PDA

View Full Version : Technical questions about MCC training

KayPam
16th Oct 2019, 19:53
Hello,
I'm currently undergoing MCC/JOC on the A320.
To describe what's happening, we did 3 days of ground school, 2 technical about the a320 and some things about failure management, intro to cockpit operations, etc.. Then 3 days about non technical skills.
In parallel we have to work hard to prepare the first sim next week : know all the procedures, PF/PM, know the flight profiles, how to brief properly, etc.. ideally while starting to do some crew cooperation.

We have access to a basic 320 sim on which we can learn flows and procedures.

I'm asking for recent student feedbacks : what's the best you can do to prepare the first sim ?
More specifically we're wondering if we should begin to learn crew cooperation on our side without instructor input, or just stick to procedures.

Any other advice to progres seamlessly and efficiently through the course ?
I'm not worried in any way but just want to maximize the results while easing the effort, by knowing that we're working in the best way possible.

Thanks

parkfell
17th Oct 2019, 08:40
The MCC (with JOC / APS) course is the most challenging part of a junior birdman’s training to date as the amount of material to learn and apply is considerable. A steep learning curve even for the most talented student.
This course will give a good prediction if you are the “right stuff” for airline operations.

Not only are you going from a light 2MT twin to a beastie weighing in at 60+MT, but operating it with another pilot. Bring your skills across from the twin. Remember that accurate attitude selection & TRIMMING is the key to success. Previous threads give guidance as to technique.
Defined roles as PF & PM.
The two actors on the stage knowing their lines as well as any Shakespearean actors. Word perfect.

Inertia will be a new experience as well, which you will first notice when you taxi.

Ideally you will have studied the course material intensely for a few weeks prior to the TKI/GS element so that a sense of déjà vu occurs during this phase. The TKI instructor will be able to predict even at this stage how well you will do in the simulator. Hopefully not a car crash waiting to happen.

Prior to any exercise, you must have learnt the profiles contained within it, together with the relevant flows.
First, write out say the take-off profile, without reference to the manual. You are likely to need to repeat this a number of times until it is ‘perfecto’.
Then, with the other pilot, sit in the ‘mock up’ trainer, and go through the sequence of events, including the interactive briefings numerous times until it is as easy as counting from 10 to 0 backwards. That is how well you need to know it.

In the simulator your brain will be at best 50% efficient on lesson one. The pressure is on. It takes probably 4 sessions until you start to begin to feel comfortable. Every lession is new element; the pressure is relentless.
Only meticulous preparation going through the scheduled sequences will result in success. If you don’t experience a sense of déjà vu, then something was missing. Learn from it.

Listen extremely carefully to the briefings. Ask questions. On the debrief be self critical with particular reference to the multi crew competencies. Be honest about your shortcomings and receptive to helpful comments. Take copious notes to refer to later in the day.

Those who work hard will enjoy the course and probably conclude that more preparation prior to the course would have been beneficial.

And finally, as mentioned on a recent thread, the more discerning providers will provide at least an A4 hand out on line flying R/T, and debrief you accordingly.
You need to get away from “IRT training R/T”. CAP413 refers.

Note: The phrase “junior birdman” is a generic phrase, not identifying any particular gender or subset thereof.

miguel22
18th Oct 2019, 07:32
Hello,
I'm currently undergoing MCC/JOC on the A320.
To describe what's happening, we did 3 days of ground school, 2 technical about the a320 and some things about failure management, intro to cockpit operations, etc.. Then 3 days about non technical skills.
In parallel we have to work hard to prepare the first sim next week : know all the procedures, PF/PM, know the flight profiles, how to brief properly, etc.. ideally while starting to do some crew cooperation.

We have access to a basic 320 sim on which we can learn flows and procedures.

I'm asking for recent student feedbacks : what's the best you can do to prepare the first sim ?
More specifically we're wondering if we should begin to learn crew cooperation on our side without instructor input, or just stick to procedures.

Any other advice to progres seamlessly and efficiently through the course ?
I'm not worried in any way but just want to maximize the results while easing the effort, by knowing that we're working in the best way possible.

Thanks

Where you are doing your MCC?

crimito
19th Oct 2019, 07:37
Parkfell is right, except that the Airbus doesn’t need trimming... 😉
Anyway, knowing SOPs and profiles by hearth is the key. I spent hours practicing in a mock sim with my partner. Try to always help each other and fight the will to compete instead.
Have fun!!!!

KayPam
19th Oct 2019, 19:43
We are at L3 CTS with a group of 4 people including me.

Buy one get one free
21st Oct 2019, 20:18
We are at L3 CTS with a group of 4 people including me.

Let us know how it went together with any other tips about the course.