may i re-iterate there Ground School is untouchable, and i will be attending there full time course. (as soon as finacies allow)

Beckxy.

laurie
14th Aug 2002, 16:19
Are you on the diesel water again Cheshire? ;) - I would not agree that the "flight training is now well known to be ermm. quite bad" - Problems about getting a plane I have heard about, but few posters have cast doubts about the quality of flight instruction at OATS.

Regards,
Laurie.

Dr.Evil 2002
14th Aug 2002, 19:18
Granted, the availability of aircraft could be better, but is that not the same at the majority of commercial training schools? The flight instruction I must reiterate is top class.
You are also spot on with the Ground school, Having just finished myself and getting a first time pass with a high average I have to agree its another class act at Oxford, dont think I would have acheived that at another school.
You can pass rumours around all day but as I have said before, in my experience, Oxford is a good place to throw your money at.
Oh, and as for putting the sponsored students first, that was the case but there are no more there now! Aah, now Khalifa students do get preferential treatment but thats another story...........

Jaxx
14th Aug 2002, 22:18
Thanks a bunch guys! you've helped me a lot! I must say, some of the comments frightened me a bit ;-) but, I understand, they are more exceptions than rule!

Sally, to answer your question, the programm I might be going for is epst's, (discussed already on pprune, I noticed) for more info: check out http://www.epst.com

Dr Evil, I don't have an English accent, so may be there's still hope for me with the US instructors ;-)

one more thing: I haven't had much physics during my highschool years. (read no background I can count on!) would you consider this as a problem in groundschool?

thanks again! sounds like OAT is quite sollid!

Jaxx

Cheshire cat EGHH
16th Aug 2002, 08:04
Laurie, I didn't say the quality of tution was bad!?? I said it was ok... In that no one has ever complented there training, but no one has ever bad mouthed it either!!??.

You must like diesel water as much as i do! :D :D ;)

laurie
16th Aug 2002, 10:56
Cheshire,

The diesel water up here is first class. It has my full complents. :D (hic!)

I'm going to get another glass. Meanwhile back to the thread...;)

Regards,
Laurie

Gin Slinger
16th Aug 2002, 19:52
Cheshire Cat: has you've bean taken spelling lestons or sumthing?

Nearly Man
18th Aug 2002, 10:20
Hmmm, well, I've done my ATPL's now and will be sniffing about to do my CPL .. however, the Uk and it's weather don't hold out much hope for me.
Tyler sounds OK but Oxfords quoted prices have an amazing way of inflating themselves as if by magic. Any views, advice .. Dr Evil etc?

Any help would be really welcome

Ta Ta