PDA

View Full Version : Canadian snowbird ejection

fallmonk
13th Oct 2019, 18:19
Spotted this today
"Snowbird 5, Capt Kevin Domon-Grenier was forced to eject from his aircraft shortly before our performance in Atlanta this afternoon. Capt Domon-Grenier made it safely to the ground and is okay. The aircraft fell in an unpopulated area and no one was injured. It is too early to speculate on the cause of the incident. We are thankful Kevin and the public are unhurt"

Airbubba
13th Oct 2019, 19:19
From a local TV station:

Plane crashes near Atlanta Air ShowHere's what we know.Author: Jason BravermanPublished: 1:45 PM EDT October 13, 2019Updated: 2:56 PM EDT October 13, 2019HAMPTON, Ga. — A Canadian Forces Snowbirds plane crashed Sunday near the Atlanta Air Show taking place at the Atlanta Motor Speedway.

The incident occurred at around 1:30 p.m.

The pilot was ejected and was not injured in the crash, according to authorities.

According to the Fayette County Sheriff, the crash happened 13 miles southwest of the race track in the 600 block of Grant Road near Brooks, Georgia.In a statement from the Canadian Armed Forces Snowbirds Public Affairs Officer, they said they the pilot is Cpt. Kevin Domon-Grenier.
They said it is too early to speculate the cause of the incident.

"Snowbird 5, Capt Kevin Domon-Grenier was forced to eject from his aircraft shiortly before our performance in Atlanta this afternoon," the statement said. "Capt Domon-Grenier made it safely to the ground and is okay. The aircraft fell in an unpopulated area and no one was injured."Snowbird 5, Capt Kevin Domon-Grenier was forced to eject from his aircraft shiortly before our performance in Atlanta this afternoon. Capt Domon-Grenier made it safely to the ground and is okay. The aircraft fell in an unpopulated area and no one was injured.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGxo7IfWkAAdcKO?format=jpg&name=medium (https://twitter.com/CFSnowbirds/status/1183436169331249154/photo/1)The Thunderbirds, who were supposed to take part in today's show, announced that their performance is canceled today.

According to the Air Show website, the Royal Canadian Air Force Snowbirds are a Canadian icon comprised of active duty members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

"Their pilots and technicians work as a team to bring thrilling performances to the North American public," the website said.Vickie Laxson, of Griffin, was driving nearby with her husband when she saw a ball of smoke in the air. They drove 1-2 miles after it crashed to locate the plane and try to help.

Laxson said by the time she got there, others had helped the pilot, who ejected safely.

"It was wild," she said. "It was heartbreaking at first not knowing he was safe."

The Atlanta Air Show was set to take place Saturday and Sunday. The show did not resume after the crash.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/local/atlanta-air-show-canadian-forces-snowbirds/85-28f70cd8-0090-4ea7-b9ae-60a92a37e9b7

https://youtu.be/Our-FFh4Tew

West Coast
14th Oct 2019, 03:26
T birds cancelled, so much for the show must go on thought given the Snowbird pilot was ok.

ShyTorque
14th Oct 2019, 07:41
T birds cancelled, so much for the show must go on thought given the Snowbird pilot was ok.

What? The rest of the team would not have known the outcome at the time. "Missing man formation" isn't flown on an ad-hoc basis when you're distracted by an event such as a team member being forced to eject! :ugh:

Bob Viking
14th Oct 2019, 07:55
The Snowbirds and the Thunderbirds are two different teams. But then you knew that right?

Try reading the posts again.

BV

pr00ne
14th Oct 2019, 09:27
Do the Snowbirds still fly the Canadair Tutor?

Capt Scribble
14th Oct 2019, 09:36
If Wiki is correct, they might be using the Tutor until around 2030 (at which time humans will be extinct apparently).

BEagle
14th Oct 2019, 11:57
Well, I agree with West Coast's view (that must be a first, eh Westie? ;) ).

I recall an account given by a pilot who'd been warned that he was joining a pretty hard-nosed outfit as their new boss. He was to fly there in his Hunter and join the welcoming formation. Which he did, the leader than called 'looping', after which a call came from one of the wingmen who'd seen an ominous pall of oily black smoke, which went something like "Black lead from 4, 3 has crashed". To which came the calm reply "Roger. Black, re-number"! Of course, it was all a spoof; 3 had broken away and a colleague on the ground had lit the fire. But they didn't tell their new boss until he'd started to write the letter to the 'dead' pilot's relatives.

Anyway, good to read that the Snowbird accident wasn't fatal and I hope that Capt Domon-Grenier will be flying again soon.

West Coast
14th Oct 2019, 12:38
What? The rest of the team would not have known the outcome at the time. "Missing man formation" isn't flown on an ad-hoc basis when you're distracted by an event such as a team member being forced to eject! :ugh:

What are you on about ST? Differing teams.

West Coast
14th Oct 2019, 12:38
Well, I agree with West Coast's view (that must be a first, eh Westie? ;) ).

I recall an account given by a pilot who'd been warned that he was joining a pretty hard-nosed outfit as their new boss. He was to fly there in his Hunter and join the welcoming formation. Which he did, the leader than called 'looping', after which a call came from one of the wingmen who'd seen an ominous pall of oily black smoke, which went something like "Black lead from 4, 3 has crashed". To which came the calm reply "Roger. Black, re-number"! Of course, it was all a spoof; 3 had broken away and a colleague on the ground had lit the fire. But they didn't tell their new boss until he'd started to write the letter to the 'dead' pilot's relatives.

Anyway, good to read that the Snowbird accident wasn't fatal and I hope that Capt Domon-Grenier will be flying again soon.

Glad to see you coming around Beags!

ShyTorque
14th Oct 2019, 16:53
Ah yes, I see, What a bunch of wimps.

Better now?

West Coast
14th Oct 2019, 22:17
Ah yes, I see, What a bunch of wimps.

Better now?

This being about as odd as your first post.

megan
15th Oct 2019, 01:39
And his wife flies the #2 slot. Not many teams could make that claim, a first?.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/snowbird-crashes-ahead-of-air-show-in-atlanta-pilot-safely-ejected-1.4636873

Phantom Driver
15th Oct 2019, 21:47
And his wife flies the #2 slot. Not many teams could make that claim, a first?.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/snowbird-crashes-ahead-of-air-show-in-atlanta-pilot-safely-ejected-1.4636873

As I recall , the Reds had a near similar situation a few years back ; the boss was (allegedly) having an affair with his wingman ( sorry , wing woman ) , leading to her leaving the team . They later married and subsequently flew together in a civvy prop aero team ( Blades ?) .

India Four Two
15th Oct 2019, 22:07
From the Snowbirds website. I'm impressed. He started his career in the PBI!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/853x384/screen_shot_2019_10_15_at_16_04_40_ffdb4b7e5554354c08e434aa9 2e5f61c981d8164.png