PDA

View Full Version : End of Windows 7 Support

Fareastdriver
19th Oct 2019, 09:59
I have just got a message when I started my computer to the effect that Microsoft will be ending the support of W7 on January 14th 2020. I advises me to back up my files for the 'changeover?' but there is no hard sell for W10.

I tried W10 for free when it first came out but I preferred to go back to W7. Would there be that many problems continuing with W7 considering whether my antivirus would be kept up to date etc?

Repos
19th Oct 2019, 10:38
My spare computer is a 10 year old laptop running Windows Vista which was always a dogs dinner. It still works but what gradually happens with a unsuported version is that you can't get browser updates. Then some websites won't work with an out of date browser and some apps become unavailable. You also can't keep security up to date. So briefly, it will work OK but gradually present more difficulties and risks as you go along.

Saab Dastard
19th Oct 2019, 12:38
The real danger is that no security patches for the Win7 OS will be released after this date (at least not to the general public), so any vulnerabilities subsequently discovered will not be patched and will be freely exploited by the bad guys. Like Windows XP before it, Win7 has to be abandoned for this reason, at least for internet-connected devices.

It's also true that support for applications and hardware will be removed - it already has been in terms of processors, where no new intel or AMD CPUs will run Win 7 / 8. This is at Microsoft's insistence, to force adoption of Windows 10. Of course one is free to switch to Linux (or move to the Apple ecosystem), but most Windows users will be forced to Win10, whether they like it or not (and many don't).

SD

FullOppositeRudder
19th Oct 2019, 23:13
Some interesting observations on usage presented here: https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-market-share/desktop/worldwide/ Even more so when one looks at the data for some of the countries... W10 is already the dominant operating system and the trend of the graphs will almost certainly continue as new hardware replaces the old. There is a fascinating blip in the Australian chart which shows that for August, Windows 10 usage went down, and XP went up. I can think of no reason why that could be. Perhaps the data is wrong.

I've more of less got into the swing of W10 as I've purchased newer machines. I use the Classic Shell interface as I did with W7 and I really don't notice many differences which really annoy me.

I still have a couple of XP machines which have their offline functions which are not offered in the later versions and for which no replacement programs are available, Indeed I've just installed SS HDDs in them and they really move along now. And for those who may have missed it, my XP machines do not go online. OK?!

I think it's perhaps inevitable that there will have to be a new version of Windows somewhere on the horizon. I've noticed that my W10 machines are getting just that little bit slower to load after each "update"; it's a subjective reaction but one which is hard to ignore. Sooner or later this will have to be addressed.

I have passed on any Linux alternatives. I did try, but they were more hassles than usefulness. Apple? No thanks.

FWIW
FOR

jimjim1
20th Oct 2019, 03:43
I've noticed that my W10 machines are getting just that little bit slower to load after each "update"; it's a subjective reaction but one which is hard to ignore. Sooner or later this will have to be addressed.

I had noticed windows gradually becoming slower and slower and SLOWER. I feel I know a bit about computers and this behaviour puzzled me greatly. One day someone asked me to help fix their computer - it wouldn't let them log in. There was some weird error message about the User Account.

I was aware that the machine had become very slow over two or three years of ordinary use.

I resolved my friend's problem by logging in as Administrator, creating a new account for the user and copying all the documents etc over from c: \users\user1 to c: \users\user2.

I was ASTONISHED to discover that the machine's performance was restored to AS NEW. I have subsequently carried out the same operation a couple more times with gratifying results.

Of course this will only work seamlessly if you have installed your programs for "All Users". For reasons unknown to me this has always been my strong preference.

"Apple? No thanks" You put that more delicately that I might have:rolleyes:

ehwatezedoing
20th Oct 2019, 08:45
I was in the "Apple no thank!" group up until two years ago.
Then I got myself a MacBook pro and I never looked back since.... Pricey but it will last.

It's like switching from a Ford Pinto to a BMW

FullOppositeRudder
21st Oct 2019, 04:02
It's not my intention to be overtly critical of the revered Mac series of alternatives. It's primarily that I am locked into MS programs /applications for a rather broad series of priorities, some / most of which have no parallel alternative in the Mac family. There is also the matter of compatibility with others who are using MS based machines and programs and the sharing of data with them. Yes, it's perhaps possible to run some of these within Mac hardware using programs to mimic Windows, but what is the point of that ..... Generally I've found Windows 'hardware' to be reliable far beyond the declared life of the operating system, so there's not an issue there. Finally, given my age, I really don't feel inclined to learn yet another 'new' operating system, given also that I started with cassette based Tandy Model I box and have dabbled in almost every consumer level mainstream alternative system since that time - with the exception of CPM. So, still no thanks (as politely and respectfully as I can) :)

FOR

Ancient Observer
22nd Oct 2019, 12:05
I would quite like to move from 7 to 3.1, but the dreaded Security would not like it.
I'm not sure that puting for us retired folk has improved much since 3.1.
What did the Romans ever do for us?

dogsridewith
23rd Oct 2019, 12:24
A college sports site was updated and worked well, but indicated that IE 11 would not be accepted soon...suggested Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Will Windows 7 run MS Edge?

pgomez
23rd Oct 2019, 13:19
I'm a loyal user of Win 7 even until today. My other laptop was Win 10, but I rarely use it. My wife does. I think if in the end Win 7 will be too risky to be used, I will move to Win 10 with no regret, since my wife doesn't have any issues using this OS (she's quite "tech savvy" IMO).

HowardB
25th Oct 2019, 14:35
At work I use Win10 (on Dell top end i7 work laptop) & mainly at home, but sometimes at work, Linux Mint 19 with Win 7 in a virtual machine (On a Dell i7 8th gen laptop).

My home set up provides the best of both worlds with a fast, secure & regularly updated O/S along with WIn 7 to run those necessary programs that must run inside windows. Win 10 is OK but only just so most certainly not a preferred O/S for me. Win 10 on my machine is disappointingly slow and opening from hibernate takes longer than my Linux machine from a cold boot!

Biggles78
26th Oct 2019, 14:14
Will Windows 7 run MS Edge?
NO!.........................

FullOppositeRudder
26th Oct 2019, 23:02
My home set up provides the best of both worlds with a fast, secure & regularly updated O/S along with WIn 7 to run those necessary programs that must run inside windows. Win 10 is OK but only just so most certainly not a preferred O/S for me. Win 10 on my machine is disappointingly slow and opening from hibernate takes longer than my Linux machine from a cold boot!

Right from the very start my expensive new Dell Inspiron 3000/15" i7 laptop 'impressed' with it's very slow startup times. It only got worse as time passed, and about three months ago I decided to invest in a SS HDD. 'Twas costly since a 1TB was part of the OEM and I decided to stay with that. The recommended Adonis True Image did not produce a working clone, so I went back (in some desperation) to the already installed Paragon HD Manager to see it that was any better. Indeed it was, and once I made the new HDD 'active' I was rewarded with a machine better than it ever was at new in terms of boot up speed and the loading of programs.

SS HDDs are coming down in price all the time now. The lift in boot performance and speed has made their installation well worth while in all the machines where I have taken the plunge.

FOR

le Pingouin
27th Oct 2019, 07:21
I really wouldn't recommend continuing to use Win7 for things like Internet banking or you might find yourself up a creek without a paddle when your bank refuses to reimburse money fraudulently taken from your account because you're using an unsupported browser on an unsupported operating system.

As FOR suggests install Open-Shell (the successor to ClassicShell) and you'll feel quite at home.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

Jonno_aus
27th Oct 2019, 07:50
Being ‘hacked’ through not updating Windows ‘security measures’ is all hocus pocus.

PJD1
27th Oct 2019, 07:55
Will Windows 7 run MS Edge?

NO!.........................

Wrong - the correct answer is yes https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/19/introducing-microsoft-edge-preview-builds-for-windows-7-windows-8-and-windows-8-1/

le Pingouin
27th Oct 2019, 09:46
Being ‘hacked’ through not updating Windows ‘security measures’ is all hocus pocus.

Tell that to the NHS and anyone else who caught a dose of WannaCry

le Pingouin
27th Oct 2019, 10:03
But as MS will stop updating Edge on WIn7 come January it's a moot point.

Spartacan
30th Oct 2019, 16:31
Following this thread with interest . . .

Yesterday I took my old tower with Windows 7 into the local computer shop to have the Windows 10 upgrade. The shop was completely unable to make the computer connect to the internet so were not able to install the upgrade. There were bricking it that they had caused a problem. I took the PC home, plugged it in and, hey presto, Windows 7 fired up, internet connected fine and everything is hunky dory.

So now what do I do? I went to Curry's / PC World and they no longer do the Windows 10 upgrade. Interestingly the guy told me that Curry's own systems work on Windows 7 as they regard it as the more stable operating system. They suggested leaving Windows 7 in situ and installing McAfee Total Protection (£80 in Curry's but currently £16 on Amazon).

The caveat was to not use internet banking on the PC. That's fine with me so it looks like Curry's has the solution.

The alternative is to buy a new tower for several hundred pounds.

Comments welcome!

Ancient Observer
31st Oct 2019, 18:02
Spartacan,
Having the same debate with myself. (Can't debate with SWMBO as she doesn't do tech)
I would be reluctant to change my pc - it has an i5 2050 8gb. Seperate ATI radeon graphics card. This set up was the dog's boll**** for reasonable pricing in its time. I think it might be a job for our local "cash will do nicely, sir", PC fixer. But if I give him the necessary, how long can I postpone the £500 outlay on a new tower????.
And other non-techie folk do snigger at my antique set up................

FlightDetent
31st Oct 2019, 19:54
Having installed W10 over W7 (licencing issues) on some old HW that was leaving the house with a charitable waybill, much to my surprise I realized the whole setup would run faster than before. Not a vox populi opinion, but W10 works for me well above the previous editions. Few personal observations towards what's been shared already
- some old HW (standalone graphic card) may not be supported by W10, that's a bummer.
- not long ago Intel needed to modify the microcode of their processors for de-bugging with a marked slow-down of some instructions
- on old boxes the power source usually becomes the first real trouble
- recent Firefox browser editions are respectable tools
- pricey "total" so-called AV-solutions will not give you the chosen ride for money (80 quid, geez?!) but quite likely choke up the machine instead, scaremongering has become a widespread sales tactics

For the kits that are well matured and W7, I apply
- SSD 500 GB
- RAM extension to 8 GB (12 better), from eBay is fine
- clean install of W10, firefox and Office 365 home (5 users with 5 installs each + 1 GB cloud storage + Skype-to-landline credit = about 40.00/y)
- use the MS account, activate Onedrive to backup the Desktop folder as well as consume the Documents folder.

Home use sorted out.

Spartacan
31st Oct 2019, 22:34
A cheap solution would be to buy a reconditioned tower with Windows 10 installed (circa £150 from Amazon). However, a problem I have is old data. Some of the stuff I want to transfer safely to Windows 10 is over 25 years old. Old data is fragile stuff and every time I’ve changed operating systems some files have become unreadable. It gets harder to read old files even if you can keep track of them.

So, for me, the safest thing is to stick with one tower with data backed up onto several internal hard drives. I tried external drives but gave up after two of them suffered mechanical failure.

My attempt to upgrade has created another data problem as the computer shop decided, without my consent, to make a back up of my hard drive. I’ve asked them to delete it but, so far, they haven’t confirmed that they have done so.You place an awful lot of trust in computer repair shops and I’ve no reason to believe this shop is untrustworthy. However, if they won’t get on and delete it where do I stand? Complaint to the Information Commissioner?

FlightDetent
31st Oct 2019, 22:44
Get MS account and activate OneDrive on the old setup.
Move data to the mirrored folder (wait for them to sync to cloud)
Remove the old primary drive.
Install SSD + W10, activate the same MS account
Watch data download back.
Connect the old drive to a secondary channel (non-boot)

Something goes wrong? Re-plug the old HDD into the primary boot channel (or change their roles in BIOS) with the old OS still on it - voila, as if nothing ever happened. Disk upgrade + OS upgrade make a lot of sense if combined.

le Pingouin
1st Nov 2019, 03:10
Upgrade it yourself. It's not hard & if it fails to work the installation process rolls back to the previous installation. As ever making a backup is highly recommended.

Procrastinus
1st Nov 2019, 09:11
Agree with FD above, except I would not put the old drive back as a secondary drive ( why have it spinning away all the time?)
Just put it away in a box and connect it back in if needed in the future

FlightDetent
1st Nov 2019, 17:33
Agree with FD above, except I would not put the old drive back as a secondary drive ( why have it spinning away all the time?)
Just put it away in a box and connect it back in if needed in the future I do it exactly the same for myself and the old one becomes a physical backup.

For others, they get a video how to launch BIOS and change the boot sequence. If re-activated OneDrive sync will update the new documents created with the SSD already running in reverse to the original HDD. Also good when in immediate need to connect an ancient peripheral that is only supported under W7. It's a trick to mitigate the "I told you W10 was a wrong idea". Don't like it? Press F12 at power-up and then one arrow down before hitting the enter key. Back in the old shoes under 3 minutes.