PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical

trouser2000
17th Oct 2019, 10:38
Hi,

I am going for a class 2 medical in a couple of months however hope to obtain a class 1 at a later date.

At the moment, I am heavily overweight (BMI of 36) - something I am addressing. I am having to work over the next few months to get the BMI into the acceptable range whilst also trying to improve my overall health. I have been a smoker and more recently vaper, for the past 15 odd years. I am 31 and have done a peak flow test at home and at best blowing around 550.

Does anyone know if that peak flow result would be a problem in terms of passing the class 2 or 1 medical.

I have just literally quit smoking and going to the gym each day so hopefully that will help the cause. By the time it comes to a class 1 medical I should be far healthier however my class 2 is in 12 weeks.

Any info is appreciated.

Regards
Andy

BoeingBoy
17th Oct 2019, 14:12
Hi T2000,

Try this page as a starter as it's the CAA reference for respiratory issues.

CAA Respitory Protocols (https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Respiratory/Respiratory-guidance-material-GM/)

I had a major battle with them in the eighties about flying with a Ventolin inhaler and became the first pilot ever to be certified to fly with one single crew. That said, I'm not aware of any current peak flow limits as it's not a test routinely done unless evidence of breathing issues exists. Everyone is different so a figure of 550 for you might not suit someone else.
It sounds like you're making the right plans and doing the right thing so keep at it, but rest assured that there are many airline pilots whose waist lines now exceed their years in aviation both in inches, and in some cases centimetres!

trouser2000
17th Oct 2019, 18:36
Hi T2000,

Try this page as a starter as it's the CAA reference for respiratory issues.

I had a major battle with them in the eighties about flying with a Ventolin inhaler and became the first pilot ever to be certified to fly with one single crew. That said, I'm not aware of any current peak flow limits as it's not a test routinely done unless evidence of breathing issues exists. Everyone is different so a figure of 550 for you might not suit someone else.
It sounds like you're making the right plans and doing the right thing so keep at it, but rest assured that there are many airline pilots whose waist lines now exceed their years in aviation both in inches, and in some cases centimetres!

Thanks I appreciate the info. So much to initially get your head around before you even think of spending a penny.

Regards
Andy