PDA

View Full Version : 'Activist' Glues Himself to BA Jet

Airbubba
10th Oct 2019, 16:05
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x916/nintchdbpict000529763498_e1570711684675_9787286bf2b50c6fb76d a755c5dde90354e33b04.jpg

From The Sun:

An Extinction Rebellion protester glued himself to the top of a British Airways plane at London City Airport today.

The man, identified by Extinction Rebellion as former Paralympic cyclist James Brown, was seen clinging to the aircraft in a video streamed online by the protest group.

Brown, who is visually impaired, was arrested at Heathrow last month after a protest which saw some Extinction Rebellion activists try to fly a drone near the airport.

The 54-year-old, a former Paralympic athlete who won a bronze medal at London 2012, glued himself to the top of a BA Embraer 190 jet.

Brown, who is visually impaired, was arrested at Heathrow last month after a protest which saw some Extinction Rebellion activists try to fly a drone near the airport.

The 54-year-old, a former Paralympic athlete who won a bronze medal at London 2012, glued himself to the top of a BA Embraer 190 jet.
In a video he posted online he said: "Here I am on top of a f****** aeroplane at City Airport. I hate heights, I'm s******* myself, I managed to get on the roof. I am so shaky.

"This is all about the climate and ecological crisis, we’re protesting against government inaction on climate and ecological breakdown. They declare a climate emergency and then do nothing about it.

"In fact they go the opposite direction, they sanction the expansion of airports, Heathrow, Bristol and others. We can’t let this go on, we can't have our cake and eat it.

"He later noticed security were approaching and said: Oh good security are coming. I hope they don’t take too long because this is f****** scary". He was eventually removed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10104063/extinction-rebellion-london-city-airport-today-shut-down/

Plastic787
10th Oct 2019, 16:07
I wonder how he got to the airport. Certainly didn’t walk.

gearlever
10th Oct 2019, 16:13
V1, Vr.....Ouch damn antenna.

Airbubba
10th Oct 2019, 16:14
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x890/nintchdbpict000529772942_9e0269a9e24ac3a7e9ca1f0e7c8d9b0ca31 12919.jpg

Thankfully, he was soon rescued from his 'scary' predicament.

pattern_is_full
10th Oct 2019, 16:17
One way to avoid cabin fumes.

But he's just going to give - a certain Irish airline - Ideas. They'll start adding passenger handles on the roofs - another 20 "seats" ;)

Airbubba
10th Oct 2019, 16:18
V1, Vr.....Ouch damn antenna.

Maybe he got the idea from Clay Lacy.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1598x1080/181a6b27799b5d2076e445c940ee0ec1_large__46700f6d748a54ede047 0d46e9accbe38280bfc6.jpg

rog747
10th Oct 2019, 16:33
LCY head of security - in the office now please - no tea, no biccies

Paul852
10th Oct 2019, 16:42
I wonder how he got to the airport. Certainly didn’t walk.I feel you have perhaps misunderstood the terminology around Paralympics.

Having said that, he was earlier banned for doping, so perhaps he likes getting high? :O

TURIN
10th Oct 2019, 17:02
I would just love to see the Tech log write up for that.

Airbubba
10th Oct 2019, 17:24
Years ago a member of a TSA 'Tiger Team' was using the TAT probe as a step to get to the overhead hatch of some RJ's at ORD. :ugh:

TSA Snafu Damages Nine Planes at O'Hare Field
Pilots Furious with Misstep
By JOSEPH RHEE, BRIAN ROSS, and ERIC LONGABARDI
August 19, 2008—

ABC News

Nine American Eagle airplanes were grounded Tuesday after a TSA inspector, conducting an overnight security check, used sensitive instrument probes to climb onto the parked aircraft at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, aviation sources tell ABCNews.com.

A TSA official confirmed the incident.

At least forty regional commuter flights were delayed throughout the day, according to American Airlines. "We think it's an unfortunate situation," American airlines spokesperson Mary Frances told ABCNews.com.

The TSA agent, as part of spot inspection of aircraft security, climbed onto the parked aircraft using control sensors mounted on the fuselage as handholds, according to a TSA official in Chicago, Elio Montenegro.

"Our inspector was following routine procedure for securing the aircraft that were on the tarmac," Montenegro told ABCNews.com.

The TSA agent was attempting to determine if someone could break into a parked aircraft, according to Montenegro.

Pilots were furious at the TSA misstep.

Lord Farringdon
10th Oct 2019, 18:53
Years ago a member of a TSA 'Tiger Team' was using the TAT probe as a step to get to the overhead hatch of some RJ's at ORD. :ugh:

Airbubba, are you suggesting this is how the guy might have got on the roof? I mean how else did he get there? The image of YM and YJ is interesting in that if you compare the probes there is one on YM that looks to be a bit down to the equivalent on YJ? Perhaps just an image distortion (or maybe I've been doing too many 'Spot the difference puzzles lately!) Did he use a ladder? How did he get airside? As someone else said, someone might be in for a rug dance in front of LCY Head of Scy.

Webby737
10th Oct 2019, 19:10
The BBC are reporting that he presumably bought a ticket and passed though security as a passenger https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50000110
As for getting on the crown area, it's easy enough on a narrow bodied aircraft, probably better not to mention how in case it gives ideas to any other idiots !

Airbubba
10th Oct 2019, 19:53
Airbubba, are you suggesting this is how the guy might have got on the roof? I mean how else did he get there?

Actually I was replying to an earlier post that I had quoted suggesting that this guy could have harmed himself or the aircraft while climbing on the various probes. For some reason the earlier post and my quote of it were removed without comment. :confused:

lomapaseo
10th Oct 2019, 19:59
He looks streamlined enough in that position to not be noticed and taken into flight Not sure the glue would hold unless aviation certified..

gizmo71
10th Oct 2019, 20:19
But he's just going to give - a certain Irish airline - Ideas. They'll start adding passenger handles on the roofs - another 20 "seats" ;)

You'll pay extra for handles... :}

FLCH
10th Oct 2019, 20:20
As he was visually and cerebrally challenged he mistook the jet for his girlfriend.

TURIN
10th Oct 2019, 20:44
As he was visually and cerebrally challenged he mistook the jet for his girlfriend.

Cowboy Position?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/580x393/dr_strangelove_still_580_84bb31e815c89b4cc848bb57d54c47f4f22 b6850.jpg
Slim Pickens

EEngr
10th Oct 2019, 20:48
Advertisement for Gorilla Glue when?

sixchannel
10th Oct 2019, 21:16
I often wonder why the Rescue Services want 'rescue' these people so quickly. Leave them glued to whatever they chose for a while. They purposely did it - enjoy.
I wonder how long their bladders would hold out?

Speed of Sound
10th Oct 2019, 21:28
I often wonder why the Rescue Services want 'rescue' these people so quickly.

Possibly because BA would like to use the aircraft at some point?

YorkshireTyke
10th Oct 2019, 21:31
and I bet "security" made him take off his shoes and leave his nail clippers behind before letting him through ?

sixchannel
10th Oct 2019, 21:35
Possibly because BA would like to use the aircraft at some point?

Sorry - I was thinking more on the lines of those who glue themselves to roads, railings doors etc. Leave them be, I say.
As an aside - I wonder if these folks took holiday from work to be there? What! - they don't work! Theyre certainly not looking for work are they, so names and addresses to the Job Centres tout suite and lets stop the JSA"s.

WingSlinger
10th Oct 2019, 23:49
Next security knee-jerk reaction: "ban all glues, airside".

Nose wheel first
11th Oct 2019, 10:54
Effing muppet. I hope they throw the book at him. Unfortunately he'll probably get off with a warning not to be a bad boy again.

It's too bad they got the whole rescue crew out and carefully removed him... should have just grabbed his legs and kept yanking until they ripped him off.

Less Hair
11th Oct 2019, 11:20
Would you want to dispatch with a hand on top of the cabin roof?

Diavel
11th Oct 2019, 13:04
Just lock the bastard up and throw away the key.
It is interesting,how many people who does not want a real job, but instead decides to become “activists”. They should not be entitled to any kind of benefits, unless they work.

sixchannel
11th Oct 2019, 13:08
It is interesting,how many people who does not want a real job, but instead decides to become “activists”. They should not be entitled to any kind of benefits, unless they work.
Quite so. No JSA etc unless LOOKING for Work
BTW - I wonder how they all got there?

Blue_Circle
11th Oct 2019, 13:21
Why do so many people persist in believing the myth that all these protesters are unemployed or unemployable? Just because you or I wouldn't give up a day or two for it doesn't meant that there aren't plenty of people out there who would.

kontrolor
11th Oct 2019, 14:05
haha, I like those people, realy dedicated! Airliners are major poluters ;)

homonculus
11th Oct 2019, 14:12
Your judgement seems on a par with your spelling

Meester proach
11th Oct 2019, 14:17
As we all know civil aviation accounts for a tiny percentage of carbon, but it’s an easy target for these wasters.When you look at their aims it’s clear , they are really just anarchists.

Ethel the Aardvark
11th Oct 2019, 14:35
Classic example of Paralympic drag

sixchannel
11th Oct 2019, 14:43
Why do so many people persist in believing the myth that all these protesters are unemployed or unemployable? Just because you or I wouldn't give up a day or two for it doesn't meant that there aren't plenty of people out there who would.
Myth? Give some numbers to back it up.
AFAIC theyre a bunch of Anarchists.

EEngr
11th Oct 2019, 15:16
It is interesting,how many people who does not want a real job, but instead decides to become “activists”.
How do we know that this isn't a 'real job'? For all we know it may pay very well.

sixchannel
11th Oct 2019, 15:18
How do we know that this isn't a 'real job'? For all we know it may pay very well.
I do wonder who are the Paymasters - the 'money' - behind them?

OldnGrounded
11th Oct 2019, 16:28

Oh, I'm sure there are piles of cash behind this. No doubt a devious scheme by railroad operators, international bus companies and draft horse breeders.

IBMJunkman
11th Oct 2019, 18:10
What type of glue? Or am I a weirdo for wanting to know?

sixchannel
11th Oct 2019, 18:28
Hopefully something very painful when the rescue services tried to remove it.

The AvgasDinosaur
11th Oct 2019, 18:35
At $50.6 million minimum for an E-190 I hope it’s not corrosive!
David

Airbubba
11th Oct 2019, 20:25

Looks like some form of household cyanoacrylate in this news media picture from LCY yesterday.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1080x1213/nintchdbpict000529691873_2_large__c1cd6bd3836eeab4b25e05b704 6bf05a2ed208bd.jpg

Gipsy Queen
11th Oct 2019, 21:14
Actually I was replying to an earlier post that I had quoted suggesting that this guy could have harmed himself or the aircraft while climbing on the various probes. For some reason the earlier post and my quote of it were removed without comment. :confused:

I responded to your earlier post and my contribution suffered the same fate. Not for the first time recently. Curious.

Gipsy Queen
11th Oct 2019, 21:40

Well, one of them is Christopher Hohn who reputedly is worth 1,2 billion and directly gave £50,000 to the extinction people. Via a charity in which he is involved, he donated a further £150,000 to this same bunch of anarchists. He is reported as saying that he provided this cash "because humanity is aggressively destroying the world with climate change and there is an urgent need for us all to wake up to this fact". His money could have been more wisely spent.

Like the bulk of those engaged in this spurious exercise, he concerns himself with the consequences of human action, not the principal causal factor which is world overpopulation.

Summer Lovin
12th Oct 2019, 01:00
Get airborne and see how strong that glue is.

mrdeux
12th Oct 2019, 02:14
Would he have come off at bug speed?

Foxcotte
12th Oct 2019, 06:02
I am very curious about something. Regardless of whether he bought a ticket or not, but how the hell does anyone (visually, physically impaired or fully able bodied) get onto the top of a plane?

A maintenance scaffold I can understand, even a crane. But to walk up to the door of an airliner either on a gantry or air bridge or steps .., how DO you get from there to the top of the fuselage without either some serious assistance, gymnastics or other equipment?

fox niner
12th Oct 2019, 06:30
Quite so. No JSA etc unless LOOKING for Work
BTW - I wonder how they all got there?
How is he going to look for work, if he is visually impaired?

His dudeness
12th Oct 2019, 06:58

Wether they are employed or not is maybe harder to tell, that they are unemployable is quite self evident IMHO. Unless you are in the anarchy business, then these people are just what you should be looking for.

hoss183
12th Oct 2019, 10:04
Ive seen them do this on the trains in India to avoid buying a ticket, but i dont think it works for planes ;)

763 jock
12th Oct 2019, 10:44
Should have de-iced it Hot mix 75/25.

lomapaseo
12th Oct 2019, 13:48
I am very curious about something. Regardless of whether he bought a ticket or not, but how the hell does anyone (visually, physically impaired or fully able bodied) get onto the top of a plane?

A maintenance scaffold I can understand, even a crane. But to walk up to the door of an airliner either on a gantry or air bridge or steps .., how DO you get from there to the top of the fuselage without either some serious assistance, gymnastics or other equipment?

If you somehow figure this out please keep it to yourself

DaveReidUK
12th Oct 2019, 19:50

Presumably wallpaper paste. :O

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/471x307/solvite_2d5071fc453327b738ea36f942f1414bebb8a2c5.jpg

Fonsini
12th Oct 2019, 20:26
Someone should follow this guy around until he takes his next TUI flight to Malaga for his hols.......

SOPS
13th Oct 2019, 04:45
Just follow him until he gets into his car, makes a phone call, turns the lights on in his house... you get the idea ...

Raffles S.A.
13th Oct 2019, 06:52
They should have just gone ahead with the flight with him glued to the plane. These people are challenged. If they feel so strongly about the subject, why don't they go plant trees in the Sahara desert, or go protest in China, or tell dicaprio and associates (who pay lip service to "climate change") to stop using their private jets, yachts and other CO2 toys?

Webby737
13th Oct 2019, 11:52

It's actually very easy on an aircraft that size.
Provided you have stairs up to one of the pax/service doors.
As I mentioned in my previous post, it's probably best not to go into detail on a public forum. We don't want to be giving the idiots any additional info.

DaveReidUK
13th Oct 2019, 12:41
Just follow him until he gets into his car, makes a phone call, turns the lights on in his house... you get the idea ...

Are you suggesting that we should all go back to living in caves and sending smoke signals ?

kikatinalong
13th Oct 2019, 15:47
Are you suggesting that we should all go back to living in caves and sending smoke signals ?

'just think of all that excess smoke in the atmosphere from all those signal fires

Raffles S.A.
13th Oct 2019, 17:51
This video explains these crazy people perfectly.

You tube

DaveReidUK
13th Oct 2019, 18:46
This video explains these crazy people perfectly.

I very much doubt that PJW has ever explained anything perfectly in his life. :O

Airbubba
13th Oct 2019, 19:04

He's already out of jail.

From The Evening Standard:

A former Paralympic cyclist has denied climbing on to a British Airways plane and gluing himself to it during the Extinction Rebellion (https://www.standard.co.uk/topic/extinction-rebellion) protests.

James Brown, who is visually impaired, is accused of causing a public nuisance by climbing on top of the aircraft at London City Airport (https://www.standard.co.uk/topic/london-city-airport) on Thursday.
The 55-year-old appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court (https://www.standard.co.uk/topic/westminster-magistrates-court) on Saturday where a not guilty plea was entered on his behalf by his solicitor Raj Chada.

District judge John Zani granted him conditional bail, prohibiting him from going within one mile of any airport in the UK.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/extinction-rebellion-protester-and-former-paralympic-cyclist-james-brown-denies-climbing-on-plane-at-a4260006.html

Raffles S.A.
13th Oct 2019, 19:48
I very much doubt that PJW has ever explained anything perfectly in his life. :O
I agree with some things he says, but of course there are some controversial points too. I do agree with what he says about "climate change", it is a money making racket, and anyone who falls for this trap.....

13th Oct 2019, 21:10
I was thinking more on the lines of those who glue themselves to roads, railings doors etc.
Instead of ungluing this Richard Craniums, just dig a square foot of the road surface or a section of railing and let them deal with the ungluing after being charged.

Longtimer
14th Oct 2019, 03:21
My concern is not what he did or what he represents but how the hell he got airside in the first place. Just imagine if he had been someone who wanted to down an aircraft? So much for security.

Airbubba
14th Oct 2019, 03:30
My concern is not what he did or what he represents but how the hell he got airside in the first place. Just imagine if he had been someone who wanted to down an aircraft? So much for security.

He purchased a ticket and had a boarding pass. His glue container was probably small and didn't set off an alarm.

These 'activists' have been using the glue stunt for a while now.

From April of this year:

What is with climate change activists in London gluing themselves to buildings and streets? What's the connection?

Eco warriors in London have been engaged in a bizarre protest for the last two weeks in which these climate change activists have attempted to draw attention to their cause by gluing themselves to things.

Campaigners previously glued themselves to the London Stock Exchange and climbed on top of a train at Canary Wharf, but one gal took her protest to the next level by gluing her breasts to the road outside the Goldman Sachs (https://libertyunyielding.com/2019/04/28/woman-protests-climate-change-by-gluing-her-breasts-to-a-street-in-london/) office in Fleet Street.

https://www.wibc.com/blogs/tony-katz/morning-news/woman-glues-breasts-street-protest-climate-change

dc9-32
14th Oct 2019, 05:29
Anyone who gets glue airside should be treated as a terrorist suspect.

If people want to glue themselves to planes or airport infrastructure, leave them there. Tow the aircraft away to a remote location on the field and leave a couple of plod to watch them . When they come down, and they will eventually cos the f*******s will get hungry at least, arrest them, charge them and force them to pay the airline/airport disruption bill whilst that aircraft is out of service. Don't tell me this breaches their human rights. They lose that right when they break the law in the first place. Having a boarding card doesn't mean they are not trespassing.

Check Airman
14th Oct 2019, 06:40
I’d have towed the plane to a remote stand and left him there to sort out his own way down.

DaveReidUK
14th Oct 2019, 06:50
Anyone who gets glue airside should be treated as a terrorist suspect.

Thereby increasing the likelihood that a court will find them not guilty of any such charge.

Hmmm ...

KiloB
14th Oct 2019, 07:04
There is far too much time and worry given to ungluing these people. Just Taser them and they will unglue themselves!

CAEBr
14th Oct 2019, 12:43
I’d have towed the plane to a remote stand and left him there to sort out his own way down.

It would have been more fun to do a couple of taxi runs/take off aborts trying to emulate that old TV advert with the guy glued to a board with wallpaper paste :E

Wonder what thrust setting you need to drown out the screams.........

Jet Jockey A4
14th Oct 2019, 13:49
It would have been more fun to do a couple of taxi runs/take off aborts trying to emulate that old TV advert with the guy glued to a board with wallpaper paste :E

Wonder what thrust setting you need to drown out the screams.........

I like this plan!

Aihkio
14th Oct 2019, 13:57
If they adhesively bond themselves to something not belonging to them I dont't quite see how somebody else has the responsibility to debond them. Leave them there and pin a note of the hourly rate they are going to have to pay.

Buy popcorn and wait ...

kontrolor
14th Oct 2019, 14:08
Your judgement seems on a par with your spelling

typical self centric british colonial mindset.

Airbubba
14th Oct 2019, 14:12
Get airborne and see how strong that glue is.

Flying outside the cabin has been discussed previously here on PPRuNe.

From two decades ago, 'Take your Child to Work Day'.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/768x762/b77edcb107e0aacc99273da00fae729e_1a779d8630ec6d2f441410da58e 67dba8fc47b94.jpg

GeeRam
14th Oct 2019, 14:32

I bet you would have had to only pull the ladder away and fired up the donks and got it moving a little bit and I'd bet he would have shat himself and been hammering on the roof pleading for forgiveness...........

This is what you need to do to these morons, instead of pandering to their stupid stunts and giving them the publicity just gives them more incentive to be idiots.

Webby737
14th Oct 2019, 17:07
Nice idea, it's something I would like to see.
Unfortunately in this caring sharing age of political correctness he'd probably be suing for post traumatic stress, and worse, he'd probably win !

Airbubba
14th Oct 2019, 18:40
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/754x1087/egxeceaxyaajt7r_2__4685400bc0adc526570f55145de67f46bdd883bb. jpg

Nice idea, it's something I would like to see.
Unfortunately in this caring sharing age of political correctness he'd probably be suing for post traumatic stress, and worse, he'd probably win !

Here's one potential Extinction Rebellion slawsuit:

Man dressed as broccoli arrested at Extinction Rebellion protestsUK News (https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/uk-news/) | Published: 8 hours ago
The man, who wore green face paint, a suit and a floret-style hat, had previously been seen holding a sign reading: “I’m locally sourced and environmentally friendly”.

Robert Greener, who was in Oxford Street on Sunday evening, tweeted a photo of the protester, with the caption: “A humble broccoli gets arrested on Oxford Street”.

A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said they could not comment on individual arrest cases.

More than 1,300 people have already been arrested in the protests, part of an “international rebellion” with action taking place in cities around the world.

Extinction Rebellion said dozens of activists are expected to appear in court this week, including trials connected with previous action in April.

I'd be surprised if these wackos have quit targeting planes. Years ago two groups of activists copped a walk in Ireland after vandalizing a U.S. Navy 737 since their actions were deemed 'an act of protest'.

Similarly, these Extinction Rebellion folks know that they will get a mere slap on the wrist for damaging a plane. At least up to the point that someone gets hurt.

Wed, Jul 26, 2006Irish Protestors Found Not Guilty Of Vandalizing US Military Jet (http://www.aero-news.net/EmailArticle.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=c05ca8f0-7215-4ac4-8ac1-a54393acd536) Court Rules Damage Was Act Of ProtestThis is a verdict guaranteed to raise eyebrows at the Pentagon and the State Department. A court in Dublin, Ireland, Tuesday found five people accused of damaging a US Navy transport jet at Shannon Airport... not guilty.The five were arrested in February 2003, after they used axes and hammers to beat up the Boeing 737... which was being repaired after a similar attack. All told... the jet suffered more than $2 million in damage.

Irish Protestors Found Not Guilty Of Vandalizing US Military Jet | Aero-News Network (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=c05ca8f0-7215-4ac4-8ac1-a54393acd536)